Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Airport experience

Options
  • 24-12-2019 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

I’m based overseas but home for the holidays. Decided to take a couple of days away in Germany and here is my experience of Dublin airport as a departing passenger.

Check in was fine and security queue was short. However after my bag was scanned, one of the ASU agents came over and quite aggressively stated that I had an aerosol in my bag. Now I haven’t used aerosols in a long time but I do have an electric toothbrush which could be mistaken for aerosol. I asked this but she was insistent that it was an aerosol. Without a) asking for permission or b) asking if I had anything sharp or dangerous in my bag she started taking stuff out of my bag. Once she had everything out and saw there was no aerosol, she put everything back in (not in the order I had packed it) and said the bag needed to be scanned again. Finally after this second scan she accepted I didn’t have an aerosol. (Incidentally the person after me was aggressively accused of having jam but actually had candles). I understand that ASU have a job to do but the attitude and rudeness of the agent was not a great experience.

Anyway on to the gate, I went through T2 security but gate was 303. The area just after T1 security was a mess with people trying to get to 3xx/1xx gates and people just after coming through security trying to get their stuff together or stopping to check screens. It would make sense for DAA to direct all traffic for 3xx/1xx gates to T1 security and stop this cross traffic airside. Land side has more space.

Get to 303 and it’s like a zoo. Turns out the Qatar Airways flight to Doha is leaving from 304, so a 787 plane load of passengers are waiting to board. No seats to sit and wait and multiple queues and people sitting on the floor. Not sure how anyone thinks boarding that flight from that area makes sense.

Overall one of the worst airport experiences I’ve had in a while or maybe ever, even next to places like LAX.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You didn't even get to do the Ryanair hoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Christmas in an airport basically.
    Arrive early, get security out of the way, and find somewhere to drink.

You shouldn't have brought deodorant in your hand luggage.

(just messing)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Must just have been a bad day. All of of the ASUs in Dublin are great, professional and efficient guys and gals. Better than any of the airports I’ve travelled out of in fact especially in terms of friendliness and efficiency... could just have been under pressure time of the year and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Recently flying to the UK. My carry on was scanned, and had to be searched, the agent comes over to me and asks if it is my bag, I say it is, he asks "did you pack this yourself" so I assume he's making a joke about how messy it is and I'm chuckling and I'm like "ye, it was me", he's stoney-faced, he then goes and pulls out an old bottle of aftershave which he bins, and then he pulls out a bread knife, I was absolutely mortified. Not the most jovial man to be honest, though equally it must be tough dealing with idiots at 6am trying to bring knives on planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Strumms wrote: »
    Must just have been a bad day. All of of the ASUs in Dublin are great, professional and efficient guys and gals. Better than any of the airports I’ve travelled out of in fact especially in terms of friendliness and efficiency... could just have been under pressure time of the year and everything.

Bad day for sure but I’ve seen similar attitudes in other ASU agents before. Last time I saw one of them loudly berate a woman who was struggling with a buggy and baby.

In this case she wouldn’t even look at my toothbrush and kept insisting it was an aerosol. She had a number of chances to change the tone of the interaction but didn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Did you get to meet 'Bruce Almighty' in Dublin airport.??

Try taking a late flight out of Amsterdam to Dublin and check in right beside your gate but walk all the way to the opposite side to get through security to walk all the way back again.

The old OIrish boarding area in T1 Heathrow was shocking especially during the summer.

JFK security is shocking. Try squeezing through the terminal airside at Schonefeld when it’s busy.

Point is every airport or nearly every airport has its inefficiencies. We’ve all had rotten experiences. Spare a thought for those who have to spend 8-10 hours every day talking to imbeciles who constantly try to bring inappropriate stuff through security. They were right to call you on it, yes attitude may have been off but that’s their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Try taking a late flight out of Amsterdam to Dublin and check in right beside your gate but walk all the way to the opposite side to get through security to walk all the way back again.

The old OIrish boarding area in T1 Heathrow was shocking especially during the summer.

JFK security is shocking. Try squeezing through the terminal airside at Schonefeld when it’s busy.

Point is every airport or nearly every airport has its inefficiencies. We’ve all had rotten experiences. Spare a thought for those who have to spend 8-10 hours every day talking to imbeciles who constantly try to bring inappropriate stuff through security. They were right to call you on it, yes attitude may have been off but that’s their job.

Amsterdam is a pain, Heathrow isn’t great but Stanstead has to be the worst... Gatwick is brilliant by miles the best London airport, security do their job but are courteous and professional.

I haven’t been to those airports so I take your point. I will say there are a lot of airports in North America that are well designed - max 5 minutes from security to gate and plenty of seating areas relative to the flights leaving.

Also I agree that they need to investigate suspicious items but there’s a good way and a bad way of going about this. A positive attitude will be reciprocated as will a negative attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Strumms wrote: »
    Must just have been a bad day. All of of the ASUs in Dublin are great, professional and efficient guys and gals.

Most are indeed great, but you do get the occasional individual on a power trip.

Air travel would be great without the other people :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Dublin airport is by far the best I've encountered, its consistent and quick. They do not let things slip through.

AMS has improved since they got the new CT scan system. LHR T5 is consistently slow, rude and difficult they seem to take pleasure in holding you up.

US is a farce, poorly trained staff and ridiculous rules

Dublin airport is by far the best I've encountered, its consistent and quick. They do not let things slip through.

No complaints about the speed, just the assumption that I did have an aerosol and was deliberately hiding it
    AMS has improved since they got the new CT scan system. LHR T5 is consistently slow, rude and difficult they seem to take pleasure in holding you up.

