Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what did Ireland do to improve on gender gap recent year ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

It is a completelt idiotic point to describe women being elected in Northern Ireland,

because we are talking about the severe lack of women being elected in the Republic of Ireland.

Again, for the second time. You missed the point been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

What about the long list of corrupt male politicians in Ireland?

Charlie Haughey telling everyone to tighten their belts, while he bought an island for himself, and stole money from a Cancer fund - swiftly comes to mind.

Yes. : ) the majority of the Dail is male. The majority of the daily is corrupt. You get the expected outcome by a simple odds calculation.

Maybe it's not trolling and it's just a case of the individual not having the capacity to understand..

That is a really excellent post. It is really nice to talk to some one , who doesn't call me 'stupid' or 'crazy'.

Thank you!

I don't tend to insult posters directly. I've learned the lesson of hitting the posters argument instead.

Don't get me wrong though. I find your posts to very naive and awfully one sided.
    The end game is where we develop as a society, to sit down with each gender, and ask them what they need in society to improve their lives.

Putting aside the economic, financial and practical requirements that people and employers have in a modern society... Err.. I just can't. Sorry.
    We are not doing that at all, right now! Shouldn't that be the first thing that a developed society does:
    1) What do you, as the female gender need
    2) What do you, as the male gender need.

Discussion is important.

I have to go, but I will come back later.

Actually you didn't answer any of my questions. You deflected. Which is not what I consider a discussion. I didn't ask what they needed. In all likelihood, we're never going to live in a Utopian society where everyone gets what they need... the resources just aren't there for such an environment. I asked what was the endgame and the measure of equality for someone like yourself.

And you've since answered other posters since your response to me, so... leaving the answering of my post on the long finger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

bunderoon wrote: »
    Maybe you are a troll

I don't think there's any maybe about it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Fanny **** wrote: »

It's hard to tell with Feminists...

Check out this article about "Patriarchy Chicken"....I personally know Feminists who believe in this....if you open a door for them you are just as bad!!!

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/feminism/2019/02/how-play-patriarchy-chicken-why-i-refuse-move-out-way-men

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarahdunners

I don't tend to insult posters directly. I've learned the lesson of hitting the posters argument instead.

Don't get me wrong though. I find your posts to very naive and awfully one sided.

Putting aside the economic, financial and practical requirements that people and employers have in a modern society... Err.. I just can't. Sorry.

Actually you didn't answer any of my questions. You deflected. Which is not what I consider a discussion. I didn't ask what they needed. In all likelihood, we're never going to live in a Utopian society where everyone gets what they need... the resources just aren't there for such an environment. I asked what was the endgame and the measure of equality for someone like yourself.

And you've since answered other posters since your response to me, so... leaving the answering of my post on the long finger?

Woh! The arrogance! I never said, that I DID answer any of your questions. I said that I had to go.

Do you expect me - in the Christmas holidays - to be on here every second of the day? Wind your arrogance back in.

There are MORE than enough resources for everyone in society. Lets look at another example: You are well aware , as am I , that there is no need for anyone to be homeless in this day and age.

There are more than enough resources to provide for them.

Check out this article about "Patriarchy Chicken"....I personally know Feminists who believe in this....if you open a door for them you are just as bad!!!

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/feminism/2019/02/how-play-patriarchy-chicken-why-i-refuse-move-out-way-men

Again, what is a feminist? I have never referred to the word, and I have never heard women talk about it in real life. The only people that I have heard talking about feminism - are men on internet forums.

It seems like a thing they do - to try to talk about women like they are a hive mind. It is utterly laughable

Why are you constantly talking about "feminists". It is like you are obsessed with them. You'd want to get that seen to.

Re: Troll.

I had to google what a Troll was, as the term sounds like something that a small child would say.

It says "a troll is some one that posts off topic messages".

So that is completely rubbish. We have been on topic for the whole thread.

Do you have to be over 18 to be on boards, because judging by some of these posts, I hink that some of you are teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Again, what is a feminist? I have never referred to the word, and I have never heard women talk about it in real life. The only people that I have heard talking about feminism - are men on internet forums.

It seems like a thing they do - to try to talk about women like they are a hive mind. It is utterly laughable

i dont know where you are living but femanism is talked about all the time. every second female celeb talks about them being a femanist.
    i have heard loads of woman talking about femanism and 'pay gap' nonscence.

i find it hard to believe that you get regularly told how stupid you are and are constantly put down etc but never hear the constant femanist rubbinsh that is spread across our media. if you are in the middle east etc i can see that happening but not ireland or the rest of the developed world

• Advertisement

I had to google what a Troll was, as the term sounds like something that a small child would say.

