Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alexa's new greeting when asking the time

Options
  • 22-12-2019 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any way to disable Alexa's new greeting whenever you ask the time?

It's fairly cringeworthy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

She doesn't say "feck off mrcheez" when I ask the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

found this...

https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/devices/echo-alexa/524703-how-do-i-turn-off-alexas-cheerful-greetings
    Oh, but I think I may have found the solution to my problem:

I talked to some Amazon Alexa tech support person today for over an hour. That person kept telling me that I had a skill enabled and he said to go to the link he provided and disable the skill and that would fix it. This is the link he gave me: https://www.amazon.in/AudioWize-Greeting-Skill/dp/B079TD74LC

I noticed it was an Indian url and I changed it to .com before going there. It gave me an error that said, "You are not eligible to enable this skill due to geographical restrictions." It was also a skill that I have never seen before and most definitely did not enable. So I told him that I never enabled that skill. He told me I had enabled it on Tue 08 Jan, 2019. I assured him that I had not. Then I told him that when I went to that url that it gave me a geographical restriction error. Then, I assume, he noticed that he had given me an Amazon.in link instead of a .com link, so he gave me the .com link to the same page. I tried to explain the error. He must've thought I was still going to his amazon.in link and it took an amusing amount of time to convince him that I was getting the geographical restriction error on the .com link. Eventually it clicked and we were back on the same page, but still no closer to a solution. I also explained to him that I had never enabled that skill, and that the skill's description says that it requires a trigger, so that isn't the issue that I'm trying to solve. It took a while to convince him of this.

Eventually, he asked me to ask Alexa to "disable the greeting skill." She replied that she didn't know that one. Then he asked me which device I had used for that. I told him it was my only Tap. Then he asked me if I got the cheerful greeting on the Tap. I asked the time, and got no annoying cheerfulness. I got excited at this bit of success. I told him that she gave me just the time, as I want it. Then he asked me to try on another Alexa device, so I went in the other room and tried it on my Echo. Got the cheerful damn greeting. Bummer. Told him and he said he couldn't find an Echo on my account. Turns out it's registered to my girlfriend. He said no problem. Give it some time and it should be fixed on her devices, too. And now it is.

So, evidently, it's not something that you can fix on your own, but if you call customer support, they can fix it for you. It may or may not have something to do with a skill called AudioWize Greeting Skill. I hope this stays fixed for me. If it doesn't, I'll be back here, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Im not getting any cheerful greeting , I feel left out. Maybe Alexa doesnt like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nothing out of the ordinary here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Weird, I'm constantly getting "It's 9:30 ... I hope you are having a wonderful day", or "It's 2pm ... have a good weekend" etc

It's fine if that was occasional, but it happens so much that I'm hesitant to ask the time now :)

I'll see if I have a greeting skill added, I certainly didn't add it myself

• Advertisement
Advertisement