Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing fuse board

Options
  • 22-12-2019 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Have an old tyoe screw in fuse board in farmyard, I think the fuses have blown in the box as lights have stopped working around the yard. Would it be best to replace this old type box with a newer trip switch version? Would this be a big job? All work would be done by a qualified electrician.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have an old tyoe screw in fuse board in farmyard, I think the fuses have blown in the box as lights have stopped working around the yard. Would it be best to replace this old type box with a newer trip switch version? Would this be a big job? All work would be done by a qualified electrician.

Yes I would recommend getting it changed.

Old style ones are not safe and also work g may need doing too.

Get in some new LED lighting in and out and a few sockets if needed.

It won't be anywhere as near expensive as doing a house one as much less on it.

Probably a lighting circuit or 2 and same for sockets.

Would recommend PIR for outside but get wired that you can switch to stay on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Yes I would recommend getting it changed.

Old style ones are not safe and also work g may need doing too.

Get in some new LED lighting in and out and a few sockets if needed.

It won't be anywhere as near expensive as doing a house one as much less on it.

Probably a lighting circuit or 2 and same for sockets.

Would recommend PIR for outside but get wired that you can switch to stay on too.

In what way are they not safe?
    What type of cost would be associated with it? Would be powering 3 sheds so lights and a socket in each

They have no RCD protection and many were known to put wire in the fuse if they kept blowing, they would be using them today if they were still safe....( They aren't)

What cable was used between sheds as this may well all need changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

They have no RCD protection and many were known to put wire in the fuse if they kept blowing, they would be using them today if they were still safe....( They aren't)

What cable was used between sheds as this may well all need changing.

Not sure of the type of cable, it's a black wire that's all I know

Quite possible swa cable so may be ok. I'd recommend getting the electrician to decide on its suitability.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Some really old cables have rubber butane insulation. This is a natural material that perishes and as such should be replaced ASAP. If this is what you have a rewire is the only sensible option.

It is also important to appreciate that old fuse boards were never designed for the far larger electrical loads that we have nowadays. As other posters have alluded to RCDs provide much enhanced protection too.

Advertisement