Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what did Ireland do to improve on gender gap recent year ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

you claim under representation in the government.
    women have had the vote for 100 years.
    women are free to run for election . there is nothing stopping them
    women make up half the voting public so it is also women not voting for women.

quotas are a terrible way to do these things. irrelivent of gender how would you like the best person for a job brushed to the side so a lesser person for the job got it.

I'm laughing at you - thinking that boards.ie is a feasible source for research purposes.

Actually, considering how often these threads come up, a little searching and reading would do you the world of good, but then, you're not interested in being informed on the subject, which is why you ignore or talk over other peoples points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't agree with gender quotas at all in politics or anything else. People whinge about the inviduals in power but our system for choosing people to lead our country is pretty good. If more women stood for election more women would get elected. When I talk to one of the HR people in my firm they'll tell me that they just don't get female apllications for engineering and IT jobs. If women aren't applying companies can't hire them.

The OECD report I linked estimates that about 30% of this earnings gap is due to discrimination and the other 70% is due to women choosing third level programs that funnel them into careers that pay less. For example the majority of primary school teachers are women and the majority of engineers are men. The potential earnings ceiling in engineering is waaaay higher than primary teaching especially if you compare people wh've been working for 10+ years. So obviously if you compare the two there's going to be a difference in earnings. I'm only 5 years out of college and I already earn a good bit more than a primary school teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Sarahdunners definitely seems like the type who just aims to be able to play the victim, takes some kind of joy from it. Can only imagine the kind of person she'd be to argue with in real life, if you start sharing facts with her she'd start crying and calling your facts discriminatory and misogynistic

Women earn less than men in Ireland - you are saying that is the women's fault.

Women are vastly under represented in Government in Ireland - you are saying that is the women's fault.

That doesn't really make any sense whatsoever does it?

In every single case ever, of people keeping other people down in history - it is the oppressor's fault, not the victim's fault.

When England took over Ireland, eradicated their language, killed many and took their land , would you have said "well it was the Irish people's fault for being too weak, the English were just infinitely BETTER at what they did, the Irish should have stopped whining"

This is quite literally one of the most retarded posts I've ever read on the internet. The funniest part is you don't even realise how silly you're coming across, you're genuinely convinced you're in the right and making great points with this post. Starting to feel pity at this stage, must be something deeply wrong in your life

I have to ask, what have you personally done to help with the 'issue' of lack of women in, for example, politics? Have you gone to any local party events and expressed your interest in helping out with the aim of joining and progressing? This would be progress towards a solution, you'd actively be doing something to help out this great women's struggle of our time... instead of crying about supposed systemic discrimination against women (simply because women choose their own career paths)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

But no one is holding women down...it's all in your head...Obama believes that telling women what they want to hear is an easy way of keeping their vote...it is a tad embarrassing really!

Take Greta Thunberg...a kid...went from being anonymous to being named Global Person of the Year in the space of 12 months.

If a 16 year old girl can do it...what is stopping all the other women???

Except Greta Thungberg has the worlds media behind her and some very rich people funding her for their own benefit. She’s not exactly the child pauper you believe that wen from zero to hero all on her lonesome. Yet she’s still clueless about what exactly it is she’s doing.

Yes it is amazing that a human being wants the same equal pay as other human beings.

Dakota Dan - the 1950's called.

A lady in her sixties told me that when she worked in a bank, her male colleague was paid twice as much as her for the same job.

She asked why, and was told, well he has to look after his family. She also had a family. That was the excuse back then. It is interesting to read what the excuses are now.

There are no excuses for that now, because that happened back in the day and it does not happen now...

Good question.

It needs to start with each of us asking the other gender where they feel discriminated against, and how we can help each other. Then we would all flourish better.

For women I would suggest:

Governments should have bigger gender quotas for women.

More respect needs to be given to women's role in brithing the entire population. They need to be taken care of more in this area. I would suggest: free childcare for longer years like in the Scandinavian countries.

For men:

More care for men after divorces
    More support for men in seeing their children after marriage break ups.

This is the area where I know tha men are discriminated against, I would ask men where else they feel discriminated against, as you know much more than me in this area.

But what would be important in a more equal and caring world, is that both genders sit down and ask each other : what areas they need help in.

And we help each other.

Ah fantastic, so to help women feel less discriminated we should start discriminating against men. Great work, excellent idea. I really hope you're a troll for your own sake, if you're actually genuine and sincere with all these posts then I just hope you're not near any position of power, ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Yes it is amazing that a human being wants the same equal pay as other human beings.

