Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF senator gourging at the trough.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

And people wonder why there's a low turn out for elections !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

We all know FF is full of gangsters.

I guess we thought FG might be more honest. They aren't.

I guess we believed in New Politics. It was waffle.

FF = FG = Corrupt.

Mayo politicians seem to only care about gouging the taxpayer. Enda and Mulherrins are very bad for it. Pee Flynn taught them well!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

95-99% of politicians are self serving. You would be a fool to think that these type of people go into the Dail to make the country better. That is the guise alright but it is purely to get as much as they can, for as long as they can.
    Same goes for a fairly large portion of upper levels of the civil service.

They are lucky that a lot of the Irish are ignorant and lazy/too cowardly to make a difference - so the status quo is upheld.

The country needs a new party and to get that, there needs to be a huge mindset change at every parish pump as to stop people voting for either cheek of the same arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Seanad was retained to give Enda a kicking.

We had our chance and we blew it... in typical Irish style

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

And then Enda promised to reform it and even commissioned a report.....but nothing happened......

• Advertisement

That’s 23-24 grand a year in travel expenses!

I’ve said it in another thread. I have carers come 3 times a day to help me with my dad and it’s a mix of HSE employees and agency staff. They have different calls to different homes 7 days a week. Both use their own transport but the HSE employees get a travel allowance to cover costs but agency staff have to pay for their travel out of their own pocket.

Sometimes the agency staff may only have 2 half hour calls in a day. That’s one hours work. Those types of days they are pretty much working for nothing (travel costs and tax). I called workplace relations about it as I was convinced that they should be paid for driving from job to job but they told me it’s not illegal.

This guy with his 23-24 grand a year travel expense is probably around the same amount as the agency carers gross wage which they have to pay their own expenses out of.

Totally wrong. So, if you’re a politician reading this....... you disgust me for this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

That’s 23-24 grand a year in travel expenses!

I’ve said it in another thread. I have carers come 3 times a day to help me with my dad and it’s a mix of HSE employees and agency staff. They have different calls to different homes 7 days a week. Both use their own transport but the HSE employees get a travel allowance to cover costs but agency staff have to pay for their travel out of their own pocket.

Sometimes the agency staff may only have 2 half hour calls in a day. That’s one hours work. Those types of days they are pretty much working for nothing (travel costs and tax). I called workplace relations about it as I was convinced that they should be paid for driving from job to job but they told me it’s not illegal.

This guy with his 23-24 grand a year travel expense is probably around the same amount as the agency carers gross wage which they have to pay their own expenses out of.

Totally wrong. So, if you’re a politician reading this....... you disgust me for this carry on.

As I wrote in my above post, they are in the job to get as much as they can for as long as they can.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/katherine-zappone-travel-expenses-2732813-Apr2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

bunderoon wrote: »
    As I wrote in my above post, they are in the job to get as much as they can for as long as they can.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/katherine-zappone-travel-expenses-2732813-Apr2016/

I’d actually love to see what route she does take in the end. I’m 100% sure it’s the 22km one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin has admitted a party senator has questions to answer over his poor voting record in the Seanad, where he claimed €73,000 in expenses but didn't vote on most days.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/fianna-fail-senator-who-missed-three-quarters-of-seanad-votes-has-questions-to-answer-martin-admits-972014.html

I’m sure people will be just as outraged here as about other politicians on other threads.

Won’t hold my breathe as it’s not a negative FG story.

I was interested until you got all party political broadcast.

Personally I don't hold FF in any high regard. It's hard to be disappointed in a party when you have such low expectations.
    The Seanad should be closed. It's the elephants graveyard of Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin has admitted a party senator has questions to answer over his poor voting record in the Seanad, where he claimed €73,000 in expenses but didn't vote on most days.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/fianna-fail-senator-who-missed-three-quarters-of-seanad-votes-has-questions-to-answer-martin-admits-972014.html

I’m sure people will be just as outraged here as about other politicians on other threads.

