Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkinsons Disease

• 22-12-2019 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi I've a parent with this. He's struggling very badly putting on clothes, especially trousers. We don't nor are we likely to have Home Help in the near future. Has anyone else here experience of Parkinsons and how did they cope around adapted clothing ?.
    Thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm afraid I have no personal experience to share OP, but have you checked out websites like this https://www.adaptawear.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

Does your Dad live alone? Could you afford to pay for private home care? Do you or any of your family members live locally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: TrixIrl - your questions are no doubt well-meaning, but the OP is asking for help in relation to clothing. I feel you are heading off topic in broadening the subject and for the moment it would be better to stick with the clothing question unless the OP indicates they want wider help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Hi op, I would recommend having a community-based occupational therapist come to assess your Dad. They will be able to identify his strengths and give him and you the best advice regarding any aids which may be helpful in maximising his independence. His local public health nurse may be needed to refer to OT, or you may be able to directly request an appointment yourself.
    Good luck, it's an unpleasant progressive disease, but do make the most of local community services.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Sussex18

Thanks all.. Paying for a bit of private Home Help, even a few hours a week is probably how it will start. How much do Home Care companies usually charge? ".

He doesn't technically live alone but the other person who lives there is gone early most mornings and spends a few nights away most weeks. So not technically alone but alone a lot.
    Thanks ��

• Advertisement

Sorry, didn't mean to take the thread off track but thought that those might help us figure out a way for her Dad to get dressed.

With the person he lives with leaving early most mronings that rules out that avenue. But private home help might cover those mornings. The problem is, most care companies will only contract by the hour (about 25e) even tho your Dad may not need an hour's help at the mo.

An OT referral for aids and appliances would be a great idea as a PP mentioned. There can be lengthy waiting lists tho so it might be worth giving it A Google and experimenting with reachers etc.

Dunnes also do a smart looking pant thats really more of a pull up tracksuit (but in slacks fabric) so no fiddly buttons, belt etc. Likewise slip-on shoes, jumpers etc can bridge the gap.

Also, delaying getting dressed for an hour or so after he's taken his morning meds might help as the tremors may have settled a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Sussex18 wrote: »
    Hi I've a parent with this. He's struggling very badly putting on clothes, especially trousers. We don't nor are we likely to have Home Help in the near future. Has anyone else here experience of Parkinsons and how did they cope around adapted clothing ?.
    Thanks
    S[/QUO

I have experience of this and while adapted clothing may help maybe elastic waist trousers or velco strapped shoes I feel your parent would benefit more from talking to the occupational therapist who could give you tips and tricks on how to handle this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nickie3

Hi Sussex,

Just a wee note about websites that sell adapted clothing, they are often geared towards dressing someone else, not yourself. For example trousers with full length zips down the sides. Your dad probably struggles with buttons and zips, elastic waisted ‘comfort’ trousers will be easier to put on. Buy them a size bigger than he usually wears. Your OT will give you advice regarding long handled shoe horns, dressing aids etc.

Advertisement