Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF senator gourging at the trough.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

tjhook wrote: »
    I don't think so. The people had their choice to scrap the Seanad.

Personally, I think a Seanad/Senate is a great concept. It should be a balance against the relatively unaccountable Dáil with its whip system. Unfortunately, the Irish Seanad is both badly appointed, and has insufficient power. Given a chance, I would vote to properly restructure it. Scrapping it would make it very difficult to do that in the future.

The vote was back in 2013, they have had 6 years to reform it and nothing has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Whether it is the Blueshirts or the Soldiers of Bankruptcy, it is just a case of snouts in the trough, arses in the air.

A pack of useless eaters in the Dail and Seanad with little talent amongst any of them, save to gouge the taxpayer and expand their wallets and waist lines.

A pox on the lot of them.

Merry Christmas to you all as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

The vote was back in 2013, they have had 6 years to reform it and nothing has changed.

Yes, agreed completely. I think in this case it reflects very badly on the government rather than on the citizens who voted based on the text in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Difficult to make significant changes to the Seanad without constitutional change. And is there public appetite for another referendum on the subject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

The state of the head on him

You can tell he's a trough gorger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Difficult to make significant changes to the Seanad without constitutional change. And is there public appetite for another referendum on the subject?

Well it's doubtful we will get the chance to find out because I can't see them holding another one anytime soon.

After hearing about cases like the one in the OP and seeing nothing has changed over the last 6 years I'd be reasonably hopeful it would be got rid of this time around.

As I said though it doesn't look like it will happen.

Sure why would it, fail to get elected as a TD and we will give you a nice cushy number in the Seanad for the next few years until the GE rolls around again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

Looks a smug git with it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well it's doubtful we will get the chance to find out because I can't see them holding another one anytime soon.

After hearing about cases like the one in the OP and seeing nothing has changed over the last 6 years I'd be reasonably hopeful it would be got rid of this time around.

As I said though it doesn't look like it will happen.

Sure why would it, fail to get elected as a TD and we will give you a nice cushy number in the Seanad for the next few years until the GE rolls around again.

Well it certainly wouldn't be politically feasible to hold another abolition referendum for another ten years or so. There might be a case for a referendum on a reform package in the next Dail but the question of whether joe public cares enough about the senate one way or another still arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Neither FF nor FG are right wing :rolleyes:

Putting the concerns of private business above the tax paying public is right wing and that's FG all over.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Putting the concerns of private business above the tax paying public is right wing and that's FG all over.
    Both parties do that and usually in a manner that suits themselves somehow. Either way, they are not right wing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Both parties do that and usually in a manner that suits themselves somehow. Either way, they are not right wing!

What's your definition of Right wing? For me it's not social issues like same sex rights etc. It plays a role but neither are known for their ethics and were never going to go against popular opinion.
    For me it's how the tax payer is put behind the wellbeing of business and that's most of what FG are about.
    But back to FF, they are more meat and potatoes with brown envelopes than cynically blaming the tax payer for their woes.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is not a thread about FG so please do not bring your dislike of the party into it

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

What's your definition of Right wing? For me it's not social issues like same sex rights etc. It plays a role but neither are known for their ethics and were never going to go against popular opinion.
    For me it's how the tax payer is put behind the wellbeing of business and that's most of what FG are about.
    But back to FF, they are more meat and potatoes with brown envelopes than cynically blaming the tax payer for their woes.

We dont really have left or right wing parties in Ireland. We have one large party that pretends to be two separate ones so that the electorate think they have live in a democracy.
    They were separate but that was decades ago going by their actions over the that time.

I would love for someone to give me actual proof that there is a difference between FF and FG. The trough is just that. It does not have a party name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The Seanad is a complete and utter waste of money.

The majority of voters don't agree with you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

KaneToad wrote: »
    The majority of voters don't agree with you.
    The voters chose to keep it as at least if it exists it can be reformed. They didn't vote to say it wasn't a waste of money in its current form (which it is because it rarely goes against the government line)

Advertisement