Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Guinness always so bad in hotels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

Ballso wrote:
    In said hotel where I had the Murphy's I was presented with only the Murphy's and other Heineken lager options. If it wasn't for the novelty of having a Murphy's i wouldn't have bothered tbh.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

jt69er wrote: »
    You haven't a clue what your talking about.

Sure I do. I had a single poured nitro stout from Whiplash the other day, it was fine. I've poured homebrewed Irish stout on nitro through a corny keg setup a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Ballso wrote: »
    Sure I do. I had a single poured nitro stout from Whiplash the other day, it was fine. I've poured homebrewed Irish stout on nitro through a corny keg setup a couple of times.

Slow Life was it? Where do you find the best pint of slow life is in Dublin City :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Agreed op
    That's the reason that I never drink at weddings. Guinness is always shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Look, there are hundreds and hundreds of pubs in Dublin alone serving exactly identical Guinness. Sure there are probably pubs whose environments are so poor it affects the quality of their beer, but this has nothing to do with Guinness stout.

But that is exactly the point lads are making here. It would be down to the pub/bar in question for whatever reason not that quality control at Diageo is all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Anyone remember the push button dispensers ?
    Served in oversized glasses, one press dispensed 1/2 pint, twice for full pint.
    I believe the head was not measured as part of the pint.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The fact remains, sometimes a pint is not as good as it could be, for whatever reason. If this wasn't the case, there'd be no reason to have the lines cleaned every 4 weeks, would there?
    Beer comes out bad (wild yeast infected) if lines aren't cleaned and maintained. We can agree on this. But this is not a special Guinness thing. That Diageo Quality Assurance van may be covered in Guinness branding, but the lad inside is doing the Carlsberg and Smithwicks taps too; the Bulmers branded van is doing all of C&C's lines and the Heineken one all of theirs. And yet the conversation is always about Guinness, in particular, as though its flavour varies more than other beers. The pint of Guinness is exactly as variable as the pint of Budweiser, which is to say: not in any significant way from pub to pub. Because the vans.

"I'll have a lager because you wouldn't trust the Guinness in this place." :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

100% correct, however an awful lot of bar staff do the double pour incorrectly. The second pour should be pushing the handle back instead of pulling it forward.

What difference should that make?

i heard that myself, but often the barman just pulls it the second time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

akelly02 wrote: »
    What difference should that make?

i heard that myself, but often the barman just pulls it the second time

I could be wrong, but doesn't pushing it just give a bit more control as you can't go too far with it? It opens the valve the same way I think.

I had a single poured nitro stout from Whiplash the other day, it was fine.

Was it in the Big Romance?

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Beer comes out bad (wild yeast infected) if lines aren't cleaned and maintained. We can agree on this. But this is not a special Guinness thing. That Diageo Quality Assurance van may be covered in Guinness branding, but the lad inside is doing the Carlsberg and Smithwicks taps too; the Bulmers branded van is doing all of C&C's lines and the Heineken one all of theirs. And yet the conversation is always about Guinness, in particular, as though its flavour varies more than other beers. The pint of Guinness is exactly as variable as the pint of Budweiser, which is to say: not in any significant way from pub to pub. Because the vans.

Good post. It appears we are actually singing from the same hymn sheet, though it may not have been apparent at first. The bit in bold is what I'm getting at, that it is (or can be) variable in the same pub over a certain period of time. It's nothing groundbreaking (again, I've never had a 'bad' pint bar maybe a Paulaner in the Living Room once) but it is 100% noticeable and detectable. Also, didn't someone say that the cleaning is optional? I fail to see how someone can not concede there is a difference between Pub A and Pub B when A had the vans in this morning and B hasn't had them since Halloween or whatever.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    "I'll have a lager because you wouldn't trust the Guinness in this place." :confused::confused::confused:

I think we can all agree anyone who comes out with that crap can be disregarded. In the case of the Paulaner above, the barman offered a 'fresh' one of something else. I declined and moved onto bottles, to his bemusement.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Also, didn't someone say that the cleaning is optional? I fail to see how someone can not concede there is a difference between Pub A and Pub B when A had the vans in this morning and B hasn't had them since Halloween or whatever.

