Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever throw away something valuable

• 24-12-2019 6:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Not that I know of, but something that annoys me terribly is the following.

I grew up in a pub that went through many facelifts, in the 80s we had one of the first late bars or disco bars around our area, we sold that pub in 2000, but I remember in one of the attics there were 5 or 6 boxes of old vinyls - all first edition, 3 I distinctively remember were the beatles splhcb, guns n roses appetite FD and a born in the usa by bruce sprinsteen.

Now there were hundreds of these albums, all, as I say bought as they came out - it sticks in my head that somewhere in there, were a few albums that would be worth a pretty penny now, when we moved, they were left behind, building since been knocked!

So ah's, have you ever dumped or lost something that may now be worth a fortune?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Only my virginity.
    it was priceless......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

The cover bag / cleaning cloth for a new pair of oakleys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My dignity, many times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

A few years back myself and the wife were discussing how unsentimental we both were....... we aren't the type to hold onto our first cinema date ticket, for example.
    Anyway, next day (while she's at work) I decide to do something nice and tidy up the house....... including binning the kid's "artwork" from their first years in school.

Long story short, later that night my wife is on the couch in tears whilst I'm outside painstakingly going through the wheelie bin trying to decipher which items are actually rubbish from those that have "sentimental value".

I threw away the most valuable thing of all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My wedding ring, accidentally, unknown to me and within a couple of months of getting married!
    Didn't even notice until the next day :(

Have also on more than one occasion burnt gift or otherwise destroyed gift cards and the issuance receipt.

We all have bad days tho....
    Don't we? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

My life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,833 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Car key. Went in the bin, then into the bin truck. Cost couple hundred to get replaced.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

My passport. I'd taken it out to check the expiry date as we were going on holiday a couple of months later. It must have gotten mixed up with junk mail and I didn't notice until after the bins had been emptied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Threw away an original Rembrandt before..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

lawred2 wrote: »

I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

If it makes it any better OP - Born In The USA and Appetite For Destruction sold lots of copies at the time so not that rare. Unless Appetite has the controversial sleeve which was withdrawn early on. Sgt Pepper has been reissued many times over the years (especially 70s and 80s).

1990s vinyl is where the real rare gems are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Left a 50 note on the couch the other day. Let the dog in and noticed he had it in his mouth. Got half it back at least. Not much good to me tho :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Left a 50 note on the couch the other day. Let the dog in and noticed he had it in his mouth. Got half it back at least. Not much good to me tho :)
    If you have the serial number can't the central bank replace it after 6 months or something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Landlord was on at me to get rid of an old bike I had on apartment balcony the whole time when I was young.

It was a Dawes racer handed down to my father from his father. The wheels were punctured and I had a horrible hangover and I was young and rowdy so I tossed it in the bushes outside the apartment to spite him (the stupidity of youth).

Probably worth a few hundred or whatever now but more so the sentimentality of it. They both worked building sites and cycled all over Dublin on it.

Now I cycle all over Dublin working on building sites. I’d have loved to have dragged it out of the shed the odd day to remind me how much cycling technology has come and how tough they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

receipts for a work trip that i needed to expense and threw them out when i was cleaning up. realised to late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Three years ago, was in New York and feeling the love, decided to buy mam an Louis Vuitton handbag for Christmas. Ok it was meant as a small thank you for making life wonderful.

Anyway, flew home and the bag was presented as a Christmas present. Of course, it was all “you shouldn’t have” “it’s lovely, but what will I do with it”... thinking she knew what it was I flew back to the States a few days later.

Anyhoo!!!! I arrive home in Summer and no sign of the bag.

I ask her why she isn’t using it.

Turns out, her niece (a good bit younger than us) arrived unexpectedly to visit. She had nothing to give her, so regifted the LV handbag.

