Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what did Ireland do to improve on gender gap recent year ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

On a related note, Why is it always assumed that having more women in positions of power is axiomatically a good thing? Almost all of our female politicians are an embarrassment to the country. Mary Harney was probably the most inept politician in the history of the State.

This narrative that is constantly peddled by the media (women = great) is getting boring now.

Love the username!!!
    And I agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 20,123 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I don't think that men are inherently more motivated by gaining power. It is about how much the society respects women, and allows them to reach higher.

In Finland, the prime minister and most of her top M.P's are female.

My ideal career: I would love to have done a master's in International relations, a second master's in Politics, and worked my way up the Political ladder. I am really intelligent, but I have been called stupid by men in Ireland many times.

I feel in Ireland , it would just be too hard, and I would be too disrespected. I have had men call me stupid loads of times in Ireland. Look at the man on here who said that, "men are just better".I have talked to women in Government here, who said that they are talked down to, and treated really awfully, when they make it into Government.

However, if I had been born in Finland - that would have been the career that I would have really loved.

Your opinion of yourself hasn’t been damaged by all the bad men at least

And to say you haven’t gotten into politics because of men is so lame and self serving that I think you are trolling

You are doing a disservice to the dozens of women who have made the sacrifices required to be elected and take ministerial positions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I don't think that men are inherently more motivated by gaining power. It is about how much the society respects women, and allows them to reach higher.

My ideal career: I would love to have done a master's in International relations, a second master's in Politics, and worked my way up the Political ladder. I am really intelligent, but I have been called stupid by men in Ireland many times.

I feel in Ireland , it would just be too hard, and I would be too disrespected. I have had men call me stupid loads of times in Ireland. Look at the man on here who said that, "men are just better".I have talked to women in Government here, who said that they are talked down to, and treated really awfully, when they make it into Government.

However, if I had been born in Finland - that would have been the career that I would have really loved.

You do realise, that up until last July, Northern Ireland was governed by Theresa May Prime Minister, Karen Bradley Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Arlene Foster Leader of the DUP, Mary Lou McDonald and Mairead McGuiness Sinn Feain and Naomi Long Alliance Party....

That is Northern Ireland....just up the road....

It turned out the women were no better than the men!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

I am really intelligent, but I have been called stupid by men in Ireland many times.

Based on your posts here I am really struggling to believe the first part. However I find the 2nd part very easy to believe

Of course that assumes you're not a troll which tbh I think you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Yet you can't wrap your head around the very simple to understand gender earnings gap

Also, thank God you didn't take that career path, you having power would be dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/chart-of-the-day-for-every-100-girls-women/
    I know it is from US but the chart is sobering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Gynoid wrote: »
    Can someone post me a direct example of where in Ireland for the exact same job a woman gets paid less than a man?

Please post examples...
    Eg in civil service position of equal grade, or on the assembly line in a factory doing the same thing or working in the supermarket, both doing the same job. Or a male nurse vs female nurse doing same job? Teacher pay different for male vs female teacher in same school? Female accountant in a company doing same hours, same work getting paid less? Etc etc. This is for my education purposes.

IF this is really happening I will be quite cross and fully on board the project of agitating for equal pay. Really I will, because it would be disgraceful. I would be a good ally fir the cause as I can be quite determined, so show me the proof please. Same job, same work, same hours, different pay.

If it is not happening then I will not care. But I will wonder briefly once more why there is lying about the gender pay gap.

How does this thread have so many posts. The above is the 3rd post on this thread. Not one example given.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i would love to see that type of data for ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarahdunners

On a related note, Why is it always assumed that having more women in positions of power is axiomatically a good thing? Almost all of our female politicians are an embarrassment to the country. Mary Harney was probably the most inept politician in the history of the State.

This narrative that is constantly peddled by the media (women = great) is getting boring now.

What about the long list of corrupt male politicians in Ireland?

Charlie Haughey telling everyone to tighten their belts, while he bought an island for himself, and stole money from a Cancer fund - swiftly comes to mind.