It's not optional and not sure why any pub would turn it down either as it's not costing them any extra. What was mentioned earlier was that Diageo used to give out cleaning chemicals to pubs if they wanted to clean the lines more regularly themselves, I've never seen a pub doing this though.

irish_goat wrote: »
    It's not optional and not sure why any pub would turn it down either as it's not costing them any extra. What was mentioned earlier was that Diageo used to give out cleaning chemicals to pubs if they wanted to clean the lines more regularly themselves, I've never seen a pub doing this though.

I was going off this post (emphasis mine):
    Every outlet serving draught beer in the country is visited by the QDT of the Breweries supplying them for a line clean and routine maintenance every 25>26 working days, unless the outlet refuses the service, which is free btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I was going off this post (emphasis mine):

While it's technically optional, as any pub owner has the right to decide who goes behind their bar, as the Goat said, the vast majority won't turn it down. As he also mentioned, I'm not sure the % of pubs that line clean themselves, in between that 25/26 working day period, but from anecdotal evidence I reckon it's tiny.

Also, the fact that this is percieved as a "free" service is one of the greatest tricks the big breweries have pulled.

Had a chat with someone about this topic today and they sent me this link:

click here
    Not sure if the auto filter will censor the link, but it's sh1t London Guinness (without the spaces).

Service is free to the publican as are all e-call's. Obviously the cost is built into the price of the keg. It is in the Breweries interest to maintain the quality of their products, this is why they took on the line cleaning procedures in 1999, rather than depending on publicans to carry it out themselves, which they were given an allowance for.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

https://youtu.be/UDg6mook-t0

Few of these about the place be your only man, save all that fannying about waiting for pints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had a chat with someone about this topic today and they sent me this link:

click here
    Not sure if the auto filter will censor the link, but it's sh1t London Guinness (without the spaces).

Get teenagers on the minimum wage to work your bar and you'll get badly executed pints of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

https://youtu.be/UDg6mook-t0

Few of these about the place be your only man, save all that fannying about waiting for pints

Fukin witchcraft :).

Probably besmish anyway....and the glass ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

See post #85, modern system lines don't need to be cleaned weekly and Heineken certainly don't clean theirs once a week.

Yes there has been so many modern advances in 8mm plastic tubing!!
    The reason the lines aren't cleaned as often is to save them money, nothing else. If we missed cleaning our lines we'd have all the locals complaining the following week, also it was actually the Smithwicks drinkers who complain more then Guinness drinkers and the keg room was behind the bar, less than a pint in the line.

• Advertisement

Snotty wrote: »
    Yes there has been so many modern advances in 8mm plastic tubing!!
    The reason the lines aren't cleaned as often is to save them money, nothing else. If we missed cleaning our lines we'd have all the locals complaining the following week, also it was actually the Smithwicks drinkers who complain more then Guinness drinkers and the keg room was behind the bar, less than a pint in the line.

Why, in your expert opinion, was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Why, in your expert opinion, was this?

Not sure what you are asking, is it why did the ale drinkers complain more if the pints were bad?
    Maybe they just had more refined taste buds, its a small enough sample, it's just the stout drinkers who normal complained everywhere else if the pints are bad, same as in this thread, but this particular bar had a very good system and if we missed the cleaning schedule due to being busy or people being off, we'd hear about it for the customers fairly quickly

L1011 wrote: »
    Get teenagers on the minimum wage to work your bar and you'll get badly executed pints of everything.

Most barmen in the UK don't care about the two part pour, or serving it in the correct glass. It's not just teenagers on min wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Effects wrote: »
    Most barmen in the UK don't care about the two part pour, or serving it in the correct glass. It's not just teenagers on min wage.

Not doing a two part pour won't make it look noticeably different. That Instagram is full of absolute and utter cockups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That insta account is funny - some awful glasses of beer, alright, but some are just people being stupid. People losing their shlt because Guinness is served in a non Guinness branded glass (perhaps an issue if the glass is nucleated, otherwise it isn't) . People posting pics of pints that haven't settled yet.
    People posting pics of perfectly served pints apart from some drips down the glass. Pints with heads marginally too big or too small.