US is a farce, poorly trained staff and ridiculous rules

I feel like TSA has improved in the last year. I’ve been through LAX, SAN, OGG and DFW (LAX and SAN multiple times) in the past year and any interactions I’ve had with them they have been fair and reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I've found them to be that little more rude in T1 and have more sworn that I will pay extra for FastTrack but I can understand how frustrated security can get with airheads trying to get through with prohibited items - the *rules don't apply to me Brigade*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

If this is one of your worst Airport experiences ever i'd say its not too bad? One of the busiest days of the year and someone was a bit short with you?

There is a bit of a bottleneck there at 3XX gates, but again, probably only so bad 15 days per year when airport is near peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

But what about ARRIVALS at Dublin Airport?
    This is the first impression visitors have of arriving in Dublin and its a slow inefficient mess with long winding queues, confusing passport-reading machines and poor service generally. There may be worse airports but I have never encountered them in other European cities. I always find Dublin Airport the most stressful to arrive at.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ernest wrote: »
    This is the first impression visitors have of arriving in Dublin and its a slow inefficient mess with long winding queues, confusing passport-reading machines and poor service generally. There may be worse airports but I have never encountered them in other European cities. I always find Dublin Airport the most stressful to arrive at.

Agreed, between those stupid and utterly pointless North gates, having to climb stairs only to go back down when arriving, not having stairs at an aircraft late at night and massive lines at passport control (but that's getting better in fairness), they still have lot to.improve on.

I think from departures though, it's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Stansted for departures is by far the worst.

Gatwick is the best of the regular London airports but London City will always win, even though its a bit small and cramped the sheer convenience of it.

Cork is still top of my list because its so small yet has all the facilities and feel of a much bigger airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

I find Amsterdam to be really good now in terms of security anyway. The new x-ray scanners means you don;t have to take anything out of the bag so it really quickens things up. You do have to walk for an absolute age to get to the AerLingus or Ryanair gates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ah lissen Son,back in the day,ye could have butterkrust AND an oul Sing-Song while ye were waitin...

https://www.facebook.com/StairnahEireann/videos/2446998375414609/ :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Leaving from Terminal 1 at CDG is an experience. The oddest 'escalators'...

As long as you avoid flying out at the same time as the transatlantic flights and avoid the South Gates, T2 is fine to fly through, even with the security theatre. With no security queue, it can be even pleasant.

Arriving...my flight is usually shorter than the time from landing to the arrivals hall. Again especially if you are dumped out in the cold at the South Gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Really , I find Dublin airport a breeze to arrive in , avoid e machines they are Painful go to immigration flash Your passport and they’ll say wellcome home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭shanec1928

People giving out about lack of seats and poor experience would be in for a shock to visit a few airports in Africa. Addis Ababa being one of the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

T2 security was a disaster last time I went through it, which is funny because usually people complain about T1 but I've generally had fine experiences in T1.

The queues were huge, took over an hour. People were very panicky due to nearly missing fights.

Most of the scanners weren't open and the security staff were clearly under pressure, and inexperienced and probably underpaid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

You have got to be kidding. Dublin is a simple and friendly airport. have you ever arrived in Mexico City or left from there?

Compared to most american airports Dublin is clean and although facilities airside are poor at gates, it is a nice experience. Security have always been courteous compare that with recent experiences in JFK, LAX, ORD MIA for example and you would not complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

T1 has always been a lab rat's maze of getting off the aircraft and then going through an obstacle course of up, down,left, right until you get popped out at the carousels. I always thought it unfair to the elderly and infirm. T2 requires a level of patience as an employee, that would make your kind boggle, as it is a warren of grey painted corridors, unmarked doors and lifts cunningly hidden around corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Stovepipe wrote: »
    T1 has always been a lab rat's maze of getting off the aircraft and then going through an obstacle course of up, down,left, right until you get popped out at the carousels. I always thought it unfair to the elderly and infirm. T2 requires a level of patience as an employee, that would make your kind boggle, as it is a warren of grey painted corridors, unmarked doors and lifts cunningly hidden around corners.

T1 isn't that bad, just a long walk from Ryanair.

T2 is confusing to depart, as you check in on the ground floor, but security is on the second, but that's to make arriving much more pleasant experience as security, baggage and exit and busses don't require a floor change.

No one complains about their dozens of boring airport experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I fly at least once a month with work, and find Dublin a pleasure to travel through compared to most airports, baggage comes out swiftly, the amenities after the refurb are good, security organised and polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dfx- wrote: »
    Leaving from Terminal 1 at CDG is an experience. The oddest 'escalators'...

As long as you avoid flying out at the same time as the transatlantic flights and avoid the South Gates, T2 is fine to fly through, even with the security theatre. With no security queue, it can be even pleasant.

Arriving...my flight is usually shorter than the time from landing to the arrivals hall. Again especially if you are dumped out in the cold at the South Gates.

It always amuses me the way they check your boarding pass at least 5 times before you are on the plane!

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    T1 isn't that bad, just a long walk from Ryanair.

T2 is confusing to depart, as you check in on the ground floor, but security is on the second, but that's to make arriving much more pleasant experience as security, baggage and exit and busses don't require a floor change.

No one complains about their dozens of boring airport experiences.

T2 arrivals is upstairs too so you need to cross the walkway and go down to get to buses, taxis etc. Some of the bus services are a fair trek away from T2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Inquitus wrote: »
    It always amuses me the way they check your boarding pass at least 5 times before you are on the plane!

This. I love the way there’s a check at both ends of gates with airbridges - and how there’s always someone who’s put the pass away and needs to root around to find it again.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement