Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gestational diabetes on second or subsequent pregnancy

Options
  • 23-12-2019 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I had gd on my first pregnancy and ended up on insulin. No problems with baby’s blood sugar after she was born but she was jaundiced. She was left with me after the birth for skin to skin etc (attended Rotunda).

I’ve been going to breakfast club since the start of this pregnancy. The most recent bloods were borderline elevated at 14 weeks.

If you had gd on a previous pregnancy, at what stage was it picked up on a subsequent one?
    At what stage did you go on insulin if it was needed?
    Did your baby have problems with blood sugars when they were born?

I’m a bit disappointed not to have got further along before showing any irregular results. I’ve tried to stick to the diet as closely as possible but did have a couple of meals out for Xmas parties etc during the 4 week period between blood tests. Also ate a couple of celebration sweets in work 😱 (like maybe 10 sweets over the course of a week).
    Any experience you can share would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I had GD in my first pregnancy but maintained it through diet. I attended the breakfast club in the Rotunda from about 8 weeks on my last pregnancy. I needed a very small dose (2ir) of insulin only at night from 35 weeks and was induced at 38 weeks because my baby was measuring big. She was 9lb 2oz when she was born, 1.5lbs heavier than my first kid. Even though I was only on a minimal dose of insulin for a couple of weeks, they put my daughter's size down to the GD. I had heard that the GD progresses faster if you had it in previous pregnancies. You have my sympathies trying to stick to the diet at this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭BriarPatch

I had GD on number 2 diet controlled. Pregnant on number 3 now almost 36 weeks started breakfast club at 14 weeks and I think started to have problems with my fasting bloods at 18 weeks. Managed to get to 32 weeks before starting insulin but it was a battle really as my fasting bloods were never under 5 so I kind of knew the Insulin was inevitable!
    I was really disappointed but I've accepted it ow and just getting on with it.
    Have had my weight scan in the ultrasound dept and they reckon baby is on the smaller side of average and defo won't be as big as Ds2- 9lb 2.
    Baby will still need the blood sugars checked 3 times after birth. Hoping they'll be OK and she can stay with me.

Advertisement