Do you have to be over 18 to be on boards, because judging by some of these posts, I hink that some of you are teenagers.

this is a better definition of an internet troll

A person who posts remarks or comments onto internet forums or message boards in an attempt to get someone to comment negatively to it and to redirect attention onto himself. Usually, these remarks are controversial, stupid, off-topic, inflaming, illogical, or childish. Sometimes, the comments are enough to enrage the people in the forum to want to respond back with their own negative remarks which starts a flame war and changes the topic and attention of the discussion. Since, internet trolls are attention whores, this is exactly what they want since they probably don't get enough attention in real life and needs someone else to acknowledge their self-worth and existence

adit to add that im not calling anyone a troll. and the each side of a debate can consider the other to be trolling

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You speak of paygaps and oppressed/oppressor narratives straight from the Feminist Handbook on Victimhood, subtitled; Women are always agentless victims and men are always to blame. To complete the set I await "rape culture" and "patriarchy" You also studiously and near completely avoid any counter arguments to your position. Which suggests a lack of confidence in same to say the least. So utilising the if it quacks like a duck test seems to fit.
    And yet you appear to feel men, particularly Irish men are of a hive mind and outrageously, nay fantastically sexist? EG your "experience" on the bus.
    Well done. Avoid my points that demonstrate the pay gap in Ireland is not nearly so clear cut as the feminists would claim. The education gap goes the other direction, as does the health gap. The social support gap goes massively the other way.
    You do this very well. You bleat on about injustice against women, then ask for "debate" on how to fix this and never respond to any questions or points raised, save for the rare post that agrees with some little bit of the delusion you're peddling.

Do I think you a troll? Actually no. I've known a few folks like you. At least in the sense of clutching to a worldview - usually built up in childhood, often negatively - like a drowning man clutching to a straw. So yep I reckon you believe all this, and focus and allign your worldview prism to refracting reality into the truth you believe. And no doubt you find enough on the interwebs to agree with that worldview. And even resistance, especially resistance reinforces your position. Sure sign of a bias.

You say that "Men" have a particular worldview towards "Women" and we need to change that. Social and especially personal worldviews are very hard to shift. We all think we know The Truth(tm), and lord knows we'd much rather be proven right than content in the face of being proven wrong. The first step is to consider we're wrong and seek out questions that don't agree with your Truth(tm). I respectfully suggest you try that. It can work wonders.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Believe me , you are certainly not left out. Not just me.

I can think of the three last incidents that I saw/heard

I was on a bus last week, really busy just before Christmas. It was dark on the bus, a woman got on , she asked a man, "is there a seat beside you" he couldn't understand English,

A man shouted from the back of the bus. "Youre a good looking girl, you're talking to the wrong man, you can sit here on my lap, I'd like to hold you, you're a great looking girl"

She looked upset at what he said and said

"The old days are gone, I have a boyfriend of seven years". She was upset.

I was in another group, and a man said to another man - about a woman in the group, "make sure you stick your hand up her skirt!"

I was talking to a friend last month, and she said her boss came down to her and talked about being naked in the shower, and about his body. She said to me "I wanted to say to him - do you know how inappropriate that is"

Unfortunately you're too late to be considered for the 2019 awards

Take a look at Didn’t Happen of the Year Awards (@_DHOTYA): https://twitter.com/_DHOTYA?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's not an accurate definiton of troll but the fact that you had to google a pretty common internet term tells me that you may not be as intelligent as you think you are.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

I am done trying to engage with her, exhausting!
    I think 99% of the thread see sense regarding the issue but i think the problem is very few want to speak about it in the media.
    So people like sarahdunne continue to get misinformed and companies want to virtue signal that they are doing something about ‘the problem’.

Wibbs wrote: »

And yet you appear to feel men, particularly Irish men are of a hive mind and outrageously, nay fantastically sexist? EG your "experience" on the bus.

You do this very well. You bleat on about injustice against women, then ask for "debate" on how to fix this and never respond to any questions or points raised, save for the rare post that agrees with some little bit of the delusion you're peddling.

Do I think you a troll? Actually no. I've known a few folks like you. At least in the sense of clutching to a worldview - usually built up in childhood, often negatively - like a drowning man clutching to a straw. So yep I reckon you believe all this, and focus and allign your worldview prism to refracting reality into the truth you believe. And no doubt you find enough on the interwebs to agree with that worldview. And even resistance, especially resistance reinforces your position. Sure sign of a bias.

You say that "Men" have a particular worldview towards "Women" and we need to change that. Social and especially personal worldviews are very hard to shift. We all think we know The Truth(tm), and lord knows we'd much rather be proven right than content in the face of being proven wrong. The first step is to consider we're wrong and seek out questions that don't agree with your Truth(tm). I respectfully suggest you try that. It can work wonders.

Isn't it kind of absolutely insane, to call some one with an opposing view to you, "a troll".

That is a very extreme form of insanity and arrogance. Really - you are sounding totally deluded.

carq wrote: »
    I think 99% of the thread see sense regarding the issue but i think the problem is very few want to speak about it in the media.
    So people like sarahdunne continue to get misinformed and companies want to virtue signal that they are doing something about ‘the problem’.

I'm laughing - that you think that I care in any way - that you engage with me. I don't even remember you on this thread.

Jesus - the inflated egos and arrogance on here. It's very interesting!

That's not an accurate definiton of troll but the fact that you had to google a pretty common internet term tells me that you may not be as intelligent as you think you are.

Nobody in any intelligent debate ever - uses the word troll.