Guinness bolloxology is alive and well.

Imagine someone freaking out and posting a pic online if they got their Strongbow in a Heineken glass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's the same few lads with the same argument here all the time, the key thing you're missing is that a pint of Guinness IS an integral part of culture, in the greater Dublin area at a minimum and in Ireland as a whole.

Are you just as likely to get a bad pint of Carlsberg as a bad pint of Guinness? Sure thing.

Are you much more likely to see variance in craft beer? Definitely.

Does anyone care on a wide scale about these issues? Not the slightest bit.

This applies to bar staff as much as customers. Tell any bar man worth his salt the Carlsberg is off he'll throw it down the sink and recommend a Heineken or whatever is flowing, tell him the Guinness is off and you're likely to cause an existential crisis in the man, a problem to be tackled before another move is made.

There is more to this than "Guinness bolloxology", the importance of the quality of a pint is attributed by Irish people themselves because the act of having a pint of Guinness has cultural significance. It is passed down through generations. To insinuate the people of Ireland only indulge in this carry on because of marketing campaigns or whatnot is complete elitism and betrays an attitude that no one has a clue but you.

The two part pour is another part of the same thing. Regardless of whether it has any effect on a scientific level it is part of the experience, and there's nothing wrong with that.

While you might think insisting on getting your pint poured in one shows everyone your superior knowledge of the beer game, to everyone in the bar at the time it just shows you're a bit of an ar5e.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It's the same few lads with the same argument here all the time, the key thing you're missing is that a pint of Guinness IS an integral part of culture, in the greater Dublin area at a minimum and in Ireland as a whole.

Are you just as likely to get a bad pint of Carlsberg as a bad pint of Guinness? Sure thing.

Are you much more likely to see variance in craft beer? Definitely.

Does anyone care on a wide scale about these issues? Not the slightest bit.

This applies to bar staff as much as customers. Tell any bar man worth his salt the Carlsberg is off he'll throw it down the sink and recommend a Heineken or whatever is flowing, tell him the Guinness is off and you're likely to cause an existential crisis in the man, a problem to be tackled before another move is made.

There is more to this than "Guinness bolloxology", the importance of the quality of a pint is attributed by Irish people themselves because the act of having a pint of Guinness has cultural significance. It is passed down through generations. To insinuate the people of Ireland only indulge in this carry on because of marketing campaigns or whatnot is complete elitism and betrays an attitude that no one has a clue but you.

The two part pour is another part of the same thing. Regardless of whether it has any effect on a scientific level it is part of the experience, and there's nothing wrong with that.

While you might think insisting on getting your pint poured in one shows everyone your superior knowledge of the beer game, to everyone in the bar at the time it just shows you're a bit of an ar5e.

You've very nicely elaborated on what Guinness boloxology is.
    Where do you think that the cultural significance came from and why does only one alcoholic beverage have this cultural baggage?
    Marketing.
    They didn't just start that this century, you know.
    People have been talking bollox about Guinness for generations - that doesn't make it any less a load of bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

You've very nicely elaborated on what Guinness boloxology is.
    Where do you think that the cultural significance came from and why does only one alcoholic beverage have this cultural baggage?
    Marketing.
    They didn't just start that this century, you know.
    People have been talking bollox about Guinness for generations - that doesn't make it any less a load of bollox.

To you it may be. To me it isn't. Does the fact you're into that scene make your opinion more important than mine?

I could provide a league table of the best pint in the top 5 pubs in my hometown and I could find 20 people to provide the same list in the exact same order, but sure that's all in our marketing stuff in our heads.

To you it may be. To me it isn't. Does the fact you're into that scene make your opinion more important than mine?

I could provide a league table of the best pint in the top 5 pubs in my hometown and I could find 20 people to provide the same list in the exact same order, but sure that's all in our marketing stuff in our heads.

Would you find the same agreement on what five pubs sell the best Heineken?
    If not, why not?

• Advertisement

I don't know.
    Do you think your opinion in more important than mine?

You think what I'm saying is rubbish, I think what you are saying is rubbish.
    I don't see any inequality.

Advertisement