So not much time off for the the Fine Gael social media spin team this Christmas I see. I presume we the taxpayer are paying you double time for working over Christmas. Wouldn't ye be better off trying to do something useful like, I don't know, sort out the homeless crisis, rather than trotting out the same old line of Fianna Fail are bad. We all know that. We got it when we ****ed them out on their arses 10 years ago and put you lot in instead. 10 years of it's not our fault it was broken when we got here is wearing a little thin. We put ye in to fix the stuff Fianna Fail messed up. 10 years later it's becoming clear you are just as corrupt and utterly useless as they are. No one cares about this stuff. If you honestly think a few FF TDs voting incorrectly or some FF senator not voting at all is going to paper over the utter shambles you've made of the homeless crisis, or the Dublin Children's hospital, or the national broadband schema, or the rental market, of the economy outside the M50 then God help me I'll trottle the first FG candidate who turns up at my door. It's no wonder we're all voting independent. You make Mattie McGrath look like the decent option!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

touts wrote: »
    So not much time off for the the Fine Gael social media spin team this Christmas I see. I presume we the taxpayer are paying you double time for working over Christmas. Wouldn't ye be better off trying to do something useful like, I don't know, sort out the homeless crisis, rather than trotting out the same old line of Fianna Fail are bad. We all know that. We got it when we ****ed them out on their arses 10 years ago and put you lot in instead. 10 years of it's not our fault it was broken when we got here is wearing a little thin. We put ye in to fix the stuff Fianna Fail messed up. 10 years later it's becoming clear you are just as corrupt and utterly useless as they are. No one cares about this stuff. If you honestly think a few FF TDs voting incorrectly or some FF senator not voting at all is going to paper over the utter shambles you've made of the homeless crisis, or the Dublin Children's hospital, or the national broadband schema, or the rental market, of the economy outside the M50 then God help me I'll trottle the first FG candidate who turns up at my door. It's no wonder we're all voting independent. You make Mattie McGrath look like the decent option!!

Just as I thought.

I’d test the waters and see if it gets the same reaction as Dara Murphy’s thread and I’ve been proven correct.

The usual posters here can’t have anything posted that paints another party in a bad light like FG are.

Can we not discuss FF because of FG?

Seriously the nonsense about paid FG spin units here and somehow I’m part of it is absolutely pathetic.

It really is, do you actually believe it like?

EDIT- you’ll throttle the first FG candidate that comes to your door?

Course you will mate course you will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Eh, you were discussing FF, and then brought FG into it.
    Two faced of you to start rambling towards others for your own-like actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

The Seanad was retained, because most people realised giving FG even more of a free hand than they already had was a "bad thing".

The people wanted it retained and reformed rather than outright abolished - but in typical FG style, Enda blew it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just as I thought.

I’d test the waters and see if it gets the same reaction as Dara Murphy’s thread and I’ve been proven correct.

The usual posters here can’t have anything posted that paints another party in a bad light like FG are.

Seriously the nonsense about paid FG spin units here and somehow I’m part of it is absolutely pathetic.

Any corruption or dodgy actions, regardless of party affiliation, should be fully investigated and necessary sanctions taken where warranted.

Happy?

I don't think anyone has a problem with that by the way. I do think they have a problem with the "law and order" party and their hangers-on trying to claim some sort of moral and political high ground and employing whataboutery tactics, when their own TD's have been exposed as being at the same things and more!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just as I thought.

Your obviously not big on self awareness, you brought FG into it in the very first post and even steered the conversation that direction. If you were doing it as an experiment then the things you put into the OP would make any experiment scientifically worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

FF are the same as FG. Same right wing politics. Same careerist attitudes. Never voted either of them them and never will.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fianna F leader MicheMartin has admitted a party senator has questions to answer over his poor voting record in the Seanad, where he claimed €73,000 in expenses but didn't vote on most days.

What's your own thoughts on the story?

All I can take from your op is that you copied and pasted a fairly short snippet of info from the link, gave no opinion of your own on the matter, and then said something about negative fg stories.

I mean people might be forgiven for thinking you didn't actually give a sh1t about the "gourging" of the senator, you just want a story to divert from FG

Martin should give your man his marching orders imo. No use shouting from the rafters at others if you're going to be all trousers and no arse when your own lads caught at it.

McMurphy wrote: »
    What's your own thoughts on the story?

All I can take from your op is that you copied and pasted a fairly short snippet of info from the link, gave no opinion of your own on the matter, and then said something about negative fg stories.

I mean people might be forgiven for thinking you didn't actually give a sh1t about the "gourging" of the senator, you just want a story to divert from FG

Martin should give your man his marching orders imo. No use shouting from the rafters at others if you're going to be all trousers and no arse when your own lads caught at it.

