Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Metal To Bend?

Options
  • 24-12-2019 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Could I use a calor gas camping stove to heat a galvanised strap to the 'cherry red' I believe it should be, before I hammer it over at a right angle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does the stove go red hot?

Just lob it in a vice and bate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Oh! I can just have at it with the claw hammer then? Excellent! Was afraid it would snap.

Saves me some messing around then :D

Thanks!

(And the stove? Dunno. Not long had it and never used it yet :P For power cut cuppa's)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Watch the fumes from Galvanised when heated, they aren't good.

Yeppers. Thanks. I'd already heard something about that, somewhere.

Along with the stoves instructions, I was ready to do it in the fresh air. Happily, seems I won't need to :)

But, yes; Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what kind of strap

• Advertisement

Dunno, mate. Only ever known them as " Galvy Straps ". May even be a term I came up with myself? About an inch wide. Two foot long. Holes drilled all the way up 'em. Couldn't even say where I got them from, or why.

But, if I can bend a couple of them, tomorrow? Then I may be on my way to completing the MOART! (A little DIY project I've been mulling over for some time now) I'm Really hyped and excited about this. I'm having to think like an engineer, on my toes. (Think: Trying to get an engineer to think like a rat catcher)

Anyway, I appear to have the answer to my initial question now. Vice and hammer. I also envisage finding great and noble use for my newly acquired pop riveter too ~ a real game changer!

I'm really feeling like a kiddie at xmass. Looking forward to tomorrow, when I can forge ahead. 'Cept I don't need to forge anything. Just tap it with a hammer :)

if its a wallplate strap then it will bend easily. i regularly twist them to with a stilson and a vice

" Wallplate Strap ". That rings a dim and distant bell! And, yes, now ye mention it? Twisting was the exact problem I found with these things, when I tried to use them in another (Now held) project. In fact, I'll be stripping them off that one!

Just never equated twisty with bendy. Fortunately; There'll really be no stresses on the straps as I intend to use them.

I do enjoy a project that tests and challenges ones ingenuity and resourcefulness. I have this niggling feeling that this job may end up needing a couple of a certain sized bolts, and nuts for them?
    Sod that! I'm not sitting on my hands till I can get back into town! I'm thinking round nails and blobs of hot glue! :D

I used to live, literally, across the road from a major builders merchants. Straight line from my front door to theirs. Instant gratification, every time. Now? If I don't have a certain nail or screw in my work room? It can stop a project dead in its tracks, for a week or more. And I abhor inertia. That focuses the mind and nurtures creativeness.

Just for closure of this point; Colm had it exactly right! Hold them in my little corner vice. Few taps with an ordinary claw hammer. Job done! I was over thinking That aspect, like a boss :o

Hasn't stopped the job morphing into an absolute nightmare though! But, if I can get Just the right pop rivets? I reckon I'll have created a legend! :D

Stigura wrote: »
    Just for closure of this point; Colm had it exactly right! Hold them in my little corner vice. Few taps with an ordinary claw hammer. Job done! I was over thinking That aspect, like a boss :o

Hasn't stopped the job morphing into an absolute nightmare though! But, if I can get Just the right pop rivets? I reckon I'll have created a legend! :D

you cant leave it like that . what have you created

• Advertisement

Someone hasn't been following ....!

I'm calling it the " MOART ". Or, I may call it the " Defrocked Priest ". Because it'll hold the Black Mass :)

Advertisement