Dakota Dan - the 1950's called.

A lady in her sixties told me that when she worked in a bank, her male colleague was paid twice as much as her for the same job.

She asked why, and was told, well he has to look after his family. She also had a family. That was the excuse back then. It is interesting to read what the excuses are now.

It is very easy to test the waters - just ask in any bank if that is the same now. If both sexes are paid the same then, woohoo, the war was won. Sometimes third..fourth? ...wave feminists remind me of the soldiers who got lost in the jungles in wars and were still fighting decades after the original fight was over.
    It is unnecessary aggravation. Unless one is seeking total dominance and the emasculation of men. Personally I prefer men who still have their balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

you claim under representation in the government.
    women have had the vote for 100 years.
    women are free to run for election . there is nothing stopping them
    women make up half the voting public so it is also women not voting for women.

quotas are a terrible way to do these things. irrelivent of gender how would you like the best person for a job brushed to the side so a lesser person for the job got it.

Gender quotas gave us swinggate, ISIS refugees woman and myriad other embarrassments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Gynoid wrote: »
    Can someone post me a direct example of where in Ireland for the exact same job a woman gets paid less than a man?

Please post examples...
    Eg in civil service position of equal grade, or on the assembly line in a factory doing the same thing or working in the supermarket, both doing the same job. Or a male nurse vs female nurse doing same job? Teacher pay different for male vs female teacher in same school? Female accountant in a company doing same hours, same work getting paid less? Etc etc. This is for my education purposes.

IF this is really happening I will be quite cross and fully on board the project of agitating for equal pay. Really I will, because it would be disgraceful. I would be a good ally fir the cause as I can be quite determined, so show me the proof please. Same job, same work, same hours, different pay.

If it is not happening then I will not care. But I will wonder briefly once more why there is lying about the gender pay gap.

IN fiarness, the OP never mentioned gneder "pay" gap - he just said gap. He also specidcially redered to directorial ppointments.

Now wehther the statistics back this up or whether there's mitigating favtors, I don't know - but to dismiss this as being about "pay" is fallacy.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

IN fiarness, the OP never mentioned gneder "pay" gap - he just said gap. He also specidcially redered to directorial ppointments.

Now wehther the statistics back this up or whether there's mitigating favtors, I don't know - but to dismiss this as being about "pay" is fallacy.

Ah I take back everything Princess. The thigh gap it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Good question.

It needs to start with each of us asking the other gender where they feel
    For women I would suggest:

Governments should have bigger gender quotas for women.

I'd feel pretty discriminated against if I was better qualified for a position but didn't get it simply because I'm male.
    "A Medical Council report has revealed that 62 per cent of 25 to 34-year-old Irish graduates are female, while women also make up the majority of Irish graduated doctors aged 35 to 44 years at 53 per cent." [URL="https://www.thejournal.ie/female-doctors-ireland-1046065-Aug2013/]Source[/URL]

How would you feel if a quote was applied to female doctors? Because that is what you are calling for here.
    "Countries with greater gender equality see a smaller proportion of women taking degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)" jobs that are typically higher paid than average. [URL="https://www.thejournal.ie/gender-equality-countries-stem-girls-3848156-Feb2018]Source[/URL]

Is it the men's fault that women are not choosing to go into professions that will result in higher pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

If all your managers, or most of your managers are poor...do you not think that maybe you are the problem?

That is not what I said, actually. I didn't say most of my managers were poor, but that all of the bad ones were men. I am not sure how you could possibly have misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Gynoid wrote: »
    Ah I take back everything Princess. The thigh gap it is.

Thread meet gutter; gutter this is thread :)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

From that OECD report:

"Women still earn considerably lower than men in all OECD countries",

Why do you think that is?

Why do you think that we have always had an 80% male government in Ireland? Because of sheer discrimination.

You are aware that you live in a country, where the political parties were told to nominate 30% women , or lose their funding. You are aware of that discrimination being tackled right?

I feel like I am talking to people - who aren't even aware of anything that goes on in their own country.

Sarah. No facts and data again. I'd say there is discriminatory for sure. But without the data, theres no way to measure it and thus no targeted way/s to deal with it.

As it has been said time and time again. The majority of men are interested in things and status and all the trappings that those bring. The majority of women are interested in people. That's actually a good thing. More men should be that way. But it doesnt pay as well, so they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

OK I’m a bit late to the party here, but this podcast from Freakonomics blog regarding a study by 5 Ivy League economists of Uber in 5 cities in the US over two years between 2015 & 2017 might be of interest. As Uber are able to choose what jobs they take and Uber is run by a gender neutral algorithm there can’t be any discrimination in allocating jobs. The nearest car can take any job. Also most passengers don’t care who gets them to where they want to go so they don’t discriminate on choosing who drives them. In this situation, the economists expected to find no gap in earnings when adjusting for differences between male and female drivers. But they found out that on average women earned 7% less than men because of other factors i.e. choosing not to work less sociable hours etc. The economists determined that even where no discrimination exists there will be an earnings gap because of differences in the way men and women work and choose to spend their time.

More info here.

bunderoon wrote: »
    Sarah. No facts and data again. I'd say there is discriminatory for sure. But without the data, theres no way to measure it and thus no targeted way/s to deal with it.

As it has been said time and time again. The majority of men are interested in things and status and all the trappings that those bring. The majority of women are interested in people. That's actually a good thing. More men should be that way. But it doesnt pay as well, so they don't.

Actually quite a few males spread across society do. These claims of a gender pay gap rarely, if ever, consider the males working on the lower ends of the salary brackets. I'm not talking about traditionally male dominated fields with low salaries although they certainly should be considered... however, there are males working in many areas dominated by females.

But the truth is that society itself places pressure on males to earn more money, connecting it to their sex appeal and attractiveness to women. It's little surprise that most males will swing towards the professions that pay the best. I've been seeing more and more articles internationally over the last few years about women complaining about having to date guys less successful financially than them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Here is a video of the Director of the Australian Workplace Gender Equality Agency questioned by Senator David Leyonhelm on the Agency’s figures presented to show that a gender pay gap exists. The Agency claimed a gender pay gap existed using Australian Bureau of Statistics ( ABS) figures but didn’t account for the difference in hours worked of make and female full time employees despite those figures being available in ABS figures.

https://youtu.be/z7hbNuToCOg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Here is a video of the Director of the Australian Workplace Gender Equality Agency questioned by Senator David Leyonhelm on the Agency’s figures presented to show that a gender pay gap exists. The Agency claimed a gender pay gap existed using Australian Bureau of Statistics ( ABS) figures but didn’t account for the difference in hours worked of make and female full time employees despite those figures being available in ABS figures.

https://youtu.be/z7hbNuToCOg

The amount of gibberish out of that woman's mouth is staggering...all 5 members of that organisation are no doubt a highly paid government/state officials.

Australia seems to be lashing back against the sheer volume of misleading narratives driven by feminists...here is another about the misleading rape crisis..

https://quillette.com/2019/12/21/derailing-australias-campus-rape-panic/

I highly recommend Quilette as a source of content for anyone interested in an alternative news/opinion source.

• Advertisement

Quilette has a bit of a right wing slant but everything is slanted one way or the other. You have to read both sides and form your own unbiased picture. Its not bad though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarahdunners

The amount of gibberish out of that woman's mouth is staggering...all 5 members of that organisation are no doubt a highly paid government/state officials.

Australia seems to be lashing back against the sheer volume of misleading narratives driven by feminists...here is another about the misleading rape crisis..

https://quillette.com/2019/12/21/derailing-australias-campus-rape-panic/

I highly recommend Quilette as a source of content for anyone interested in an alternative news/opinion source.

What is a feminist? I have never heard women ever, talking about feminism. It is a very strange term used online by men.

Who has used the term on this thread? Male posters only.

And I want to ask the men on here:

Can you hand on heart say that you have never experienced, or enjoyed power over women in this country?

Can you hand on heart say that you have never experienced, or enjoyed power over women in this country?

Ah will you go back into your social media rabbit hole where you all believe you are oppressed by powerful men.

No that would be incredibly misogynistic. You need to read the study that the article you originally linked was talking about, here it is: https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/167113/1/ifo-dice-report-v11-y2013-i1-p69-71.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 20,123 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Where do you think you are ? The Middle East ?

Cop on

Cyrus wrote: »

Cop on

A man said to me in Ireland, only last week,

"Why would men give up that bit of power over women, would you?"

Ah will you go back into your social media rabbit hole where you all believe you are oppressed by powerful men.

Silentcorner, you would swear that you have never talked to a woman in your life, you are bleating the same thing over and over to me.

Cyrus wrote: »

Cop on

Cop on? Are you aware of the long long history of men oppressing women in Ireland.

Are you serious?

• Advertisement

Silentcorner, you would swear that you have never talked to a woman in your life, you are bleating the same thing over and over to me.

I don't know any weak women who believe they are oppressed if that is what you mean?

Advertisement