Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wood Pellet Auger Motor sizing

• 23-12-2019 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all,
    Merry Christmas!

I've recently installed a pellet feed auger from my silo to the boiler hopper.
    After figuring out the various timing setting of the boiler electrics it 'seemed' things were all set.
    I installed and set the auger and then manually powered-up the auger to prime/fill with pellets. All worked well and pellets started dropping into the boiler at a reasonable rate.

I then left the boiler to operate as expected.
    A few hours later I checked and found the boiler in error condition with a 'no fuel' message. Upon checking the feed auger motor, it was incredibly hot.
    I have checked the auger tube and flight and there's no sign of anything catching and when I filled there was no obvious noises to indicate any jam.

I then reset everything after pulling the auger, emptying, re-aligning etc.. and unfortunately same again.

I manually wired the auger and this time the motor seems to try to start and then stop after around 1/2 a rotation. So I'm thinking there are two possibilities:

1. There's a jam condition that seems to happen after a while of operating and when the auger is full of pellets.
    2. The motor is not strong enough to pull the auger round when full, and then possibly stops if there's any sign of a little catch etc..

The fact that the motor is hot when I check makes me think the motor is trying but failing.
    The motor still works when removed from the flight.

So I'm wondering if there's a sizing guide that might indicate my motor needs to be larger.

Just to provide the added detail:
    1. The auger length is 3m
    2. The motor is rated at 25W
    3. The motor gear is 90:1
    4. The auger angle is around 42 degrees.
    5. The auger flight is steel, the pipe plastic (around 1/2 inch thick)

I have noticed that when I try to start it after a fail, there does seem to be a kind of rubbing noise, like something dragging on the inside of the pipe. But it's odd that no such catching ever happens when I'm loading the auger.

I can't see how else to stop a jam and as such wondering if the motor should be able to push past this resistance and hence looking at the motor size.

This was all bought as a kit from Ariterm (Feedo), so I'd expect it to work.
    Here's the motor on another site (I have checked the model no.) https://www.eldkraft.se/produkt/motor-inklusive-vxel1375

Any thoughts, advice or real-life experience would be extremely welcomed.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jaydev

also if anybody has any thoughts as to whether swapping-out the gearbox from 90:1 to a 180:1 may help.
    I'm assuming the extra torque would help reduce the load on the motor but would be great to hear from anybody who has better experience or understanding.

Thanks.

Advertisement