Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what did Ireland do to improve on gender gap recent year ?

Options

Comments

I think that if a black person came on here and said: that he thinks there is a race pay gap

I wouldn't be so arrogant, absusive, and dismissive to say to him

"The race pay gap is a myth! Haw haw haw"

I would talk to him like a human being, and listen to his concerns about where he feels discriminated against.

Isn't that the - you know - mature thing to do?

If you make an assertion it's up to you to defend it and back it up with facts. People can express whatever opinion they want. By the way I suspect black people in Ireland earn more than average since many of them are doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

And who said that I am failing? I am not. I am doing very well for myself. Though I am currently not living in Ireland. Just back visiting at the moment.

My fight is not just for me - it is from witnessing other women being abused, and from talking to hundreds of other women about their experiences.

That I am personally doing well for myself - does not mean that I don't see the blatant discrimination against women in Government here in Ireland. I have talked to women in Government, and the stories that they have told me have no place in a developed country. A woman, with two masters degrees, told me that she was told to sit on a man's lap, to go back to the kitchen, and that the man are often stuck in the Dail bar.

Abused? Come off it

None of what you have ever posted points to any pay gap at all..... Still waiting for an example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

None of what you have ever posted points to any pay gap at all..... Still waiting for an example

It's apparently egotistical and mysoginistic to expect a woman to respond to points or to prove her assertions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

supposing the pay gap is real and women with the same experience and qualifications are being paid less for the same hours worked contrary to the law of the land, which other gender based inequities should we seek to equalise?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

supposing the pay gap is real and women with the same experience and qualifications are being paid less for the same hours worked contrary to the law of the land, which other gender based inequities should we seek to equalise?

The personal responsibility gap, between the same gap that blamed jerry ryan for his own overdose but started a manhunt for katie french’s dealer for ‘causing her death’

The gap that appears time and time again where theres always an external (usually male) factor that the media and solicitors trot out as to why a woman ended up dead or infront of a judge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I also think it is interesting that some people on here have said - that they don't believe that men have been nasty to me and other women in real life.

I've challenged you. I challenged you on one set of anecdotes that you introduced as some kind of evidence to back up your point of view.

To be honest, the dialogue you attributed to other people is simply so badly written that it led me to think that none of it really happened, so I challenged it.

Getting back to the one simple question of a very trivial piece of information that any witness to a heinous hate crime would recount in an instant... Where was the bus going?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭bunderoon

This thread should stop now I think. Theres only so long a sane person can go on a merry-go-round.

I really wish Sarah the best and I hope she steps back and realises that she is mentally living in some toxic feminist echo chamber. I do so because this attitude towards men will no doubt be pushed down to young boys who are still trying to find their feet in the world. And that's where the real damage will be done.

To Sarah, this vid basically sums up your contribution to this thread. I am not joking. It is a terrible shame that you can not and will not engage with anyone who doesnt reside in your echo chamber.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tf20wypum5o&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Where was the bus going?
    Now stop asking serious questions! you misogynist!

This is Ireland and not Finland (where the unicorns play and all things are equal) unless you take what I say as gospel and don’t pose difficult questions I will agree with everything you say, but call me a troll or don’t recognise that my vagina gives me more power than you, you are oppressing me and discriminating against me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Klaz - again utter and extreme arrogance.

Are you serious?

Why SHOULD I reply to your points? Why should anyone? Because you wrote some points, that automatically means that some - one has to reply to them?

Where did you get that weird, arrogant, warped logic?

I don't think that I've ever written somthing - and then demanded that someone reply to me. If they want to great - if they don't want to - I wouldn't even notice, I would talk to some-one else.

Seriously where did you get that absolute level of arrogance?

Show me - where it says in the charter "you must reply to every post that is directed at you".

No , you can't show me it, because it is not there, and it is an arrogant level of bull****.

I don't even remember your post. Like a normal person, I log on here every so often and see what the latest posts are. Jesus. Wind down the ego in your posts.
    You haven't replied to any of the points and questions raised as far as the "pay gap" or this mass misogyny you seem to encounter on a daily basis.