You do realise, that up until last July, Northern Ireland was governed by Theresa May Prime Minister, Karen Bradley Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Arlene Foster Leader of the DUP, Mary Lou McDonald and Mairead McGuiness Sinn Feain and Naomi Long Alliance Party....

That is Northern Ireland....just up the road....

It turned out the women were no better than the men!!!

You do realise that Northern Ireland ... is a different country?

• Advertisement

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Based on your posts here I am really struggling to believe the first part. However I find the 2nd part very easy to believe

Of course that assumes you're not a troll which tbh I think you are

You certainly fit the rhetoric of men calling women stupid in this country, anyway.

How I want to define - feeling intelligent and being held back is:

I want to talk about Politics, International relations, Philosophy, History, and Literature with people.

But I am often told by men in this country that I am stupid, and to go back to the kitchen. Just a pair of tits etc etc.

I joined a Politics discussion group. It wasn't affiliated with any party. It was a discussion group. Any time that I or any of the women opened our mouths - one of the men would cut us down/laugh at us or tell us that we are stupid.

I clearly remember a man turning to other men, and laughing at me for something that I said.

This goes on. This should not be tolerated in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Annndd you completely missed the underlining point that was made....

You certainly fit the rhetoric of men calling women stupid in this country, anyway.

How I want to define - feeling intelligent and being held back is:

I want to talk about Politics, International relations, Philosophy, History, and Literature with people.

But I am often told by men in this country that I am stupid, and to go back to the kitchen. Just a pair of tits etc etc.

I joined a Politics discussion group. It wasn't affiliated with any party. It was a discussion group. Any time that I or any of the women opened our mouths - one of the men would cut us down/laugh at us or tell us that we are stupid.

I clearly remember a man turning to other men, and laughing at me for something that I said.

This goes on. This should not be tolerated in this country.

I honestly think that you are trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What about the long list of corrupt male politicians in Ireland?

Charlie Haughey telling everyone to tighten their belts, while he bought an island for himself, and stole money from a Cancer fund - swiftly comes to mind.

Again - blaming men is not discussion! Blaming a politician's corruption on his gender is not discussion!

Women can be corrupt too, and it didn't matter what their nationality is. What about the girl who feel if the swing and tried to sue the hotel for her own incompetence?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

bunderoon wrote: »
    Annndd you completely missed the underlining point that was made....

It is a completelt idiotic point to describe women being elected in Northern Ireland,

because we are talking about the severe lack of women being elected in the Republic of Ireland.

I honestly think that you are trolling.

What does trolling mean?

Often? That seems bizarre. Perhaps change the company you keep. I have never been told by a man (or a woman) that I am stupid, or to go to the kitchen. Or that I am just a pair of tits. Feel kinda left out now on that last one :(:(

You are smarter than I thought you were!!!

Often? That seems bizarre. Perhaps change the company you keep. I have never been told by a man (or a woman) that I am stupid, or to go to the kitchen. Or that I am just a pair of tits. Feel kinda left out now on that last one :(:(

Believe me , you are certainly not left out. Not just me.

I can think of the three last incidents that I saw/heard

I was on a bus last week, really busy just before Christmas. It was dark on the bus, a woman got on , she asked a man, "is there a seat beside you" he couldn't understand English,

A man shouted from the back of the bus. "Youre a good looking girl, you're talking to the wrong man, you can sit here on my lap, I'd like to hold you, you're a great looking girl"

She looked upset at what he said and said

"The old days are gone, I have a boyfriend of seven years". She was upset.

I was in another group, and a man said to another man - about a woman in the group, "make sure you stick your hand up her skirt!"

I was talking to a friend last month, and she said her boss came down to her and talked about being naked in the shower, and about his body. She said to me "I wanted to say to him - do you know how inappropriate that is"

What goes over most people's heads is that there are many different representations of a country.
    For the gender percentage aspect, what we see is more or less a fair representation of self obsessed pyschos who value money more than their fellow people. You have a small percentage of women in politics due to **news flash** women are less psychotic than men when it comes to money and power... and the majority of women you do see in the dail are NOT trustworthy. Recent happenings prove this. Pyschos exist in both sexes and both eventually rise to the top where they get noticed.

