Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what did Ireland do to improve on gender gap recent year ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarahdunners

Address the elephant in the room and stop crying foul all the time, if you want something go get it and stop whining. There's even some boards now that are insisting on certain number of women on them and imposing quotas either because women don't want to be on them or aren't the best candidates but want to be seen to be inclusive. Tokenism.

"Go get it and stop whining' - what a stupid quote. Your posts really are not that intelligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

"Go get it and stop whining' - what a stupid quote. Your posts really are not that intelligent.

Sorry, I should have said stay where you are and wait for someone to bring it to you. Shouldn't be long now.

As for intelligent posting, was it you that called men abusers earlier on?

Men are sick of hearing this rubbish

Are you deliberately ignoring what is staring you in the face.

No one is disagreeing with you that women earn less.

The reason women earn less is what we are disagreeing on...

We have 80% male representation because not enough women want to get elected, I'm willing to bet that 80% of people who fail to get elected are male also.

Are you aware, that despite the anti democratic quota of 30% political parties are still struggling to convince women to run for election?

What else do you wish to blame men for...

Can you not see how infantile all this is...people make different choices...feminists aren't happy with the choices women make...and here we all are!

Women earn less than men in Ireland - you are saying that is the women's fault.

Women are vastly under represented in Government in Ireland - you are saying that is the women's fault.

That doesn't really make any sense whatsoever does it?

In every single case ever, of people keeping other people down in history - it is the oppressor's fault, not the victim's fault.

When England took over Ireland, eradicated their language, killed many and took their land , would you have said "well it was the Irish people's fault for being too weak, the English were just infinitely BETTER at what they did, the Irish should have stopped whining"

Whites are the oppressors of all other races.
    Men are the oppressors of women.
    Straights are the oppressors of gays.
    People of binary genders are oppressors of the mental health cases that think they are one of the countless other genders that confounded millions of years of evolution and appeared all together in a few short years at start of 21st century.
    Do you see how it gets tiresome?

Sorry, I should have said stay where you are and wait for someone to bring it to you. Shouldn't be long now.

As for intelligent posting, was it you that called men abusers earlier on?

Men are sick of hearing this rubbish

Here's Johnny, do you stand by saying "men are infinitely better at what they do in the workplace"

Do you know that is an illegal thing to say? And if you said it in a workplace - that you would be open to a discrimination suit.

It would be like me saying in the workplace, Irish are simply better than Polish at what they do, do you see how awful that sounds?

I am trying to put this in simple comparative language for you, so you can see how disgusting your attitude is.

• Advertisement

Whites are the oppressors of all other races.
    Men are the oppressors of women.
    Straights are the oppressors of gays.
    People of binary genders are oppressors of the mental health cases that think they are one of the countless other genders that confounded millions of years of evolution and appeared all together in a few short years at start of 21st century.
    Do you see how it gets tiresome?

It is not tiresome at all to me. As a society - we have to evolve.

tobsey wrote: »
    . It should be easier for women to maintain their career progression while having a family.

Why? Life is about choices. Seems like your wife is a smart woman who made her choices. Your respective careers shouldn't be a competition.

Here's Johnny, do you stand by saying "men are infinitely better at what they do in the workplace"

Do you know that is an illegal thing to say? And if you said it in a workplace - that you would be open to a discrimination suit.

I certainly hope that isn't illegal to say as its his opinion. I don't agree with it but he should have the right to it, just as I should have the right to disagree with it.

Is it illegal to say women are infinitely better than men? Because every second media article says it lately. Even Barack Obama said it last week.

It would be like me saying in the workplace, Irish are simply better than Polish at what they do, do you see how awful that sounds?

I am trying to put this in simple comparative language for you, so you can see how disgusting your attitude is.

I think your attitude is one of entitlement. Yes, I stand by it 100%, but only in the jobs I've worked and the colleagues I've had.

Illegal, will you give me a break. You're like a child telling on me. I'm sure it's not illegal! Prove it and I will bow to your knowledge of the law.

Equal pay for equal work, but the work is far from equal.

I'm not mysogonistic at all but I can't stand feminism and all you do is alienate yourselves and will continue to do so with your ramblings and made up hard luck stories.

It is not tiresome at all to me. As a society - we have to evolve.

https://youtu.be/3kf1FO1uwP0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If women cost less to employ to do the same work as men* then why would any company employ men?

*They don't. The pay gap is almost entirely feminist bollocks based on gender choices. Never mind that in Ireland women on average earn more than men before children come along(17% IIRC). The Women's Council of Ireland had that on their website couched in vague terms, but then pulled that page PDQ. Makes sense too as more women go onto third level than men. Yet... these vested interest "feminist" organisations still cling to an "education gap" too. Hell they claim a health gap with it. You couldn't make it up. Oh wait... They did.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

mvl wrote: »
    Seeing Ireland is 7th out of 10 in this top ranking countries considered to be closest to achieve gender equality, link
    - benchmarking looked at health, education, work and politics.

Other countries from Northern Europe, or NZ, seem pretty much few levels above than we are, and so would assume have a well deserved place.

But ... does anyone have any idea what did Ireland do recently to improve on gender gap ?

I.e. on same page, only 17.6 % women in companies' boards of directors => average ... like everything else around here on this subject, or no ?

Funny how women want equal pay and big paying jobs, put them doing grueling manual work and see how much equality they want then.

Wibbs wrote: »
    If women cost less to employ to do the same work as men* then why would any company employ men?

*They don't. The pay gap is almost entirely feminist bollocks based on gender choices. Never mind that in Ireland women on average earn more than men before children come along(17% IIRC). The Women's Council of Ireland had that on their website couched in vague terms, but then pulled that page PDQ. Makes sense too as more women go onto third level than men. Yet... these vested interest "feminist" organisations still cling to an "education gap" too. Hell they claim a health gap with it. You couldn't make it up. Oh wait... They did.

Can you clarify what you mean by 'feminists'.

Women are 50% of this country, so our issues are important, and vital to how the country operates as a whole.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Funny how women want equal pay and big paying jobs, put them doing grueling manual work and see how much equality they want then.

Yes it is amazing that a human being wants the same equal pay as other human beings.

Dakota Dan - the 1950's called.

A lady in her sixties told me that when she worked in a bank, her male colleague was paid twice as much as her for the same job.

She asked why, and was told, well he has to look after his family. She also had a family. That was the excuse back then. It is interesting to read what the excuses are now.

I think your attitude is one of entitlement. Yes, I stand by it 100%, but only in the jobs I've worked and the colleagues I've had.

Illegal, will you give me a break. You're like a child telling on me. I'm sure it's not illegal! Prove it and I will bow to your knowledge of the law.

Equal pay for equal work, but the work is far from equal.

I'm not mysogonistic at all but I can't stand feminism and all you do is alienate yourselves and will continue to do so with your ramblings and made up hard luck stories.

I'm like a child telling on you? That's hilarious, seeing as you speak extremely childishly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Can you clarify what you mean by 'feminists'.
    Third wave feminists. Almost entirely made up of White middle class suburbanites, with the concerns of same, often educated beyond their capacities, some of whom work in vested interest NGO, so have to keep peddling the bullsh1t. Well funding doesn't fall outa trees.

EG the National Women's council vested interest.

The latest figures from the EU Commission show that the Gender Pay Gap in Ireland is 13.9% - in other words women in Ireland are paid almost 14% less than men. The Gender Pay Gap exists even though women do better at school and university than men. In the Irish context, what is perhaps most disturbing is the high cost of motherhood. Figures from the OECD show that in Ireland the Gender Pay Gap for women with no children is -17% but this increases significantly to 14% for women with at least one child – a jump of 31 percentage points. The gender pay gap exists across the sectors.
    For the bottom 10% of earners, the Gender Pay Gap in Ireland is 4% but this rises to 24.6% for the top 10% of income earners, suggesting the continued presence of a glass ceiling and indirect discrimination.

Note how they frame women earning more than men, as a negative. Oh and they pulled that webpage very soon afterwards. Well it doesn't satisfy the eternal oppressed victimhood narrative.
    Women are 50% of this country, so our issues are important, and vital to how the country operates as a whole.
    Well done. Avoid my points that demonstrate the pay gap in Ireland is not nearly so clear cut as the feminists would claim. The education gap goes the other direction, as does the health gap. The social support gap goes massively the other way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Sarah can you tell me exactly how you see this ending up?
    What's the end game here? How does a completely equal world look? And how does it differ to today?

Someone mentioned Barack Obama above.

I just read what Barack Obama said.

He didn't say that women are better than men per se, he said that alot of the problems in the world come from men keeping women down.

Which is of course, true.

If you try to keep one gender down in every arena in life, problems are going to oocur everywhere for everybody. I don't see how men do not see this. If you keep women down - it hurts everyone, women and men. When you respect everyone it helpe everyone.

He is talking about empowering women. Fair play to him

Dakota Dan - the 1950's called.

A lady in her sixties told me that when she worked in a bank, her male colleague was paid twice as much as her for the same job.

She asked why, and was told, well he has to look after his family. She also had a family. That was the excuse back then. It is interesting to read what the excuses are now.
    A woman in her sixties... and you take the other poster to task for living in the 1950's? Sarahdunners, 2019 called.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

Child-rearing is an essential activity in society. Without it we would see social and cultural stagnation and lack the population level necessary to sustain economic growth. A significant contributor to the pay gap is years of experience lost by women to child-rearing and the related choice not to pursue promotion. Those who say women should bridge the gap by adapting to the structure of our society by working more hours instead of raising children must surely be oblivious to the consequences it would entail.

