Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog's intense barking in back garden

• 24-12-2019 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Whenever I let pooch out into the back garden, there are no problems. But when I let her out the back garden and I have to go out myself to say, hang clothes on the line, she goes crazy barking. She will start by looking up at the roof and bark like mad. The she will run loops of the garden barking really loudly and will stop now and again and look up towards the roof and go crazy barking again. I dont know why she might be doing this? I am worried it will start to upset the neighbours. When she is alone in the back garden, she is fine. Any ideas why she might do this and anything i can do to train her to maybe not go as crazy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

Maybe she can see paddy's cat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank you for caring about your neighbours!

Whenever I let pooch out into the back garden, there are no problems. But when I let her out the back garden and I have to go out myself to say, hang clothes on the line, she goes crazy barking. She will start by looking up at the roof and bark like mad. The she will run loops of the garden barking really loudly and will stop now and again and look up towards the roof and go crazy barking again. I dont know why she might be doing this? I am worried it will start to upset the neighbours. When she is alone in the back garden, she is fine. Any ideas why she might do this and anything i can do to train her to maybe not go as crazy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

My neighbours dog is barking too much for my liking as well . Waste of time talking to neighbours so going to get some anti barking device to try stop the dog or reduce the barking . Anyone any suggestions of a anti bark device ??

Thought the OP means HER dog is barking too much and she is concerned for her neighbours?
    I have trouble here with the collies at the farm; having some success with a "silent" whistle. Distracts them. And the owners do not hear it ;).

y neighbours dog is barking too much for my liking as well . Waste of time talking to neighbours so going to get some anti barking device to try stop the dog or reduce the barking . Anyone any suggestions of a anti bark device ??[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Did you never watch Lassie? Little Timmy's fallen in the chimney and needs rescuing.

Or your dog is trying to protect you from magpies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

hmmm silent whistle might be a good idea. Might give that a try. Where can you buy them? Im not a fan of those anti-barking collars.

Agree wholeheartedly re no to the collars.

I got mine online; google? It was about E6 .

Wondering if your dog is seeking walks when you go outside? That would fit the pattern. Gets all excited! Any chance of more walks? Mine used to go ballistic at a hint of a walk . There is always a reason for these things.
    Or leave him inside when it is not a walk time?
    hmmm silent whistle might be a good idea. Might give that a try. Where can you buy them? Im not a fan of those anti-barking collars.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Agree wholeheartedly re no to the collars.

I got mine online; google? It was about E6 .

Wondering if your dog is seeking walks when you go outside? That would fit the pattern. Gets all excited! Any chance of more walks? Mine used to go ballistic at a hint of a walk . There is always a reason for these things.
    Or leave him inside when it is not a walk time?

yeah good point. the good thing is that someone is always home so it's not often she's on her own outside. we do give her a good few walks. ill try the whistle and failing that, ill buy a set of ear plugs!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Do you play with your dog when out in the garden? Try to make it exciting to be in your company. Try treats and not threats to reduce the barking. Make them realise that a couple of barks is enough to get your attention and some time with you and maybe a treat.

If your dog is engaged with you and learns this behaviour through repetition and reinforcement then they will reduce the barking dramatically. Just standing there wondering won't change a thing.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Do you play with your dog when out in the garden? Try to make it exciting to be in your company. Try treats and not threats to reduce the barking. Make them realise that a couple of barks is enough to get your attention and some time with you and maybe a treat.

If your dog is engaged with you and learns this behaviour through repetition and reinforcement then they will reduce the barking dramatically. Just standing there wondering won't change a thing.

Good idea! Nope, dont really play with pooch in the garden but will give that a try and see it goes, thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement