Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what did Ireland do to improve on gender gap recent year ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarahdunners

Yurt you said the pay gap has been debunked by Economists.

I just posted a study by the Org. For Economic Co-operation and development, which said that a gender pay gap DOES exist in Ireland.

So you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Here is an irish study, in 2019.

"Female graduates earn 28% less than male graduates"

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/education/gender-pay-gap-females-with-a-degree-earn-significantly-less-than-male-peers-report-reveals-38484873.html.

This study was carried out by the organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development.

How many studies do you want, before you stop calling it a myth?

Can you give me an exact figure, of the amount of studies that you want?

just one. but it would have to be truthfull and honest and unbiased

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/education/gender-pay-gap-females-with-a-degree-earn-significantly-less-than-male-peers-report-reveals-38484873.html.

This study was carried out by the organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development.

That's not a pay gap, that's an earnings gap reflected in females shooting for careers that typically earn less in the market, based largely on what they majored in college.

I understand why an engineering graduate (typically male dominated) earns more than a literature graduate (typically female dominated). Do you?

if that is true then you should be well qualified to see that all these studies are highly biased and not based on facts. taking an average across a company will always show an earnings gap .

all it would take for me to say there is a pay gap is one piece of evidence to support it i have yet to see it.

you need to be comparing 2 people doing the same job witht he same qualifications, experience, asking for the same salery but getting offered less because of their gender

What is your thought on the study that I posted above

https://www.google.ie/...eveals-38484873.html.

This study was carried out by the organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Yurt you said the pay gap has been debunked by Economists.

I just posted a study by the Org. For Economic Co-operation and development, which said that a gender pay gap DOES exist in Ireland.

So you are wrong.

This isn't difficult to spot....

Men work longer hours. Men therefore earn more.

Men are more likely to do overtime. Men therefore earn more.

Men work in physical, tough environements. Men therefore earn more.

You are an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yurt! wrote: »
    I find flimsy political gender gap 'divide by two' reporting condescending. The pay gap movement has been debunked time and time again by economists.

If you want to play politics, get used to criticism, and to say men (and it's not all men making the counter arguement) are abusive for disagreeing with your political playbook, is quite manipulative.

You got any links to studies debunking it by reputable economists? You surely know a few.

That's not a pay gap, that's an earnings gap reflected in females shooting for careers that typically earn less in the market, based largely on what they majored in college.

I understand why an engineering graduate (typically male dominated) earns more than a literature graduate (typically female dominated). Do you?

Isn't it interesting how you dismiss every study that is shown to you.

Why do you think that you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Isn't it interesting how you dismiss every study that is shown to you.

Why do you think that you do that?

I'm not dismissing it, I'm sure that the stats are accurate. It doesn't tell you why females earn less at that stage of their careers - that's what's interesting and you wouldn't like the answer even if it was presented to you.

You are an idiot.

And you are reported.

And you are reported.

Stunning and brave!!!

• Advertisement

You are an idiot.

So there’s no female gardai or prison officers then? What world are you living in? No need for insults either.

What is your thought on the study that I posted above

https://www.google.ie/...eveals-38484873.html.

This study was carried out by the organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development."

it says it in the first sentance. that women EARN less . that is probably true. probably guaranteed in most industries.
    but an earnings gap is not the same as a pay gap.
    the reasons for an earning gap are obvious and well documented and not in anyway in question.
    a pay gap has been proven to be rubbish .

I'm not dismissing it, I'm sure that the stats are accurate. It doesn't tell you why females earn less at that stage of their careers - that's what's interesting and you wouldn't like the answer even if it was presented to you.

I have posted reports here by Economists who said that a gender pay gap does exist in Ireland.

Do you have a report by Economists that have "debunked" the gender pay gap? You said there are some.

MadYaker wrote: »
    So there’s no female gardai or prison officers then? What world are you living in? No need for insults either.

Who said there wasn't!!!

If they work the same hours as everyone else, they get paid the same as everyone else.

If I claimed that accountants in my home town were getting paid less than accountants in Dublin as the Dubs were oppressing the rest of us...how long would I be tolerated?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Sarah, did you read any of the link you provided??
    You di realise that some degrees in certain areas pay more that other degrees, don't you?
    For example, a degree in Arts and,say, a H-dip to become a secondary school teacher (majority female occupation) will yield a certain salary. A degree in computer science/engineering/technology(S.T.E.M fields) etc pay much more and happen to be male orientated.
    Theres no blocking point for a female to enter a S.T.E.M field and go and earn more. Most women don't as they are more interested in people and better hours (Health/Child Care/ Education based roles). Men are more interested in things, hence S.T.E.M fields and will work their asses off to succeed as they value status (crazy but true) more that women. Women have more cop on!!!

Please look at what you post and understand that there are obvious underlining reasons for the 'gap's you talk about.
    That's the majority of your pay difference when looking at averages.

Who said there wasn't!!!

If they work the same hours as everyone else, they get paid the same as everyone else.

Your post implied it by saying men work dangerous or difficult jobs and as result get paid more, thus implying that women don’t work those jobs.

We’re comparing apples and oranges anyway since it’s obvious that you and most of the other people posting in this thread don’t actually know know what the gender pay gap is. I’ll give you a hint, it’s not about women getting paid less than men.

Also, that Irish indo article is useless and I can’t find the OECD study it’s talking about.

Edit: found it https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/167113/1/ifo-dice-report-v11-y2013-i1-p69-71.pdf

Your post implied it by saying men work dangerous or difficult jobs and as result get paid more, thus implying that women don’t work those jobs.

