Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Pension

Options
  • 24-12-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi all,

Happy Christmas first at all.

Just wondering to look at private pension. Where would you start looking at? Do your recommend any specific plan?

Thanks,
    Kaldo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Kaldo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Happy Christmas first at all.

Just wondering to look at private pension. Where would you start looking at? Do your recommend any specific plan?

Thanks,
    Kaldo

Go talk to some financial advisors. I mean 3 or 4 of them. Figure out exactly what you want and what's right for you. Learn how a pension works and what you want it to do for you. I worked in this industry before and usually met people a few times before they really knew what they wanted.

Not as simple as just selecting a particular plan, you need to be walked and talked through the plan (your own plan, not a plan from a financial services company)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaldo

;)
    Go talk to some financial advisors. I mean 3 or 4 of them. Figure out exactly what you want and what's right for you. Learn how a pension works and what you want it to do for you. I worked in this industry before and usually met people a few times before they really knew what they wanted.

Not as simple as just selecting a particular plan, you need to be walked and talked through the plan (your own plan, not a plan from a financial services company)

Thank you!

Do you recommend any financial advisor? Do they usually provide free advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

;)

Thank you!

There are financial advisors that charge a fee for consultations and they are completely independent usually and send you the direction you should be going.
    Most advisors work for brokers or are tied agents of a company and get paid commission by pension providers if you place business with them. These range from salesmen who just want a sale to others who are still excellent advisors. That's why I'm saying go talk to a few.
    If you want clarification on anything said to you post back here, some people struggle to understand the whole concept of it.... Compound interest, tax relief, annuities, ARFs, tax free lump sums.... There's a bit to get through

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

;)

Thank you!

When it comes to the financial world, nothing comes for free. You eventually pay one way or another. 'Free' advice will be offered only on product options that pay the advisor a commission or retro fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

I usually start with google and youtube.

• Advertisement
Advertisement