Women have to understand that men and women are different. And what we see at home, at work and in public life is a fairly good representation of these differences.

There is discrimination. There is sexism. Let's fight that together. But FIRST you need to know what or who to go after and WHY.. You cant fight small pockets of sexism against women with blanket sexism of all men.

• Advertisement

You are smarter than I thought you were!!!

You're not.

I was on a bus last week, really busy just before Christmas. It was dark on the bus, a woman got on , she asked a man, "is there a seat beside you" he couldn't understand English,

A man shouted from the back of the bus. "Youre a good looking girl, you're talking to the wrong man, you can sit here on my lap, I'd like to hold you, you're a great looking girl"

I was in another group, and a man said to another man - about a woman in the group, "make sure you stick your hand up her skirt!"

I was talking to a friend last month, and she said her boss came down to her and talked about being naked in the shower, and about his body. She said to me "I wanted to say to him - do you know how inappropriate that is"

Now be honest...did any of that happen...if you tell the truth you'll get some skittles!!

What goes over most people's heads is that there are many different representations of a country.
    For the gender percentage aspect, what we see is more or less a fair representation of self obsessed pyschos who value money more than their fellow people. You have a small percentage of women in politics due to **news flash** women are less psychotic than men when it comes to money and power... and the majority of women you do see in the dail are NOT trustworthy. Recent happenings prove this. Pyschos exist in both sexes and both eventually rise to the top where they get noticed.

Women have to understand that men and women are different. And what we see at home, at work and in public life is a fairly good representation of these differences.

There is discrimination. There is sexism. Let's fight that together. But FIRST you need to know what or who to go after and WHY.. You cant fight small pockets of sexism against women with blanket sexism of all men.

Thank you for being the first person on here to admit that;

There is discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭alias no.9

None of this really happened, did it?

Now be honest...did any of that happen...if you tell the truth you'll get some skittles!!

Yes and they are tame, compared to really bad things that I have seen/heard about.

So, you are reduced to calling women stupid, crazy, and now, liars - to feel important about yourself?

alias no.9 wrote: »
    None of this really happened, did it?

Aha. I see, you also have to call women liars...to feel good about yourself.

Interesting. Many of you are fitting the traditional "abusive male stereotype".

I wonder will anyone break the norm on here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Aha. I see, you also have to call women liars...to feel good about yourself.

Interesting. Many of you are fitting the traditional "abusive male stereotype".

I wonder will anyone break the norm on here

No, I'm merely calling your post a work of fiction. Where was the bus going?

Yes and they are tame, compared to really bad things that I have seen/heard about.

So, you are reduced to calling women stupid, crazy, and now, liars - to feel important about yourself?

There are going to be horrid crude people every now and then in life, of both sexes. Hen parties on the street can be as lewd as men. Ignoring people completely is a better plan than replying in such cases.
    It is true that some men are a significant danger to women but they are few. Sanctioning or castigating half the species for the ugly few among their half will not stop the predators because the predators dont care.
    As for the boss story, a boss would try that with me once and once only.

Thank you for being the first person on here to admit that;

There is discrimination

Ah, yes. Discrimination happens. Male on male, male on female. Female on female and female on men. Ffs, you didn't pick up on that?

Your blinkers are well and truly fixed to the sides of your head. Maybe you are willingly ignoring it. Maybe you are a troll. Or maybe you just do not comprehend the overall reality.
    Either way, I fear the effort of those on here trying to show you the reality are doing so in vain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭gw80

Calina wrote: »
    Actually, I would send both. And the women in the French Resistance would take issue with you suggesting they couldn't have fought against the Nazis.

Christ almighty.

Thats not what i asked,read the post.

Advertisement