My thoughts is this is worst than what I thought initially.

“RTE Investigates claimed staff at Dr Swanick’s medical practice in Bellmullet said he was available to see patients on days when he was registered as attending the Seanad.”

Now that’s proper playing the system, been in two places at the same time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

“RTE Investigates claimed staff at Dr Swanick’s medical practice in Bellmullet said he was available to see patients on days when he was registered as attending the Seanad.”

That’s not your thought, just more spin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Spin? Is it not factual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Seen that, horrible scheming bastard's...... What did you think when you learned he wasn't the only one at such skulduggery though?
    Enda Kenny missed 96% of votes since stepping down
    Two of those trips involved instances where Mr Kenny had also recorded his attendance at Leinster House. In May 2018, he was paid for a speaking event at a two-day conference in Zurich, Switzerland, hosted by Credit Suisse.
    In November 2018, Mr Kenny had a speaking event in London. This event was called "JP Morgan: Best of British Conference," and on this day, Mr Kenny's attendance was recorded in Leinster House. Despite this, he missed all three D votes that day, two of which related to Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

FF are the same as FG. Same right wing politics. Same careerist attitudes. Never voted either of them them and never will.

I don't think left wing is in the ascendancy either though or ever is it
    Right wing is perceived as wrong but all it is ,is the embodiment of selfishness
    Everybody is selfish
    Anyone that says they aren't is a liar

Selfishness though should have some limits,let's call that decency
    Slopping too much from the trough is indecent
    Being ambitious or careerist is not
    Limit incentives and you will get sloth
    Get more and more sloth and you'll get a failing economy

Shefwedfan wrote: »

What’s spin???

Ahhh you’re one of them posters who hates seen a negative news story unless it’s FG.

I get it now.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Seen that, horrible scheming bastard's...... What did you think when you learned he wasn't the only one at such skulduggery though?

Shower of corrupt bastards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mortelaro wrote:
    Selfishness though should have some limits,let's call that decency Slipping too much from the trough is indecent Being ambitious or careerist is not Limit incentives and you will get sloth Get more and more sloth and you'll get a failing economy

Our 'successful economy' doesn't seem to be all that successful for society

I don't think that politicians are overly compensated. Oireachtas members are generously paid but, whether we like it or not, it's a very important job. It has long hours and the work can be difficult. You also have to interview for your job every few years by going before the electorate.

There are plenty of career politicians but they must be doing something right - if they keep getting re-elected. Our system of democracy is the least worst system available. You vote for the group/person who is most closely aligned to your views. If they don't exist, run for office yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And people wonder why there's a low turn out for elections !!!

But only a select few people can vote for the Seanad

How undemocratic is that

vicwatson wrote: »
    But only a select few people can vote for the Seanad

How undemocratic is that

60 Seanad seats

Taoiseach selects 11

NUI/TCD graduates select 6

Outgoing/incoming TDs/Senators/Councillors select 43

Seems like an ok(ish) system to elect the upper house. Most of the decisions are made by elected people. The university panel, with its 161,000 members, is a bit of a relic of times past. But the people had their chance to amend it, they declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

KaneToad wrote: »
    You also have to interview for your job every few years by going before the electorate.

There are plenty of career politicians but they must be doing something right - if they keep getting re-elected. Our system of democracy is the least worst system available. You vote for the group/person who is most closely aligned to your views. If they don't exist, run for office yourself.

On the first point yes they go for their jobs again every few years whereas most employees once in the job have to perform consistently or get sacked they only have to convince a voters that they are there for them every few years. I’d argue they have it easier than normal workers.

On the second point keeping getting elected certainly doesn’t mean your doing a good job it means your constituents think you are, there is a world of difference between those two things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

KaneToad wrote: »

Politics is in a bad state in this country and has been for some time.

They are better than option B is the premise on which these people are voted in time and time again.

They then do a u-turn on every policy they promise.

We need a new party that can deliver on its promise, preferably one that's not religiously inclined and with new open mindedness to solving problems, like the state of our healthcare and general infrastructure that FG have run down to nothing over the past 8 years and what FF did before. We also need one that wouldn't have the working class paying for every other layabout through taxes.

They don't exist though.

Advertisement