Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patience

Options
  • 21-12-2019 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭

An observation after trying to bake cookies with a 3 and 6 year old

Patience is a funny old thing. Mastered only by Buddhist monks in far away mountain top temples, and those of us waiting for the last payment of a 35 year mortgage on a semi-d. But parenting patience is a different animal. You get to experience the wrath of yours and your child’s ego, who will win out? How much of that self-raising flour will actually end up on the floor and not in the bowl, rendering the entire “fun activity” of baking peanut butter cookies a disaster ( baking is scientific people, every measure matters!). I set about trying to make the weekend as jam packed as possible with activities, I had slacked off a bit previously in the last few weeks and felt Netflix guilt. But trying to cram your guilt away by “achieving” activities is not the way forward for some one with patience issues. It was time to take a step back and realize they’re only tiny people who just want to have a good time. They’re not old enough to have any beef with you, they’re not old enough to know the difference between Demerara sugar and muscavado sugar (neither am I actually). The outcome of our activities doesn’t need to have a result. Once we had finished making the floor look like a snowy vista that Tony Montana would be proud of, we hopped in the car for a trip to russborough house in blessington. The plan? No plan. Just go, see what happens, and patience isn’t an issue. The peanut butter cookies were ****ing stellar BTW.

Advertisement