Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Airport experience

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Strumms wrote: »
    If a bunch of people want to cause havoc on a passenger aircraft to bring anything through to enable this it would need to pass an x-ray check, yes in small quantities doable... need to pass ETD scanning... doubtful, need then to be assembled... an explosive device needs... an explosive, container, charge, detonator, power source... not impossible but extremely improbable to be made possible... it hasn’t to my knowledge been done yet.

What difference does the volume of liquid make to this? Can an x-ray detect between something like concentrated sulphuric acid from water or shampoo? You still need the detonator etc so what use is the limit on liquids..

Clearly from the thread, the security experience is a major part of the overall experience over cost and waiting and processing times for any airport. Dublin is no better or more pleasant in security than anywhere else and it is mostly staff related.

The fact that T1 and T2 are inter-accessible after security is a large positive, it should not be hard to find another shop to look around or seat to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Great airport.
    Ive been in many worse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I have really only had one bad experience in Dublin Airport and I have been using it for years. In general, once you arrive early enough, double check all your luggage and paperwork for correctness and be pleasant to people in security you will be fine. If you arrive late on a busy or hot day then you have to expect some hassle.

The only issue I had was when I was transferred from one exit gate to another last year when going to Heathrow, I was asking this guy who seemed to be working in the baggage carousel area about it and I only got halfway into my sentence "Excuse me I was transferred to a different gat--" and he cut me off "I don't know anything about that, why would that mean anything to me" and walked right off. Ignorant little b$stard is all he was and if I had my time over I would have asked him did he sue the charm school he went to. Apart from that, Dublin Airport is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

dfx- wrote: »
    What difference does the volume of liquid make to this? Can an x-ray detect between something like concentrated sulphuric acid from water or shampoo? You still need the detonator etc so what use is the limit on liquids..

Clearly from the thread, the security experience is a major part of the overall experience over cost and waiting and processing times for any airport. Dublin is no better or more pleasant in security than anywhere else and it is mostly staff related.

Volume of liquid explosive will determine the power of the explosion...water and liquid explosive look the same on an X-ray screen.....1kg of Semtex wont cause as much damage as 10kgs...if your bag is xrayed and there is a dark brown mass of organic material they will hand search or etd first. They can also detect liquids.

500 mls of Nitroglycerin won’t cause the same damage as 10 liters... that’s why the limits are set, ie. Not enough allowances to cause critical damage to the aircraft or loss of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Mmm expat comes home at Christmas and says how crap things are in Ireland. How novel.

Dublin airport TBF is one of the better European airports and I say this as somebody who travels quite a bit with work.

Would love to see what you think about American airports, lol

Peak times are carp at all airports, my wife came came pack recently from Newark airport and was charged $9 just for the luggage trolley.

Go to Amsterdam airport and you will pay over €4 for a bottle of water, in Dublin it will cost you €1 from the honesty box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

I can tell you one thing that fast track is worth every cent. Use it every time I have to use the airport.

you shouldnt have too though if t was organised correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

glomar wrote: »

I went through the airport 10 days before Xmas, fast track would have been a complete waste of money as there was zero queue.
    I have used it at other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Always check the live security times for both terminals on the Dublin Airport app while on the transfer bus from the car park .
    If they're excessive , just buy the Fast Track at that stage .

I went through the airport 10 days before Xmas, fast track would have been a complete waste of money as there was zero queue.
    I have used it at other times.

Totally..You can get lucky, or unlucky... I’ve done the same where I’ve paid for fast track and on getting there found zero Q in the regular lines and thought... ‘ok, didn’t need fast track on the other hand if I’d been delayed in work, flying out on a Friday night and all the extra passengers it’s at least peace of mind...that you can relax, grab a pint/burger and chill before your flight, after the busy week. There certainly have been times where I’ve been glad of it. It’s a stress remover in the main, god knows airports these days can be hard work... Dublin ain’t too bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

glomar wrote: »

Or like Stansted, where they artificially keep the queues at 20 minutes and have it set up so you can't see the length of the queue, just so you buy fast-track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I have long held the opinion that Dublin Airport is one of the best around. I travel a decent bit to far flung and near destinations, but I also bring large groups away on school tours (usually between 90 and 110 kids aged 13ish).. without doubt Dublin has been the easiest airport experience with groups. Have used Beauvais, CDG, El Prat, Girona, Frankfurt, Rome Fumicino, and Gatwick.. security are so helpful and courteous to the kids, check-in is often a dream as they open desks just for us (never happened anywhere else) and the speed of the baggage on arrival is very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Thumbs up from me for Dublin airport , always find it fine to get through and fly from .

Some of the Uk airports are torture to get through , Manchester airport security has to be the worst , followed by Liverpool.

Security moves quickly in Dublin and never had any issues , friendly staff too .

It’s the idiots who get to the top of the security queue and then realise .. what .. we have to empty our pockets and do we really have to take out all the toiletries and can we not bring the 15 litres of liquid through .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Never had issues with Dublin Airport. I do understand what you're saying about attitude. The security guy asked to check my bag and I had a few bottles but I just hadn't taken them out. Said they just went straight through in Abu Dhabi so just thought the same for the way back. Then he said he was coming to Abu Dhabi for the golf as he always does and we had a laugh about possibly bumping in to each other again.
    It was a nice experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Knock airport for life though! :pac: what a breeze.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Thumbs up from me for Dublin airport , always find it fine to get through and fly from .

Some of the Uk airports are torture to get through , Manchester airport security has to be the worst , followed by Liverpool.

Security moves quickly in Dublin and never had any issues , friendly staff too .

It’s the idiots who get to the top of the security queue and then realise .. what .. we have to empty our pockets and do we really have to take out all the toiletries and can we not bring the 15 litres of liquid through .

Manchester airport is the most chaotic airport I've passed through. Never want to see the place again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Manchester airport is the most chaotic airport I've passed through. Never want to see the place again!

some of the worst security staff as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

some of the worst security staff as well

We were once just waved through security in Manchester because the queue was too long. Incoming flight from Chicago, connecting to Dublin and there was security before we got to our connecting gate. September 2002 I think it was so the world was on high alert being the anniversary of Sept 11 2001. Not Manchester airport though!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,690 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Awfully inefficiently laid out immigration also - the glacial immigration speed was mostly Border Force's fault rather than the airport but throughput was being throttled due to how bad it was.

Flying to a terminal destination in the UK from somewhere other than Ireland is never fun due to Border Force!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Caranica wrote: »
    We were once just waved through security in Manchester because the queue was too long. Incoming flight from Chicago, connecting to Dublin and there was security before we got to our connecting gate. September 2002 I think it was so the world was on high alert being the anniversary of Sept 11 2001. Not Manchester airport though!

I was one of a planeload of passengers abandoned in a corridor in Manchester airport for an hour while no-one from UK border patrol was available to let us through! It's still an awful airport.

Dublin is usually ok. What I've found in recent years, when traveling with a child, is that security there are pretty helpful and try to put you at ease.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

When I was at Manchester they changed the gate of our flight. A public announcement was made with the new gate details. We got to the new gate and the gate displated the details of another flight. There were 2 plane loads of people going to 2 different locations trying to board at the same gate. I've never seen such confusion at an airport. Security was dreadful as well. Long slow lines and rude staff.

• Advertisement

Yes not a whole bunch of fun. Another airport where from starting to Q for checking in to getting through security can be an hour plus, a good deal of time needed to negotiate through retail followed by depening on the terminal, long assed walks to the gates.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've no love for Dublin Airport. We're spoiled with the utter ease of use and convenience of Shannon - the lack of connectivity sucks though.

Pearson in Toronto was the craziest airport I ever used. 3 hour check ins were recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭markpb

Always check the live security times for both terminals on the Dublin Airport app while on the transfer bus from the car park .
    If they're excessive , just buy the Fast Track at that stage .

The website says you can't buy FastTrack within two hours of your flight's departure time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

markpb wrote: »
    The website says you can't buy FastTrack within two hours of your flight's departure time.

You can buy fast track at kiosks in the airport for €9.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

You can buy FastTrack right up to departure .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

EI LGW inbound on Thursday landed and we deplaned at the south gates, with all of T2 being empty on the side we could see . On asking handler was told "no idea, its a pain for us as well, ask DAA ops" cue long bus ride round the house ( this was during the afternoon )

Advertisement