Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is broker the way to go?

• 23-12-2019 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭

So, my car (8 year old Mondeo) insurance is up in a couple of months. My wife, who has not driven on her own insurance ( but is named on mine) for 4-5 years is getting a car around the same time. This car will be 8-10 years old, probably 1.2 litre or so. To complicate further, my daughter is starting lessons in the new year and we were going to put her on one of the cars as a named driver.
    I thought it would be better to go with one insurer for everything to get a cheaper quote, but have been told this mightn't be the case.
    Would it be better to get a broker to sort out policies for all three of us on both cars, rather than do the rounds ourselves?
    And if so, can anyone recommend a broker.
    Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Anything off the straight and narrow, like your situation, a broker is the best way to go. There is no charge for getting a quote and no obligation to take their offering. As for recommendations, just look for a long established one in your area

There is nothing to be gained by offering all your business to one insurer. They might like one aspect and not another. Go with the best for each policy on a stand alone basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Anything off the straight and narrow, like your situation, a broker is the best way to go. There is no charge for getting a quote and no obligation to take their offering. As for recommendations, just look for a long established one in your area

There is nothing to be gained by offering all your business to one insurer. They might like one aspect and not another. Go with the best for each policy on a stand alone basis

Brokers can be as bad as the insurance companies for any type of complex policy or "excotic" vehicle. I've had them say we'll call you back and when they called me back they couldn't quote me, the poor person in the call centre was really confused when they got the call!

Some companies do offer discounts if you have more than 1 policy with them but I always found them to be the most expensive companies when I'm looking for quotes. No insurance company offers multi car policies so you have to get quotes from each company for both cars and drivers, then you have to see if swapping drivers around will reduce the prices. Then you can try a few brokers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement