Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Guinness always so bad in hotels

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

jt69er wrote: »
    If keg is under counter then there is only a fraction of a pint in the line. There is no reason in any bar to throw perfectly good product down the drain.

Ok, I'll edit that;

Keg near pump = short draw. discard save first pour ,equal to what the pipe from keg to pump holds, for some annoying know-all if pump not used in a while,(or for american tourist or suchlike) Is "ullage" still sent back ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How does the glassware effect the pint?
    Very interesting.
    It does seem to be fact that places that don't have the kegs very near the pump have a crap pint even when sending out hundreds of pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

I know of many a pub with Guinness kegs right under the taps and the pints can be very dodgy. One pint is lovely, the next you would not put in a cake..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

My cooler is right beside my keg and about 4-5ft to tap. Great pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Despite the insane price and plastic cup I find Guinness served at gigs to taste good because it's just a tap connected to a keg with no line. Nothing to go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

tuxy wrote: »
    Despite the insane price and plastic cup I find Guinness served at gigs to taste good because it's just a tap connected to a keg with no line. Nothing to go wrong.

The pint in the Olympia is always fantastic...

Getting to the bar which is about 10 deep to get it however....

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

Keg near pump = short draw. discard save first pour ,equal to what the pipe from keg to pump holds, for some annoying know-all if pump not used in a while,(or for american tourist or suchlike) Is "ullage" still sent back ?

No, ullage / waste is not sent back.

tuxy wrote:

This is not the case, you cannot connect a tap straight to a keg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

jt69er wrote: »
    This is not the case, you cannot connect a tap straight to a keg.

Despite it not happening in reality, you actually can. The line between the coupler and the the tap can be as short as you like.

mickdw wrote:
    How does the glassware effect the pint? Very interesting. It does seem to be fact that places that don't have the kegs very near the pump have a crap pint even when sending out hundreds of pints.

The condition of the glassware is probably one of the most important factors which determines the quality of the pint when it reaches the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Don't see the deal. I'd love to know what guiness tastes like to others. To me it's grand. First few sips are wholesome but after that just loses its luster

Beautiful with some blackcurrant in it tho. Game changer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sup of cider before the pint does great things to the taste buds.
    Just a drop of someone else's cider is enough.

n97 mini wrote:
    Despite it not happening in reality, you actually can. The line between the coupler and the the tap can be as short as you like.

Beer has to pass through a cooler before it reaches the tap, so in theory the keg can be as far away as you like, the most important bit is between cooler & tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Beautiful with some blackcurrant in it tho. Game changer

That's racist! :mad:

Guinness and black is fine if you are somewhere the Guinness might not be the may west and you don’t just fancy beers or shorts...or a White Russian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

it's dublin airport I cannot understand...

worst drink in the world for the amount they sell

mrmorgan wrote: »
    it's dublin airport I cannot understand...

worst drink in the world for the amount they sell

It’s very hit and miss there, times you go up and it’s delicious like perfect, I’ve had it other times and barely drinkable...it’s always excellent in the Slaney and Gate Clock but mixed results elsewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Strumms wrote: »
    Guinness and black is fine if you are somewhere the Guinness might not be the may west and you don’t just fancy beers or shorts...or a White Russian

It seems very odd to drink Guinness if you don't fancy beers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

n97 mini wrote: »

Antique-Vintage-Beer-Tap-Handle-Keg-Pump.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Don't ever drink Guinness from a bar that doesn't sell much of it or is closed for long periods. I remember drinking two pints of Guinness in a pub in London before going on to a night club. I was only in the door and sharted. What I unleashed on the jacks was an unholy terror. A dodgy pint of that stuff can open the gates of hell. Embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Strumms wrote: »
    The pint in the Olympia is always fantastic...

Getting to the bar which is about 10 deep to get it however....

That's Murphys though?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    That's Murphys though?

Yep, I stand corrected, it is !:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Murphys is a nicer pint anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Murphys is a nicer pint anyway...

Strumms seems to think so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Washing glasses in detergent is a big problem. Detergent should only be used to clean the dishwasher. Glasses for the most part only cleaned with clean water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Nobody in Ireland says Boxing Day.

Yes they do. I've heard them. But then I get out now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Michael-Ash-Guinness.jpg

If you saw this fella drinking his guinness in the corner, and you got talking to him about the perfect pint , you would be amazed at his story
    (unfortunately it's too late now,rip,Michael ash)

http://allaboutbeer.com/man-invented-nitro-guinness/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you saw this fella drinking his guinness in the corner, and you got talking to him about the perfect pint , you would be amazed at his story
    Sounds like something Diageo would like you to believe. I spoke to him. He was a fascinating guy, but his interest in Guinness had ended decades ago when he retired. I got the impression of someone who hadn't so much as thought about the stuff until they invited him back for the Open Gate launch. I don't think he had even been to St James's Gate before: that's not where the real Guinness came from in his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Because the staff are usually Eastern European and do not get it...that is the non PC answer and a totally non scientific generalisation.

But I think it tends to be too cold for starter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Michael-Ash-Guinness.jpg

(unfortunately it's too late now,rip,Michael ash)

http://allaboutbeer.com/man-invented-nitro-guinness/

That pint does not look great on that pic alone. The glass does not help either- something a bit too largeresque about it which may give a false perception of it being too cold ergo a bad pint.

Advertisement