I hate to break it to you, again. Stating something, especially something so extreme and then ignoring any questions or points raised and then responding with accusations of being attacked and calling others arrogant, is not how basic normal human conversations and debates work. You appear not to understand this. :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wibbs wrote: »
    You haven't replied to any of the points and questions raised as far as the "pay gap" or this mass misogyny you seem to encounter on a daily basis.

I hate to break it to you, again. Stating something, especially something so extreme and then ignoring any questions or points raised and then responding with accusations of being attacked and calling others arrogant, is not how basic normal human conversations and debates work. You appear not to understand this. :confused:

Unfortunately, that seems to be slowly but surely becoming the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarahdunners

To use an example - of where some one else has spoken to me about experiencing discrimination.

I have had people talk to me about racism that they have experienced, and I have never once said to them:

"It didn't happen"
    "Stop blaming others for your own failures".
    "Stop whinging on about that racist crap"

Because I am not a nasty, abusive asshole.

The opinions on here: are absolutely and utterly disgusting. You are shaming this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

To use an example - of where some one else has spoken to me about experiencing discrimination.

I have had people talk to me about racism that they have experienced, and I have never once said to them:

"It didn't happen"

The opinions on here: are absolutely and utterly disgusting. You are shaming this country.

Men say certain things to women, sometimes derogatory, because they are women, you are correct.

Women say certain things to men, sometimes derogatory, because they are men.

Calling us disgusting and hating men and labelling us abusers is going to get you a backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

And the Award for this years Best Victim and Gender Studies Graduate goes to:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

"It didn't happen"

It is not abusive to disagree with someone. You havent posted anything of substance or engaged in an actual discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Lads, she's on the wind up. Absolutely 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

The gender pay myth is a complete media fabrication. Men and women make different life decisions which occasionally results in women earning less, but NOT for doing the same job, except for when women actively choose to earn less.

For example I worked for an organisation last year which employs several thousand people and they also offer a shorter working year. Just under 500 employees availed of this benefit, 64% of which were women and 36% men, so yes some women earned less during 2019 for doing the same job as their male colleagues......because they chose to!

You will never hear the likes of this reported on RTE or Newstalk though, doesn't fit their far left propoganda.

Also you very rarely hear reports on gender discrimination in Irish family courts (discrimination against men is fine you see), but you will hear extensive reports on rape cases and how we need more men convicted.

Bottom line is, if you could pay women less than men for doing the same job, then simply fire all the men and save yourself a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Phoebas wrote: »
    It was, but unfair pay and conditions effect people all their working lives (and into their retirement). There are, of course, more recent cases (example
    "The Representative of the Receiver at the Hearing was not in a position to offer any detailed knowledge of the operation of the Pub or indeed any matters prior to the Receivership in 2014."
    So the Receiver didn't know anything about the running of the pub during the time in question, and apart from payslips, didn't know what the Complainants duties were.
    Same as above :pac:
    Looks like more to do with race, but gender thrown in as the person kept on was male.

When I worked in a pub, the lads were given a lot more labour jobs (moving kegs, restocking, etc), than the women. I'd wonder if the male was kept on as they could have him do all such jobs, as well as the job the Complainant did?
    Gynoid wrote: »
    They are just happy, smart, good, ambitious people who work bloody hard.
    So those who work hard don't feel discriminated against?
    Though I am currently not living in Ireland. Just back visiting at the moment.
    Are you "just visiting" Boards.ie as well?
    To use an example
    But no examples of the pay gap, which is the topic at hand?
    This may have been posted before, but I think it’s wirth seeing again. The For every 100 girls/women chart, updated for December 2019. It’s aimed at a US audience, but I think it’s as relevant to us here as well IMO.
    Interesting stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The gender pay myth is a complete media fabrication. Men and women make different life decisions which occasionally results in women earning less, but NOT for doing the same job, except for when women actively choose to earn less.

For example I worked for an organisation last year which employs several thousand people and they also offer a shorter working year. Just under 500 employees availed of this benefit, 64% of which were women and 36% men, so yes some women earned less during 2019 for doing the same job as their male colleagues......because they chose to!

You will never hear the likes of this reported on RTE or Newstalk though, doesn't fit their far left propoganda.

Also you very rarely hear reports on gender discrimination in Irish family courts (discrimination against men is fine you see), but you will hear extensive reports on rape cases and how we need more men convictions.