On the description that I looked up it said that it is 'slang'. Try to think more intelligently

Wibbs wrote: »

I'm still laughing at the term 'Troll'. How old are you Wibbs?

carq wrote: »

it is pritty sad that we cannpt speak ot against this sort of thing in the media. if you stood up and shown how this is rubbish you would be called all sorts and could even loose your job

• Advertisement

Unfortunately you're too late to be considered for the 2019 awards

Take a look at Didn’t Happen of the Year Awards (@_DHOTYA): https://twitter.com/_DHOTYA?s=09

Again - extreme and total arrogance.

As I said - the majority of you guys on here, have fitted nicely into exactly what we are talking about.

You are not able to talk to women without calling them:
    Crazy,
    Stupid,

And if they say anything - you simply say that it didn't happen. Because you know - you can just DISMISS what a woman says, because she is a woman and you are a man.

I really like - that many of you have proved my point so absolutely, perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭alias no.9

As I said - the majority of you guys on here, have fitted nicely into exactly what we are talking about.

Crazy,
    Stupid,

And if they say anything - you simply say that it didn't happen. Because you know - you can just DISMISS what a woman says, because she is a woman and you are a man.

Where was the bus going?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

On the description that I looked up it said that it is 'slang'. Try to think more intelligently

Incorrect on both counts.
    1 - it can happen if a troll enters the debate (and, to be clear, I do NOT believe you are a troll)

2 - the inferral of "slang" makes no difference. The definition you found us incorrect. As is your use of the word "slang".

Thinking more intelligently, you would have noticed this.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yes and they are tame, compared to really bad things that I have seen/heard about.

So, you are reduced to calling women stupid, crazy, and now, liars - to feel important about yourself?

Typical misrepresentation. No one is calling 'women' stupid, crazy or liars. All those posts are directed at you, specifically. Not because of your gender but because of what you have posted.

Same with the pay gap nonsense. The difference is not because of gender, it is because of choices on how people work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Isn't it kind of absolutely insane, to call some one with an opposing view to you, "a troll".

That is a very extreme form of insanity and arrogance. Really - you are sounding totally deluded.
    Can. You. Read? I specifically stated: "Do I think you a troll? Actually no".
    You bleat on about injustice against women, then ask for "debate" on how to fix this and never respond to any questions or points raised, save for the rare post that agrees with some little bit of the delusion you're peddling.

You appear to read what you want to read, or can't understand what is being actually written. The evidence for this is writ large throughout this thread. And yet you call others deluded? It's like you're having a conversation with yourself and anybody else who responds are like unwanted voices in your head.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The lack of self awareness is staggering, with a side dish of solipsism.

Crazy,
    Stupid,

Well of course. You're only out to reinforce a deeply engrained personal worldview, no matter what anybody says.

BTW there are women posting on this thread. Not just you. People aren't dismissing what women say, if they're dismissing you it's because of what you write and how you refuse to engage in anything approaching normal conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Still no evidence that on a like for like basis, men are paid more than women.
    The only direct comparisons can be made in public sector jobs which are on incremental scales which as far as I can see, pay the same for men and women.
    Any companies I've ever worked for, everyone had a unique job with unique tasks and responsibilities and everyone paid what they were worth to the company. 2 of the women in my place now are in the upper echelon of the salaries but the majority aren't, because they are simply not as productive, motivated to get promoted or willing to really go the extra mile.

Some of the men in same boat too so I wonder what discrimination they can claim...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

LOL.

For someone that proclaims themself to be "intelligent", your arguments, critical thinking, debate style, self awareness, closed mindedness, ignorance of the difference between gender "pay gap" and "earning gap" and consistent "man hating" are quite frankly astounding.

You have done nothing for your crusade here except wind rational people up.

Men=Bad durr durr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Reminder that based on OP, this thread should have not been about gender pay gap ...
    Same with the pay gap nonsense. The difference is not because of gender, it is because of choices on how people work.
    Since some of the posters here seem to care about it, would want to add this pay or income gap is not always about career choices, contrary, it can be about the lack of choice for female staff; might depend on where in the professional timeline a female is (e.g. early twenties or forties); even how much the female's spouse is earning would contributes to this equation.
    From a 2014 article on gender convergence (while I'd imagine not all applies to IRL as US are ranked much lower on gender gap), what can be done to improve:

<<The solution does not (necessarily) have to involve government intervention and it need not make men more responsible in the home (although that wouldn’t hurt). But it must involve changes in the labor market, especially how jobs are structured and remunerated to enhance temporal flexibility. The gender gap in pay would be considerably reduced and might vanish altogether if firms did not have an incentive to disproportionately reward individuals who labored long hours and worked particular hours.>>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

mvl wrote: »
    The gender gap in pay would be considerably reduced and might vanish altogether if firms did not have an incentive to disproportionately reward individuals who labored long hours and worked particular hours.>>

I have read that sentence several times and on none of the readings has it made any sense to me.

If someone works long hours and at awkward times why the heck should they not be rewarded, even disproprotionately, be they man or woman? Anything else is a form of ...communism, surely? Maybe someone can explain to me.

Advertisement