Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The beauty of A Christmas Carol

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

I have to say, Guy Pearce is now my first ever SILF :D (I know, I know, showing my age again...)

And if you think that's weird and wrong, I'd say that we have long gone past the weirdness stage in this adaptation, what with the child sex abuse of young Scrooge, and him blackmailing a yummy mummy into sex... I wonder what delights await us in the last episode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

seenitall wrote: »
    I have to say, Guy Pearce is now my first ever SILF :D (I know, I know, showing my age again...)

And if you think that's weird and wrong, I'd say that we have long gone past the weirdness stage in this adaptation, what with the child sex abuse of young Scrooge, and him blackmailing a yummy mummy into sex... I wonder what delights await us in the last episode?
    You might enjoy Tom Hardy in Taboo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDV8tXLLOmg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

You might enjoy Tom Hardy in Taboo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDV8tXLLOmg

Thank you, I might - I do like him. As it happens, he was a producer on this version of ACC, and his wife, Charlotte Riley, plays the Ghost of Christmas Present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

seenitall wrote: »
    Thank you, I might - I do like him. As it happens, he was a producer on this version of ACC, and his wife, Charlotte Riley, plays the Ghost of Christmas Present.
    Apparently he's very appealing to mummies, even mummies who don't have children, on CBEEBIES Story time. I'm sure I can't think why. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

AKF wrote: »
    Sadly it isn't strange that it was left out.

What Scrooge said was true, we don't want to admit it but the truth is surplus population is the biggest problem facing humanity (particularly at this moment in time) and pathetically no government or international body has the balls to say this publicly, and the generally cowardly the media never wants to say it either so the BBC hasn't the balls to leave the line that most people remember from the book because the truth hurts and their afraid of being accused of being racist if the line is left in.
    There is some seriously dark, uncomfortable sh1t in this adaptation. I don't think anyone was gonna leave out any unpleasant truth. Think they were just ****ing with the audience.

It's a line in a classic book. The BBC is hardly afraid to leave that in. It's even included in a kids version (the Muppets one). And how would it be seen as racist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I prefer Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭matchthis

Missing Die Hard 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's a fantastic novel.

You can't go wrong with its basic premise that money alone can not bring you happiness and treating other people with kindness (especially those less well off) is of far greater importance.

A major side result of the book is the role it played in popularising Christmas in popular culture and in society : Christmas was barely even being celebrated in England in the mid 19th Century.

Advertisement