Bottom line is, if you could pay women less than men for doing the same job, then simply fire all the men and save yourself a fortune.

The Gender Pay Gap is a complete misrepresentation of stats....it what is now being used to discriminate against men in the workplace.

The Domestic Violence Industry are also misrepresenting stats, prepare to hear more about the Domestic Violence Epidemic affecting women in the new year. What you won't hear about is how Lesbian Relationships are most affected by abuse...gay relationships record almost half the rates of domestic abuse...Domestic Abuse has no gender.

https://ncadv.org/blog/posts/domestic-violence-and-the-lgbtq-community

The "Rape Culture" is a grotesque exaggeration of what is a traumatic event for actual victims of rape...the culture can only be rationally discussed along with a false accusation culture....as difficult as that is for a society to deal with as they are both extremely upsetting for people.

If you identify as a Feminist in this day and age, you are

Deliberately supporting the misrepresentation of Wage Earnings between genders and advocating for the discrimination of men in the workplace.

Deliberately supporting a Domestic Violence Industry that purposely ignores Male and Lesbian Victims of Domestic Abuse.

Deliberately supporting a toxic movements attempt to keep eroding due process in the Judicial System when it comes to rape/sexual assault.

Equality my b###ocks!!!

You can't permit a liberal society where we all enjoy freedom of choice in work/sex etc and then ignore or completely misrepresent all the consequences....

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭bunderoon

"It didn't happen"

Wrong again Sarah.
    1 - where/when/how did it happen. No answer..
    2 - You misunderstood and are now conflating.
    3- where was this said to you in the context of this thread/topic? You need to be specific or what you wrote is nonsense.

The only so called pay gaps are for the warm cushy top floor executive jobs, there is no person in any job that i know or heard of in Ireland

doing the same type of work getting paid less unless you are working less hours or part time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Again, we disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 33,492 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"It didn't happen"

I actually said "your failures are your own fault"and it was based on the lack of understanding and comprehension of posts you replied to and your inability to think criticially (or at least express such an ability). You have't learnt, you haven't acknowledged, you haven't engaged - who's fault IS this?
    Can you tell me what's "nasty" or "abusive" about it? Or are you just going to ignore this too because you don't agree with it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

The Gender Pay Gap is a complete misrepresentation of stats....it what is now being used to discriminate against men in the workplace.

The Domestic Violence Industry are also misrepresenting stats, prepare to hear more about the Domestic Violence Epidemic affecting women in the new year. What you won't hear about is how Lesbian Relationships are most affected by abuse...gay relationships record almost half the rates of domestic abuse...Domestic Abuse has no gender.

https://ncadv.org/blog/posts/domestic-violence-and-the-lgbtq-community

The "Rape Culture" is a grotesque exaggeration of what is a traumatic event for actual victims of rape...the culture can only be rationally discussed along with a false accusation culture....as difficult as that is for a society to deal with as they are both extremely upsetting for people.

If you identify as a Feminist in this day and age, you are

Deliberately supporting the misrepresentation of Wage Earnings between genders and advocating for the discrimination of men in the workplace.

Deliberately supporting a Domestic Violence Industry that purposely ignores Male and Lesbian Victims of Domestic Abuse.

Deliberately supporting a toxic movements attempt to keep eroding due process in the Judicial System when it comes to rape/sexual assault.

Equality my b###ocks!!!

You can't permit a liberal society where we all enjoy freedom of choice in work/sex etc and then ignore or completely misrepresent all the consequences....

Completely agree, the media very perniciously choses what they report and importantly how it's reported.

The gender pay myth propoganda is nothing more than the selective and deliberately unscrutinized reporting of what men and women earn. Simply take the figures and throw them out there and try to convince people there's a sexist scandal taking place, context and analysis of the figures is not only ignored but very much unwelcome.

In fact you may even be castigated and marginalized for questioning it in public, how is that for a 'liberal society', bit more like North Korea or Nazi Germany.

Anyway it would be like men complaining that there's a disproportionately high number men in jail and that we need to even the 'gender jail gap', without any consideration as to who actually committed the crimes, because again, analysis is unwelcome and sexist.