We’re comparing apples and oranges anyway since it’s obvious that you and most of the other people posting in this thread don’t actually know know what the gender pay gap is. I’ll give you a hint, it’s not about women getting aid less than men.

My post implied that there is a huge difference between what jobs men and women choose....any moron can spot it...it is a grotesque manipulation of stats by a Feminism industry that has been tolerated for way too long.

If there is an earnings gap, and I believe there is, then there is also a Tax Gap...why are men expected to pay more tax than women?...see how easy it is to manipulate figures...

We’re comparing apples and oranges anyway since it’s obvious that you and most of the other people posting in this thread don’t actually know know what the gender pay gap is. I’ll give you a hint, it’s not about women getting paid less than men.

what is it about then. surely the 'pay'gap is about rate of pay

what is it about then. surely the 'pay'gap is about rate of pay

Here have a read, it’s actually interesting

https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/167113/1/ifo-dice-report-v11-y2013-i1-p69-71.pdf

• Advertisement

What is interesting about it...women choose different jobs...lower paid jobs...hence the gap in earnings.

the first paragraph says that its based of gross earning of men versus women . so its already showing that its an earning gap not a pay gap.

im not seeing your pont about why its not about pay

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

What's interesting is the lack of evidence and data...
    For example, the only part of that document that looked like it was going to give either of the above was a reference to Denmark and what they didn't to try and narrow the 'gap'. And what happened -- the difference in average earnings from 2006 to 2010 changed by ONLY ~3%. And no data to explain that 3 percent change..

There’s plenty more info on the OECD website but as I read more it appears I may have got it wrong! The OECD seems to say that 30% of this gap is explained by outright rage discrimination and the other 70% is societal norms and tradition funnelling women into careers that tend to pay less. So it seems the solution is not pay women more but get them to choose different degree programs and careers like and engineering and IT etc instead of teaching nursing etc.

There’s plenty more info on the OECD website but as I read more it appears I may have got it wrong! The OECD seems to say that 30% of this gap is explained by outright rage discrimination and the other 70% is societal norms and tradition funnelling women into careers that tend to pay less. So it seems the solution is not pay women more but get them to choose different degree programs and careers like and engineering and IT etc instead of teaching nursing etc.

It also involves in discriminating against men in the workplace which is now happening across the private and public sectors...which in time will create toxic work environments which will affect performance.

The old Soviet States had a much more equal work environment, when woman are free to choose what they want to do in life like they do here in The West you end up with an earnings gap....

It also involves in discriminating against men in the workplace which is now happening across the private and public sectors...which in time will create toxic work environments which will affect performance.

The old Soviet States had a much more equal work environment, when woman are free to choose what they want to do in life like they do here in The West you end up with an earnings gap....

Nah thats all rubbish. There's nothing more pathetic than a man who plays the victim like this. Grow a pair you're making the rest of us look bad. The old soviet states also had famines where tens of millions died and secret police who abducted and mureder people at will. It wouldn't be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

This has been entertaining reading!
    That poster has to be on the wind up surely?
    Blinded by their own sense of being right and ignoring logic!

Gender is just one of a multitude of variables that determine what a person EARNS, and gender isnt a determining factor more of a byproduct. You could interpret the same data and say that capricorns earn less than pieces - star sign gap!
    The gender pay gap brigade ignore all other variables conveniently.

Type of job
    Location of job
    Hours worked
    Performance on job
    Negotiation ability of yearly salary
    Time in role / longevity
    threat of leaving company

Anyway isnt ‘gender’ a thing of the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Can you please link to the actual study and point out where the relevant part of it is, that article you linked doesn't seem to have the link to the study and it doesn't go into more detail about how they got that figure. A 28% gap is basically so significant that it instantly raises alarm bells about the possibility that it's simply comparing male and female graduates overall salaries, and not accounting for which industries they went into. A higher percentage of males opt for STEM degrees which are always going to result in higher graduate salaries, and this would be more likely to result in such a significant gap. Only comparing, for example, male medicine graduates who work for 'X' hospital or clinic with female medicine graduates who work for 'X' hospital or clinic makes any kind of sense

I would be pretty satisfied and willing to acknowledge there's a gender wage gap, in this scenario for graduates, after seeing a study where they compare a male and female who both:

- Complete their Leaving Certificates with the same/very close points

- Complete the same degrees with the same graduation grades from the same university

- Have the same/similar work experience/internships during their university years

- Get hired at the same company upon graduation

- Neither of them negotiate their starting salaries

If it was found that the male in this scenario was paid higher then absolutely I'd say it's completely unfair discrimination on the female and that company should get in serious ****

Arrival wrote: »
    Can you please link to the actual study and point out where the relevant part of it is, that article you linked doesn't seem to have the link to the study and it doesn't go into more detail about how they got that figure. A 28% gap is basically so significant that it instantly raises alarm bells about the possibility that it's simply comparing male and female graduates overall salaries, and not accounting for which industries they went into. A higher percentage of males opt for STEM degrees which are always going to result in higher graduate salaries, and this would be more likely to result in such a significant gap. Only comparing, for example, male medicine graduates who work for 'X' hospital or clinic with female medicine graduates who work for 'X' hospital or clinic makes any kind of sense

https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/167113/1/ifo-dice-report-v11-y2013-i1-p69-71.pdf

Not sure if its the right study but its related

• Advertisement

Not sure if its the right study but its related

can you elaborate on why its interesting or even relivent

Advertisement