Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD School of History, Tutors?

Options
  • 23-12-2019 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,
    I am just wondering if anyone has experience with working as a history tutor in UCD? It's a job that interests me. I have been googling to see how they hire tutors and what the requirements are. I recently graduated with a MA History and I have a BA History from UCD also. I'm interested in doing a PhD but can't afford to do that right away so tutoring sounds like a good compromise. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Hi, I worked as a tutor in UCD not in History but in another Department. I was completing my Masters. When I was doing it you would only get a few hours a week + they only employed fellow postgraduate students. You just applied to Deptartment. It's not going to fund a PHD though.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

vgf1995 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am just wondering if anyone has experience with working as a history tutor in UCD? It's a job that interests me. I have been googling to see how they hire tutors and what the requirements are. I recently graduated with a MA History and I have a BA History from UCD also. I'm interested in doing a PhD but can't afford to do that right away so tutoring sounds like a good compromise. Any advice?

The hiring is informal and pretty much on a who-you-know basis. Insofar that UCD the institution is involved, you'll find that HR is insanely incompetent to the point they couldn't find their arse with both hands (expect a long time to be set up, for them to lose your details, almost broken claim software, and for them to take at least a month to pay you each time you submit a claim).

Pay per hour is grand (€27) but the work is difficult, and corrections are typically way underpaid. The most difficult bit is trying to get students, who are used to secondary school where you aren't supposed to talk or have an opinion, to engage in open ended discussions. I can't overstate this last point.

Advertisement