Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravel Bike for circa 1200

Options
  • 22-12-2019 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a gravel; adventure bike for circa 1200 euro, does anyone have any recommendations? I previously had the Trek Checkpoint AL3 recommended to me, would anyone here have any experience of this make?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what size? there was someone selling a croix de fer here recently, i don't know if it sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

what size? there was someone selling a croix de fer here recently, i don't know if it sold.

Hi, medium I think? I'm 5"8

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111775313

small size (which i think is a 52 in old genesis money) is probably near enough to what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

No particular recommendations, but gravel bikes are the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

I'm in the market for a gravel; adventure bike for circa 1200 euro, does anyone have any recommendations? I previously had the Trek Checkpoint AL3 recommended to me, would anyone here have any experience of this make?

New second hand ?

• Advertisement

benneca1 wrote: »
    New second hand ?

Either?

LennoxR wrote: »
    No particular recommendations, but gravel bikes are the best!

What you ride Lennox?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Either?

Sorry didn't read thread properly I have a 2019 diverge comp which I am thinking of upgrading but it is too big for you its a 56. If you can find a smaller one they are lovely bikes the head shock and seat post take a lot of the buzz out of gravel roads and reduce tired arms.

What you ride Lennox?

I ride a rigid Cannondale Slate. It's great but that model has been discontinued by Cannondale.

This is a pic here up on Ballinascorney last week https://www.instagram.com/p/B6GkL8Ylv4D/

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

LennoxR wrote: »
    I ride a rigid Cannondale Slate. It's great but that model has been discontinued by Cannondale.

This is a pic here up on Ballinascorney last week https://www.instagram.com/p/B6GkL8Ylv4D/

Good photo ,
    I’ve the same bike , great fun .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Only for them not doing Irish BTW, I'd be looking at Planet X. I'd love the Tempest (ti), but their "Space Chicken" carbon bike has been at your budget when they've done € for £ pricing over the last couple of months. I'd say they're due to do that again fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

I got a Vitus Substance last year on CRC. Got it on sale at around the 1250 mark. Great fun and a fantastic commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I was thinking of getting a Trek Checkpoint ALR 5.. anyone have any thoughts on this brand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Only for them not doing Irish BTW.

Has BTW changed? I thought you could buy form anywhere in EU?

Or is your work limiting to certain suppliers?

Hi all, I just realized ALR 5 is 2000 which is way outside my budget unfortunately. I think I have narrowed my search down to following:

Checkpoint ALR 3
    Giant Revolut 2
    Merida Silex 200

Could anyone advise on any of those options?

Hi all, I just realized ALR 5 is 2000 which is way outside my budget unfortunately. I think I have narrowed my search down to following:

Checkpoint ALR 3
    Giant Revolut 2
    Merida Silex 200

Could anyone advise on any of those options?

The Trek Checkpoint is reviewed here if that's any help to you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DlxQ7Luh-4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Just try and test ride each of them, with consistent tyre pressure and saddle properly adjusted for you, see which one you like most and choose on that basis or which has best Group set / wheel basis

You'll enjoy any of them so don't torture yourself just get it done and get out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Talk to Eamon in Altitude in Waterford, they stock the Trek and Giant range incl gravel. No connections.... just a LBS with great service that are worth supporting

Advertisement