Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 re-image required - can I save or re-install apps and settings etc??

Options
  • 22-12-2019 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a problem with my Lenovo T580 which long story short requires a return to their Depot tomorrow and a re-image of the machine.

Is there any pragmatic way for me to re-install the software and settings I already have on the machine when I get it back a la the way apps, settings and passwords can be moved from one Android phone to a new one when you are upgrading your phone?

I use OneDrive and MS Office 365 so my data is in the cloud and the main apps I use can be easily re-installed but I also have a number of on device apps, printer connections etc I'd like to keep/re-install and settings I'd like to replicate when I get the machine back.

ATM the only option I can think of is literally writing down a list of the apps installed on the machine (or take screen shots of the program list in Control Panel -> Programs.

Any tips/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Wonder what is the reason it has to be re-imaged, once is still bootable...

If in position, you could clone entire computer to VHDX and load it as virtual machine elsewhere for reference.
    https://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-convert-physical-machine-hyper-v-virtual-machine-disk2vhd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

For Windows I'd personally recommend you actually welcome a fresh install. They tend to become bloated. If you're really not a fan of installing lots of things again then I'd suggest https://ninite.com/ or even https://chocolatey.org/ if you're okay with CLI. Whenever I have to touch a windows system those are my go-to for getting the software I need onto them quickly.

Chocolatey or Ninite will help get the software back on faster. No configuration backup for things like printers... on any platform AFAIK. As for passwords this would be a good time to start using a password manager. You can use a free one and backup the database like with keepassXC or a paid one and have it in the cloud. I've got more passwords than I've had hot dinners so it's absolutely essential in modern times tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Wonder what is the reason it has to be re-imaged, once is still bootable...

Its a USB C issue.

I've a T580 which has USB C and Thunderbolt functionality and I've 3 Acer monitors with USB C functionality but the T580 won't work with any of them via USB C. Power works fine and the video starts off fine but constantly re-sets every few minutes i.e. instead of video being on both the Acer Monitor and the laptop screen the Acer monitor goes black, the content that was on the Acer monitor (which would be the main monitor I use for work with the laptop screen just secondary for monitoring emails etc) moves to the laptop screen, it stays that way for 5-10 seconds and then restores the content back to the Acer monitor.

The T580 is up to date with firmware and drivers etc and has had the motherboard replaced so the only thing left in their opinion is to test it at their depot in the UK on other (non Acer) USB C monitors and if the same issue occurs the only step they have left is to do a full re-image, that's what they've advised me.

It's possible the Acer monitors (all same model) are the problem but I've another Lenovo Yoga C740 which works fine on them via USB C and I've also ruled out a bogey cable by using 3 different cables so returning it to them is very much last chance saloon.

Not sure what they'll do it they do a re-image and it still won't play nice with a USB C enabled monitor but I guess I'll cross that bridge next week sometime.

I work for myself and the laptop is my main work tool hence this is a good time to ship it over to them. I'd like to avoid the hassle of having to set everything up again but I'm prepared to do so if necessary to fix this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

54and56 wrote: »
    ... and has had the motherboard replaced so ...
    MoBo with "history", huh?
    Something tells me re-image won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

MoBo with "history", huh?
    Something tells me re-image won't help.

I agree with you but if I'm to progress a warranty claim for a replacement device I have to let them run through their procedures otherwise I won't get very far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement