Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Issue with SIRO and Gigabyte in Ireland

• 21-12-2019 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

So SIRO finally activated the Gigabyte that has been installed in my apartment since the summer.

I thought, right, ill ring around, find out who has the best terms, I am very aware of this Unlimited Broadband line you get with the hidden "Fair Use" in the Terms.

I currently have Virgin Media 500MB, and when they say Unlimited, they mean it, no "Fair Use", I use easily 1-1.8TB a month due to 4K Streaming, PS4, Steam downloads. Anyone who says "Oh you must be doing something dodgy if your going over 1TB a month", Nah pal, 4K Streaming alone uses about 7.2GB of data an hour. Just downloaded Red Dead Redemption 2 on my Steam, 108GB. VERY VERY easy to go over 1TB these days, especially with the entire point of 1GB speeds to be able to download what you want when you want

Vodafone, Pure Telecom, Sky, Eir and Digiweb, they all, every single one of them has this hidden "Fair Use Policy" of 1TB which is an absolute disgrace when you think your paying for 1GB speed and can only use that speed for just over 2 hours before you reach your "Fair Use", think about that for a second

You use your full speed, constantly, for 2.2 hours in a single month, and your breaking the Unlimited broadband you signed up for.

Virgin Media really is the only contender in the Irish Broadband market when you have them as a choice. And I know how bad their customer service is, trust me

Sorry for the rant, just so so so disappointed that every single SIRO provider is basically telling you to limit your usage of this super super fast internet.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Sorry for the rant, just so so so disappointed that every single SIRO provider is basically telling you to limit your usage of this super super fast internet.

We don't. I know that's no help to you if you're not in Castlebar or Westport, but I think it's only fair to point out that your generalisation is inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

We don't. I know that's no help to you if you're not in Castlebar or Westport, but I think it's only fair to point out that your generalisation is inaccurate.

While I appreciate your point Paul, I did, in my OP, say exactly what Companies did, and sadly no, not near Castlebar or Westport sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

And what about Airwire, are they available in your area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

tuxy wrote: »
    And what about Airwire, are they available in your area?

Nope, they only offer VDSL which is funny, my guess is they don't update their availability checker very often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Nope, they only offer VDSL which is funny, my guess is they don't update their availability checker very often

They update it more frequently than most but do not cover everywhere for SIRO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Depends on where you are as they do not servie all Siro area.

I think they only cover the following Siro areas: thlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I use Virgin 500Mbit and I can't see myself bothering to change to Siro/FTTH if it comes. It's a brilliant service. Virgin already bring fibre to my house anyway then go RF over glass so it's future proofed, but wifi and home networks in Ireland are going to become the massive limiting factor as broadband speeds improve.

We will be paying billions to bring fibre to every nook and cranny and people will have one crappy router in a 2500sq ft house thrown down behind the TV on the ground in one corner and lucky to be getting 15 Mbit upstairs.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Our availability checker is probably the most updated source you will find in Ireland. You can even see in the box for each product group, when it last was updated.

But if it is SIRO, you are after, then we do not offer that nationwide. We only offer SIRO, where our backbone passes one of their interconnects.

So as our website states: Currently Athlone, Castleconnell, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin. SIRO only gives us the data for the areas, that we have with them. Not everything.

As for unlimited, your statement is indeed inaccurate. We certainly have no limits and no hidden FUP on our FTTH and SIRO products. Also, some of the providers you listed don't offer SIRO at all. So looking for SIRO services from them won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

> Nope, they only offer VDSL which is funny, my guess is they don't update their availability checker very often

The folks @ Airwire are superb at ensuring the availability checker on their website is bang up to date and exactly as Airwire: MartinL has outlined. They are also super helpful to folks here on boards.ie and go above and beyond in many cases to help and assist people many of who are not even direct customers. Other telcos really could take a leaf out of their book IMHO. I have no affiliation with the company in any way just an observer so to speak.

Advertisement