Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice required: deceased pet

• 21-12-2019 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

My dog is due to be put to sleep on Monday morning. Things have gone downhill a lot today and I don't think he's going to last the night. He's not in any pain thankfully.

This might seem like a stupid question but if/when he passes what do I do? I will go to vet as planned to be cremated but how do I care for him in the meantime?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

Very sorry to hear your dog is unwell.
    When my dog was put down I brought her home to be buried the next day.
    I left her in the living room in.her bed until I had the spot dug.
    Only advise i would give is if your dog passes and you are keeping him/her until the vet opens then don't be surprised if there is any discharge from the dog. Your dog will likely also urinate so maybe place him/her on something that can be cleaned or thrown away.
    Perhaps consider covering the dog with a blanket when he/she passes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh no, sorry to hear this op :(
    I've been in a very similar situation. My dog died on New Year's Eve, and I assumed I'd have to keep him for a couple of days, until Jan 2nd anyway, so the vet could take care of his cremation.
    But... I rang the vet, and they actually met me at the surgery so I could bring the lil fella in to be stored appropriately. So this might be an option.
    In the meantime, I kept him in a cool room in the house, which may have to work for you depending on how you're fixed.
    Another possible option, if you're going for cremation, and if you're anywhere near them, is to call Pawprints Crematorium in Trim. They are simply wonderful, and have certainly moved goalposts to accommodate me with other dogs since the lil fella above. You can bring your dog directly to them. Whether they're open on Sundays I don't know, but worth a try? They're great as you can get the ashes back really quickly from them too. I don't know whether the same service is available from other pet crematoriums... if there's another one nearer you, might be worth calling.
    Sorry... it seems odd talking about all of this ahead of the fact :(
    All the very best, this is a tough old time for you I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So sorry to hear about your dog. I lost my cat just 2 days ago, and what happened in my case is that the vet has kept her there in storage, and the cremation service will pick her up from there on Monday. Other vets and cremation services might operate differently mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I'm sorry I've no advice to offer, but I am very sorry to hear this. Always painful to lose a beloved pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Wrap in a blanket and put newspapers on the floor.

Sorry for the loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

Really sorry to hear about your dog.

My friends dog died recently, they booked into a crematorium in Meath.

They were really professional, each person get a time slot to call ( i guess so you have privacy and not queue or something), the lady they met was really respectful it as all very compassionate and done in a way you have space and time.

I would expect they would have really good advice I know they can arrange for someone to come with a basket can collect your dog that has passed. I'm sure it costs money but they will likely give you advice in the morning for free. If you have a room you can keep cold that would be best in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Look the vet crematorium stuff is for later you are probably more concerned with the immediate. All you can do is be there for him. Make him comfortable as possible and sit with. Remember you are his world and like any of we'd like our loved ones with us when we are that sick. Best of luck and i hope he passes peacefully and quickly. Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

When a similar situation happened to us & the vet had no room for a large dog, the pound helped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thank you all. I've been worrying about what happens after if we have to keep him until Monday. He is very near the end now so it's just about keeping him comfortable.

How are things now? Did you manage to get any sleep?

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    How are things now? Did you manage to get any sleep?

He passed away just after 2am. My husband and I were with him and one of the cats who has stayed with him the last few days. We've wrapped him in blankets and left him in his bed, he looks peaceful and at rest. We are all in bits but grateful for the last 13 years of joy he brought and grateful he got to stay at home until the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭jellybear

So sorry for your loss eviltwin. Mind yourselves.

eviltwin wrote: »
    He passed away just after 2am. My husband and I were with him and one of the cats who has stayed with him the last few days. We've wrapped him in blankets and left him in his bed, he looks peaceful and at rest. We are all in bits but grateful for the last 13 years of joy he brought and grateful he got to stay at home until the end.

That's the best outcome for him Eviltwin.

Take it easy over Christmas.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I know it's sad, but it seems a very beautiful end to what seems to have been a wonderful life.

Crap time of the year, but good and funny memories can bring joy and a way of celebrating the dogs life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm so sorry for your loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

So sorry to hear that, eviltwin. I've just gone through the same thing with our cat, and agree it couldn't have happened at a worse time of the year. Just try and remember the good times you had with him, and stay strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I'm so sorry for your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

So sorry for your loss eviltwin in time you will take comfort from the fact he had a happy life and was safe and comfortable with ye right beside him at the end. My Bertie had to be put to sleep in January and I never thought I'd be ok again but I am.
    You be good to yerselves over Christmas and do whatever makes it easiest on ye. Don't mind other peoples expectations just look after yerselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Yes the sentiment is the same, take care in the knowledge that you gave him his best life and he will leave you with wonderful memories to cherish & love. Thank you for keeping us updated here as I always worry when our beloved pets aren’t well. Also thank you for the love and compassion your family have given him for his life.

• Advertisement

We brought him to the vet today, it was OK. Not as bad as I expected. A few weeks until we get the ashes back and then we'll scatter them in his favourite places. Vets were so lovely. I've packed away his stuff, I just need it gone now to move on. My other dog and the cats have been a great comfort, it's like they know we all need extra cuddles.

Saying goodbye to a beloved pet is so hard but I would not have missed out on the last 13 years for anything. RIP Bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So thankful for that peaceful ending! Would that all were thus. Take time to heal.... The one thing I have left physically of my dog ( died of heart trouble 15 months ago) is her lead, which we rarely needed out here.

It now hangs by the door and is looped round the grab rail and the door handle in a gale to stop the door flying back. So she is still protecting me, and the memories soften.

Blessings from here; and we all know on this forum what this is like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

His last hours were the best anyone could possibly offer. Take much comfort in that.
    I remember when ours started getting on and going downhill I always hoped for an ending as peaceful as that. Unfortunately that wish didn’t come true when the time came, we couldn’t even get him home for the final few hours.
    Getting the ashes back makes you feel like you’ve been run over by a bus but the sense of comfort it brings is one I can’t explain in words. You have to feel it to understand

Today, I realised this will probably be my little dogs last Christmas. She will be 15 in Feb.

She loves her walk and wants to go, but cant go far. She is stopping like she is seeing things, but there is nothing there. Like dog dementia.

Coughing with a choke at the end.

I'm going to give her extra cuddles this Christmas and appreciate this time.

Thanks to this thread for that. Hope you Ok Eviltwin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Gael23 wrote: »
    Getting the ashes back makes you feel like you’ve been run over by a bus but the sense of comfort it brings is one I can’t explain in words. You have to feel it to understand

I agree with this so much. I had my old cat cremated, and a lot of folk said I was mad because it wasn't cheap, but it genuinely does give a great sense of comfort.

I hope you're doing okay, eviltwin.

Advertisement