Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Festive 500

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

07Lapierre wrote: »
    22hours??? I mean really? Only a nut job would cycle for 22hours on Christmas Eve! I mean, even I have a better life than that!

That ultra stuff always seemed pointless to me, just don't get it, cycling is also for the enjoyment of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Agreed! Did 120k today... having a few beers this evening and I hope to get out on Saturday for another 100+k. If I don’t, I won’t lose any sleep over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Another 75km in the bag. Honestly, I find it easier mentally and physically to ride 200km in one go rather than 70km a day for four days.

The Ultra distance gives you headspace and you get to cover a lot of the country. It easier than riding the same small loops near home.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

secman wrote: »
    That ultra stuff always seemed pointless to me, just don't get it, cycling is also for the enjoyment of it.

Some people do get enjoyment from the ultra stuff . Different horses for different courses etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

What a cracking day for a spin!
    Gilet unzipped after 20k.
    Gloves removed after 1st coffee stop and just 66km left to 10000 kms for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

Absolute miserable dank misty damp day in the sunny southeast , spend the day sourcing a cot and assembling it for a grandsons visit tomorrow, hopefully out early in the morning, fingers crossed, haven't been on the bike since hitting 10,000km on the nose. :( on Christmas eve.

Giving the same weather for the week end so in Sunny Balmy North County Dublin its get the last of the xmas miles in!

koutoubia wrote: »
    What a cracking day for a spin!
    Gilet unzipped after 20k.
    Gloves removed after 1st coffee stop and just 66km left to 10000 kms for the year.

I've been stuck indoors all day! on call until 4pm :mad:

The Met site is forecasting 40kph winds for Saturday and Sunday, but it'll be a balmy 14°C! Breakout the suncream.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Out for 114km Wicklow and Sally Gaps - was getting blustery on the way back in so glad i left early

Nearly half way there at 230 done will see what the weather holds tomorrow and Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The Met site is forecasting 40kph winds for Saturday and Sunday, but it'll be a balmy 14°C! Breakout the suncream.
    for where? for dublin, met.ie is showing quite calm conditions for the next 48 hours.

Hmm, Dublin City is showing as calm, south Dublin is showing as very windy!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

100km done today in Sligo/Roscommon. Back in Dublin tomorrow, but I'll only have time for 60km in the morning. Up to 281 now. Half way there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hmm, Dublin City is showing as calm, south Dublin is showing as very windy!
    Am currently looking at a beach near Donabate and it is not a picture of serene calmness.

....And thats 10,000kms for the year!
    2019 over and out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

118km today brings me up to 405km in total, hopefully there'll be a bit more shelter in tomorrows club spin and I'll get the 500 done.

There's been a few of us out all the days, makes the kms go a little easier.

Managed 80 this morning, had to be home for 10am. Up to 361 now. Going for a few pints this evening, so if I manage 40 tomorrow I'll be happy.

115km out and back to Baltinglass into that southerly headwind. I did get PRs on the way home. Every cloud etc. 157km left.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I love the way some can get it over and done with on one ride - pretty impressive for the northern hemisphere.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2956345810

Trust me, the temptation just to start riding and keep going is very strong! If this was an Audax I'd have done the 500 in just over 24 hours. But Christmas and family are important. I'm just glad to be getting out.

• Advertisement

Up to 442km now. Being going out early to not eat into family time over the Christmas. Got a dynamo front hub and fitted a Busch + Müller Lumotec IQ2 Luxos front light recently, loving it. Really lights up the road so no problem heading out and hitting the minor roads an hour or two before first light.

Another 60km this morning. 96.5km left with two days to go. All of these are solo rides with no shelter from the wind and a questionable taste in Spotify playlists!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

105km on the Sunday club spin got me over the line this morning, that's pretty much it for 2019 now, roll on 2020.

Two days to go and I’m at 368k. I have a route mapped out for tomorrow which should get me over the line. Confidence is building that I’ll get this done. (Regretting not getting out on Christmas Day mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Had a look to see where I was at, 269/500 so no chance of completion given what's on my plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

finished mine today with a spin to the Wicklow gap and the up to the sally gap and home. horrible headwind getting to the N81, ascending rathmore hill i was having second thoughts about my route..headwind on the N81 was terrible too, lessened a bit when i turned for the WG in Hollywood, after Laragh it was either a tailwind or ctw to home thankfully.

Happy New Year to all and safe cycling in 2020 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I reached 540km today but I cheated a bit. Arrived here in Lanzarote on the 22nd, so taking an 8-day festive window from then brings me to today. I managed to get out every day so far but it's hard enough to accumulate mileage here. The temperatures are absolutely perfect but the terrain and wind combine to conspire against.

fat bloke wrote: »
    I reached 540km today but I cheated a bit. Arrived here in Lanzarote on the 22nd, so taking an 8-day festive window from then brings me to today. I managed to get out every day so far but it's hard enough to accumulate mileage here. The temperatures are absolutely perfect but the terrain and wind combine to conspire against.

If your looking for sympathy, you’ve come to the wrong place! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

07Lapierre wrote: »
    If your looking for sympathy, you’ve come to the wrong place! :)

😁 I'll settle for seething jealousy.

• Advertisement

Out early this morning to do a quick 60km out to Howth and Malahide. That's my 500km so Job done. It's a hat trick for me, 3 Festive 500s in a row.

Well done to everyone having a go at this.

Advertisement