Needless to say, the minute Christmas comes ...... so does my cousin..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Urm last sentence is a bit unsettling

Urm last sentence is a bit unsettling

Why? Love my cousin to bits. Have never had the heart to tell her directly and at the end of the day everyone is happy. mam gets a visit from her niece ... I get to see them both and everyone loves christmas... Louis V brings people together. :)

• Advertisement

NSAman wrote: »
    Why? Love my cousin to bits. Have never had the heart to tell her directly and at the end of the day everyone is happy. mam gets a visit from her niece ... I get to see them both and everyone loves christmas... Louis V brings people together. :)

I understand, I’d be happy to see your mam and cousin coming too I’m sure you have a lovely chrismas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

But he was sh1t at sculptures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

About a year after our wedding or maybe a bit longer was going through a bag of wedding stuff, cards, invitations, ribbons etc. Found a cheque for a few hundred which was a wedding gift that obviously we hadn’t noticed or forgotten about. Phoned bank but too late to cash it at that stage they said to contact the person who wrote it to get it reissued, I didn’t though, would have felt wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Who would want to think about their cousin coming....... get it now?

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Who would want to think about their cousin coming....... get it now?
    Oh get over yerself... it was said tongue in cheek.... ffs... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭gw80

Not sure if it was anything valuable or not but when my grandfather died i found a couple of books of old stamps he must have collected when younger, i didn't think much of them so just put them aside but they got lost in all the sorting out of his stuff,
    Hows ever, called into friends home one time and noticed lots of stamps around, turns out he was big into stamp collecting, told him about the ones my grandfather had and told him he could have them if i could find them, had to come back to him and tell him they were probably thrown out, he was not happy, that was nearly 10 years ago and he still asks if i have come across them yet while shaking his head at me,

Oh get over yerself... it was said tongue in cheek.... ffs... ;)

Like a French kiss,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Bose Sounddock - had moved house and packed it in with some old clothes.. forgot about it, couple of weeks later saw the bag of clothes and ditched them out.. found the remote a week later and remembered where the dock was.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

banie01 wrote: »
    My wedding ring, accidentally, unknown to me and within a couple of months of getting married!
    Didn't even notice until the next day :(

Have also on more than one occasion burnt gift or otherwise destroyed gift cards and the issuance receipt.

We all have bad days tho....
    Don't we? ;)

Snap!!!!!

Wedding ring also.....

Used to have a habit of when eating taking off my watch and my ring.

I still remember the pain in the car as my gaze fell on my hand and realisation set in.

I have left it.......on the ****ing tray in McDonald’s.

Spent hours going through 10 bags of rubbish from there in my garage (all that days rubbish which I am surprised they allowed me take).

The only think I found after that search was that a very high proportion of people don’t like gerkins.

(Thank **** it wasn’t my watch! Was an expensive price)!

• Advertisement

Some of the toys I used to have as a kid are worth a pretty penny now. Especially the full original "Voltron" and some transformers.

Definitely some good vinyl went astray over the years too. Some Hank Williams originals I have seen going for good money on ebay.

To be honest though the most valuable things I have thrown away are receipts that later would have been useful. All added together - a better habit of keeping receipts overall would probably have me 10 to 15k richer today.

I checked into a hotel room after travelling a long time, and I stood in the doorway of the bedroom and bathroom. The plan was to toss my wad of used tissue into the loo, and toss my phone on the bed. It didn't work out the way I'd planned.

I left a bag with textbooks worth £100's as well as my weeks earnings from my PT job on a bus as young student. Every time I think about it I re-experience the sinking feeling I felt when I realized what I'd done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Sibling, when we were younger, got friendly with an old lady from a very well to do protestant family who had been huge landowners in the area in the past. The lady ended up giving her this pristine book of stamps that she has been given as a kid which was preserved in plastic that has been passed down through the family. My sister being a kid ended up taking the stamps from the well-preserved surroundings and sticking them into a scrapbook to make a kind of collage. The collection after being used like that was now I presume worthless but then also got lost down through the years. I always wonder what that collection would have been worth or if it had any priceless gems among it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The bank will honour it. Done that a few times with the cats. As long as they can see what it is. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

banie01 wrote: »
    ;)

Me too. I don't even know when. A couple of decades ago anyway. But thats because I manage to throw away, lose or damage most things. So I have one pair of earrings which were a tenner in the Galway market and that is all the jewelry I own. The kids or himself don't buy me any stuff, as they know I will lose, throw away or break it. Don't know why this is, I'm not particularly careless or reckless. Valuable material things just pass briefly through my hands and disappear or crumble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Nope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement