Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Guinness always so bad in hotels

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

RasTa wrote: »
    Strange, lines get cleaned weekly for Guinness over here in the big chain pubs.

Well i have never seen that in nearly 40 years in the industry in Ireland.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Interesting. Do you use the same process on the lager lines?

Lager is done once a month also, they would all be done at the same time (guinness, bud, carlsberg, smithwicks and other diagios together - heineken, coors, applemans, orchard thieves the same but different company.)

Lager has less issues in my opinion, the biggest complaint would be about temperature moreso than quality, however you can see visually when lager is over exposed to yeast or is a bit off, it will be cloudy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ardinn wrote: »
    you can see visually when lager is over exposed to yeast or is a bit off, it will be cloudy.
    Thanks. Amazing that the infection isn't extremely prominent in the flavour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Was back home in Dublin for s Christmas and had a few pints round town and I was very dissappointed with some of the Guinness getting served. Terrible head. Not creamy and not poured correctly. And this was in a number of city centre pubs. I do think they could do with some spot checks or training in certain pubs

BeerNut wrote: »
    Thanks. Amazing that the infection isn't extremely prominent in the flavour too.

Oh it will be - cloudy will be mank in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Currently in a bar with a totally fake but convincing Victorian interior (more rough and ready boozer then polished brass palace, but some of the feted Guinness pubs in Dublin are that) and a decent real fire going. Got given a Guinness by a barman who misheard what I asked for

The pints good :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

L1011 wrote: »
    Currently in a bar with a totally fake but convincing Victorian interior (more rough and ready boozer then polished brass palace, but some of the feted Guinness pubs in Dublin are that) and a decent real fire going. Got given a Guinness by a barman who misheard what I asked for

Trying to figure out what your original order was but stumped...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lagunitas. If you were half arsedly lip reading you've got many similar sounds and hence mouth forms in the right order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That happened to me last night when I asked for Steady(rolling man) and he gave me a pint of Flensburger....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

irishgeo wrote: »
    while i dont drink Guinness , i was in a hotel in cornwall last year and they had a non widget can and vibrating base to serve it.

The Guinness expert in our company nearly ran a mile when the barman got a can out, but when the barman put the half poured glass on this vibrating guinness tap, he had the whole groups attention.

The expert said it wasnt bad. This is what Guinness give to hotels in the UK who dont sell enough to warrant a keg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zjx0rTyZys

8-10 years ago I had one of those in a near-deserted pub in the IFSC (the place was much more about food than drink.) It was fine. The base vibrates at an ultrasonic frequency so the water is needed to transmit the vibration into the glass.

Effects wrote: »
    I heard the keg came from the US, to make sure it couldn't have been tampered with.

But they don't brew in the US, so it would have had to come from Dublin.
    Sounds like a load of nonsense, tbh.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

This stuff about yeast build up - how can this happen with pasteurised beers? Wild yeast somehow getting into the tap? Surely if the tap is used at all, it will be flushed out before it can grow to any extent.

Scrap the cap!

Wild yeast somehow getting into the tap?
    Where there's air there's yeast, and it'll happily take up secure residence in beer lines.

Is there air in the line? Shouldn't the flow of many pints per day wash anything out?

Scrap the cap!

Shouldn't the flow of many pints per day wash anything out?
    I'm sure many a homebrewer has ruined a batch with that logic :) Yeast are stubborn. They get everywhere that's not sanitised and sealed, and they'll stay there until pasteurised or bleached out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

But they don't brew in the US, so it would have had to come from Dublin.
    Sounds like a load of nonsense, tbh.

Doesn't matter where they brew it. They still want to be able to control any possible threats to the president. It's plausible they wouldn't just let him drink form a keg that anyone could have accessed.

You'll have to explain to me why the Secret Service supposedly thought that shipping a keg from Dublin to the US, then shipping it back to Offaly, is somehow safer than just shipping a keg from Dublin to Offaly.

How many thousand kegs come out of James's Gate every day? You'd be better off trying your luck on the Lotto than trying to predict which one would end up being drunk, in part, by the US president.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't doubt that the beer in the keg is the same everywhere, or that Guinness are doing their job cleaning the lines. I think it is a beer more affected by mouthfeel than lager or cider, so gas levels and temperature would be variables that could affect the quality of the pint (though I know some people prefer a warmer pint).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You'll have to explain to me why the Secret Service supposedly thought that shipping a keg from Dublin to the US, then shipping it back to Offaly, is somehow safer than just shipping a keg from Dublin to Offaly.

How many thousand kegs come out of James's Gate every day? You'd be better off trying your luck on the Lotto than trying to predict which one would end up being drunk, in part, by the US president.

It's pretty clear why they would take control of the keg and keep it within their own secure environment prior to it being served to the president. Total assurance that it's not been tampered it. Any other system is liable to tampering at some point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Guinness out of the newer glasses is terrible

load of bollox

Strange, lines get cleaned weekly for Guinness over here in the big chain pubs.

over where its once a month in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭noker

I have worked in a few pubs and lines were always cleaned weekly.

noker wrote: »
    I have worked in a few pubs and lines were always cleaned weekly.

where, they are done once a month in Ireland , when did you work on a pub last ?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭noker

where, they are done once a month in Ireland , when did you work on a pub last ?

In Wcklow and Wexford. Both heineken and guinness cleaned the lines weekly. December 2018 was when i last worked there. All busy pubs .

In Wcklow and Wexford. Both heineken and guinness cleaned the lines weekly. December 2018 was when i last worked there. All busy pubs .

Absolute nonsense to be fair, if the lines were cleaned weekly it wasnt guinness doing it, it was the owner/manager - i have worked cleaning lines on and off, it doesnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

Nonsense, monthly as stated before.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

jt69er wrote: »
    Nonsense, monthly as stated before.

Is it inconceivable that an Irish pub maintain its own lines? Does anyone do it other than a few craft pubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Pipes are too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Brexit land.

Always wondered why Irish bar staff aren't trained in that manner. Tis simple too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Brexit land.

Always wondered why Irish bar staff aren't trained in that manner. Tis simple too.

I think originally Guinness wouldn't trust pub landlords to do it and now the pubs expect it so they've no choice but to carry on doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

load of bollox

not a load of bollox in my opinion. and im no guinness snob

Advertisement