Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Festive 500

Options
  • 22-12-2019 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Last your I managed 450k between Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve and I hadn't signed up, so this year I've signed up...don't want to waste me effort this year.

I don't really have a plan though. I'm hoping to get out on Christmas Eve for 100+k and then do 100k on the 26th, 28th, 29th and then the last 100k between the 30th and 31st.

I'm sure this "plan" will probably fall apart after a few beers on Christmas Day, but it's good to have a plan right? :)

So who else signed up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Do turbo sessions count? Haha!!!

Did this once & no interest this year with other planned sessions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

Last year:
    24th 100km
    25th 45km
    26th 112 km
    That meant i only had less than 250 to do in 5 days, did it in 4 if i recall correctly. Toughest day by far was the 26th..horloxed but mentally fine after that.
    Signed up again just in case i needed it to hit my 10,000 km target...only need 72km now though..pressure off :)
    Good luck with it.. weather needs to be kind though, last year was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

secman wrote: »
    Last year:
    24th 100km
    25th 45km
    26th 112 km
    That meant i only had less than 250 to do in 5 days, did it in 4 if i recall correctly. Toughest day by far was the 26th..horloxed but mentally fine after that.
    Signed up again just in case i needed it to hit my 10,000 km target...only need 72km now though..pressure off :)

How did you find the spin on xmas day?. I only get the young lad for a few hrs in the morning so was planning on using the turbo in the evening but i think my parents would have me checked into the asylum if i went out on the bike :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Signed up in the past but never bothered. I'm in Wicklow for christmas, and was going to bring the bike, but to be honest, a few doys off would do be better. Went past my target a while ago. I'm not in the adding bulk phase of my winter otherwis known as eating anything in sight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Last year:
    24th 100km
    25th 45km
    26th 112 km

No kids in my house on Christmas day, so l too might get out for a short spin on the 25th. I think the way you did it might work for me too... that is, get out for 100k+ on the 24th and 26th and i should manage it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Signed up, won't be able to get out until Stephen's Day. Would be happy to make it to around 300KM!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Signed up but hit my 12k target yesterday so don't know if the motivation will be there

Will try to get a decent spin in tomorrow to start it off right

How did you find the spin on xmas day?. I only get the young lad for a few hrs in the morning so was planning on using the turbo in the evening but i think my parents would have me checked into the asylum if i went out on the bike :p

Christmas morning spin was great, hardly any traffic, heading out again with the same lad on Christmas morning, sure herself was only getting out of the shower when i got back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm in, I've completed the last 4 so like the Dubs I'm going for 5 in a row.

Will kick it off in the morning and see how it goes after that, looking at the long term forecast it seems frost won't be an issue for the first 4 or 5 days of it but wind and rain might be....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm 455k off my annual goal. Have to take the wife Christmas shopping tomorrow though, travelling for the full day next Saturday and wedding on Sunday. I'd need to disappear and do it all in three long rides if I was to make it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I see some people on Strava are on nearly 400km already....I must get the finger out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ReReg Numpty

In like Flynn. Might actually finish it this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Personally I’m just glad to get out..........

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Probably nothing festive about putting down 500km over Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I see some people on Strava are on nearly 400km already....I must get the finger out.
    3 riders on 500+ already!

I'll be happy to get 250 done. I'll need it, myself and the 2 girls are already into selection box #2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'll be happy to get 250 done. I'll need it, myself and the 2 girls are already into selection box #2 :D

That's doing well!!!

70k today for me. Just couldn’t drag myself out of the bed early enough! Reality has hit home! This is not going to be easy. I won’t get out tomorrow, and the weather forecast looks like a good bit of rain over the next few days. Still, no one said it would be easy either! :) Best of luck to everyone giving it a go!

The Rapha 500 is much tougher in the northern hemisphere winter weather, you really need a good dose of luck with the weather , managed 72km today to round off 10,000km for the year. Best of luck to you all .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

101km done today. Probably won't get out again properly until Friday

399km to go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

79 done yesterday, on the way to and home from work. In Sligo until the 27, so hope to put up at least 80km on each of the 26 and 27th. Managed over 700km last year, but will be doing well to get 500km this year, due to family events and work.

If it was easy everyone would be doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Just need 160k to round off 10,000 km for the year.
    Good luck to anyone attempting 500 for the season!

Two targets met today.

1. Achieved my 13,500k target for the year

2. Completed a 120k spin to bring my Festive 500 total up to 190k.

Still short of what I’d hoped for, but if the weather holds for the next few days, the F500 is looking possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

On 225 km after today and Christmas eve, probably just a short spin tomorrow before hopefully a longer day on Saturday. Weather has been kind so far, lovely out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

50km in civvies today from Sandycove to Kilternan. There are reasons why lycra is useful #chafing.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

101 km around Sligo from 7am this morning. Driving rain for most of the way around. Soaked, but up to 180km now. Hope to do another 80-100km in Sligo again tomorrow, but the forecast is for rain again. Not going to be nice!

3 riders on 500+ already!

Something not right there... is that even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

07Lapierre wrote: »

If you live somewhere flat and warm,....and possibly with your parents.

07Lapierre wrote: »

A guy in NZ did 504 km on 24th Dec.took him 22hrs !
    Much easier in Southern hemisphere, apart from warmer weather , they also have close on 20 hours daylight, they should have to do 1000km to even it up :)

• Advertisement

A guy in NZ did 504 km on 24th Dec.took him 22hrs !
    Much easier in Southern hemisphere, apart from warmer weather , they also have close on 20 hours daylight, they should have to do 1000km to even it up :)

22hours??? I mean really? Only a nut job would cycle for 22hours on Christmas Eve! I mean, even I have a better life than that!

Advertisement