The media has zero interest in 'gender equality', if they did then they would report from family courts where men are sitting ducks, workplace fatalities where men are drastically over represented, homeless services where single men are bottom priority for emergency beds (I know this from work), the ever increasing employment bias towards women (I see this in work all the time), domestic violence against men (may not be as prevelant as the other way around but it happens a lot more than we think, also it's still basically socially acceptable for a woman to hit a man, the other way around however is completely unacceptable and has been for a long time).

Feminism is cancer, people should unite against it, because they do not have anybodys interest at heart but their own. Both men and women will suffer in the long run if they get their way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Annnnnnd again, no engagement, just more of the same one trick pony repeated ad nauseum.

"The opinions on here" are varied and many are measured and with examples and statistics, but yet you ignore them all? Indeed if you consider them "absolutely and utterly disgusting" and see those who hold such opinions, or it seems even ask questions as "nasty, abusive assholes", it can be easily suggested that such a consistent and repetitive worldview and way of (not)communicating is hardly a mentally healthy way to navigate the world. No doubt you'll see this as yet another "attack" as this seems to be your MO when the world doesn't agree with your internal dialogue.

NB, you are the only person here that has run to victimhood, you are the only person here claiming attack and you are the only person here who has gone to the level of insulting like calling people "nasty abusive assholes". And still you're oblivious to this? The last time I saw anything this nutty was squirrel poo.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

women are responsible for 80% of all consumer spending, advertising is 35% more effective on women than men and women carry the vast majority of credit card debt. In an age where weve never had so many ad supported products and online marketplaces that need to advertise to draw in users, it makes sense that the media and online services pander to women and perpetuate a myth that any solution will lead to women having a greater share of disposable income. This myth is the best thing that amazon, visa and clothing designers could ever hope for.

Fanny **** wrote: »
    I hope so F, though I honestly don't think so. I've known a few similar types of different politics and philosophies down the years. Warped worldview that gives them comfort of sorts, usually the comfort of being right and the comfort of victimhood. In most cases the wheel was spinning but the hamster was dead...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Wibbs wrote: »
    I hope so F, though I honestly don't think so. I've known a few similar types of different politics and philosophies down the years. Warped worldview that gives them comfort of sorts, usually the comfort of being right and the comfort of victimhood. In most cases the wheel was spinning but the hamster was dead...

I could be wrong but I simply refuse to believe someone that stupid could live to adulthood without one day thinking it was a good idea to lick one's finger & stick it in a plug socket

Hence I'm thinking wind up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Definitely. It's just good to see plenty of people prepared and able to tackle this type of bull**** on here though, because the lack of people doing that in USA is the reason that bull**** still gets pushed around in the media. It has to be challenged

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I could be wrong but I simply refuse to believe someone that stupid could live to adulthood without one day thinking it was a good idea to lick one's finger & stick it in a plug socket

Hence I'm thinking wind up

sadly i have a cousin that believes this nonscience. she regularly spouts it as fact and gets very offended when told its only a myth and that the fact dont show it.

sadly i dont believe this to be trolling. i believe she genuinely is this deluded or brainwashed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Completely agree, the media very perniciously choses what they report and importantly how it's reported.

The gender pay myth propoganda is nothing more than the selective and deliberately unscrutinized reporting of what men and women earn. Simply take the figures and throw them out there and try to convince people there's a sexist scandal taking place, context and analysis of the figures is not only ignored but very much unwelcome.

In fact you may even be castigated and marginalized for questioning it in public, how is that for a 'liberal society', bit more like North Korea or Nazi Germany.

Anyway it would be like men complaining that there's a disproportionately high number men in jail and that we need to even the 'gender jail gap', without any consideration as to who actually committed the crimes, because again, analysis is unwelcome and sexist.

The media has zero interest in 'gender equality', if they did then they would report from family courts where men are sitting ducks, workplace fatalities where men are drastically over represented, homeless services where single men are bottom priority for emergency beds (I know this from work), the ever increasing employment bias towards women (I see this in work all the time), domestic violence against men (may not be as prevelant as the other way around but it happens a lot more than we think, also it's still basically socially acceptable for a woman to hit a man, the other way around however is completely unacceptable and has been for a long time).

Feminism is cancer, people should unite against it, because they do not have anybodys interest at heart but their own. Both men and women will suffer in the long run if they get their way.

the stats show that it men are twice as likely to be victims of domestic violance than woman.

Advertisement