Your endorsement of that is pathetic. It's like seeing an internet geek gleefully applauding some supposed rhetorical smack-down of feminism while the rest of the world looks on with a mix of disgust and pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Women earn less than men in Ireland - you are saying that is the women's fault.

Women are vastly under represented in Government in Ireland - you are saying that is the women's fault.

That doesn't really make any sense whatsoever does it?

In every single case ever, of people keeping other people down in history - it is the oppressor's fault, not the victim's fault.

When England took over Ireland, eradicated their language, killed many and took their land , would you have said "well it was the Irish people's fault for being too weak, the English were just infinitely BETTER at what they did, the Irish should have stopped whining"

Making sense of reality can be challenging alright....

Women are responsible for the choices they make, we all are...simple as that really.

Feminists are peddling a Patriarchial Oppression Fantasy to a generation of middle class women who outspend their male counterparts by multiples, who outspend every generation of Irish people before them by multiples....despite the fact that women earn less than men.

You'd want to take a good hard look at yourself if you think women are subjected to any kind oppression...

What's the end game here? How does a completely equal world look? And how does it differ to today?

Good question.

It needs to start with each of us asking the other gender where they feel discriminated against, and how we can help each other. Then we would all flourish better.

For women I would suggest:

Governments should have bigger gender quotas for women.

More respect needs to be given to women's role in brithing the entire population. They need to be taken care of more in this area. I would suggest: free childcare for longer years like in the Scandinavian countries.

For men:

More care for men after divorces
    More support for men in seeing their children after marriage break ups.

This is the area where I know tha men are discriminated against, I would ask men where else they feel discriminated against, as you know much more than me in this area.

But what would be important in a more equal and caring world, is that both genders sit down and ask each other : what areas they need help in.

And we help each other.

He didn't say that women are better than men per se, he said that alot of the problems in the world come from men keeping women down.

If you try to keep one gender down in every arena in life, problems are going to oocur everywhere for everybody. I don't see how men do not see this. If you keep women down - it hurts everyone, women and men. When you respect everyone it helpe everyone.

But no one is holding women down...it's all in your head...Obama believes that telling women what they want to hear is an easy way of keeping their vote...it is a tad embarrassing really!

Take Greta Thunberg...a kid...went from being anonymous to being named Global Person of the Year in the space of 12 months.

If a 16 year old girl can do it...what is stopping all the other women???

If we're talking about the developing world he makes some sense, in the developed world and by pretty much every metric White women in particular are about the most protected and supported demographic on the planet.

Which gender is on average less educated, more likely to die or be injured at work, more likely to be homeless, die by their own hand, die younger, be less healthy, be addicted to drugs, be injured or killed by violence, be in prison and have far fewer social supports? I'll give you a hint, it's not women. About the only metric where women do worse is sexual assault.

Feminists are quite literally arguing up is down and then are surprised/offended that more and more men and women are calling them on their bullsh1it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is no gender pay gap, it's been illegal for a long time.

Never going to happen for some. There will always be a whinge. The movement is now based on it and needs it to sustain itself. Viewing the world through the oppressor/oppressed narrative also near guarantees it. It also tends to attract the type of person who always has some whinge or other. I'm sure you have encountered the type. If they found themselves in heaven in a state of eternal bliss, soon enough they'd be complaining that the bliss wasn't the right colour.

NIMAN wrote: »
    There is no gender pay gap, it's been illegal for a long time.

Can someone explain this to the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Sarahdunners is making me disbelieve a gender pay gap exists.

Sarahdunners is making me disbelieve a gender pay gap exists.

That's what happens. I've yet to see evidence of a job advertised where the salary differs because of the gender of the person that ends up working it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Good question.

It needs to start with each of us asking the other gender where they feel discriminated against, and how we can help each other. Then we would all flourish better.

For women I would suggest:

Governments should have bigger gender quotas for women.

More respect needs to be given to women's role in brithing the entire population. They need to be taken care of more in this area. I would suggest: free childcare for longer years like in the Scandinavian countries.

For men:

More care for men after divorces
    More support for men in seeing their children after marriage break ups.

This is the area where I know tha men are discriminated against, I would ask men where else they feel discriminated against, as you know much more than me in this area.

But what would be important in a more equal and caring world, is that both genders sit down and ask each other : what areas they need help in.

And we help each other.

Quotas are wrong. I firmly believe that.
    Personally Id give tax credits for childcare expenses.

Advertisement