Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter / urban jacket

Options
  • 24-12-2019 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭

I've recently bought a Brompton and I'm trying to use it as my main mode of transport - aside from a short commute looking for a jacket to wear over normal clothes going to shops or bars etc. Most of my cycling gear is more for wearing over lycra so not big enough to wear over a shirt or jumper etc

Any suggestions? Looking for something bright, breathable and lightly water resistant - I only typically do short journeys and have alternatives for the rainiest days so doesn't need to be something that is expensive and water proof.

Thinking of a Rapha commuter but want to look at alternatives

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Stolen Goat Orkaan (might be too much) is like a gabba, but it has some of the very best reflective detail I've ever seen on a jacket. It's very subtle too until a light hits it. Race for though.

Parenting Vita is superb too but fairly dark. It's now my most used jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Mountain biking stuff is a good bet for commuting in casual clothes I find.

I use an Endura Singletrack. Looks good, long at the back for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does anyone have the Proviz Nightrider 2.0?

Looks like a choice between that or the Rapha Commuter jacket for what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭kirving

I have an Endura Singletrack which I find excellent, but I prefer not to use it at winter/night time since it's navy in colour.

The zips mean I can wear a wide selection of clothing under it, and in various weather and always keep at good temperature.

A good few friends have a Proviz Reflect 360, and all think they're great. I believe some are heavier than others insulation wise. Beware if you wear a backpack, as the reflective glass beads can wear off over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

A good few friends have a Proviz Reflect 360, and all think they're great. I believe some are heavier than others insulation wise. Beware if you wear a backpack, as the reflective glass beads can wear off over time.
    I've noticed these out driving a few times and thought they were really good, didn't know what they were until you posted. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ReReg Numpty

Pro Viz jackets don't wear very well. Better off with one of their gilets.

Galibier Bedoin is a really nice all rounder jacket. Its dark...but not a problem if you're lights are good.

https://galibier.cc/product/bedoin-podium-jacket/

I was dropping into Joe Daly on my way home anyway and I had a credit note burning a hole in my pocket. Bought an Altura Night Vision jacket for about sixty euro after discount and credit note. Hopefully that will make me a bit more visible!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm still going trial and error on this -

Rapha Commuter got sent back - didn't like the feel of the material, didn't seem very breathable and while great for day time visibility (got the bright orange), it wasn't at all reflective.

Have been using the Endura Urban Flipjak navy / bright blue reversible which is great - nice fit, looks good enough to wear off the bike and it's quite warm. But 10 degrees on my commute today and it is way too warm with just a tshirt and not pushing hard. So i'll keep it for properly wintery days but still looking for something for anything above 10.

At this stage I'm considering just emailing Galibier to beg them to make what I want (my Tourmalet rain jacket but with a better fit for wearing casual clothes underneath, more pockets and maybe a bit more reflectivity)

I'm finding my Altura Thunderstorm quite sweaty as the weather warms up slightly. When I bought it I was told that the ProViz have poor breathability. I think for visibility it's great all the same.

Advertisement