Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf over Christmas Break

Options
  • 24-12-2019 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I am interested in playing some new courses over the Christmas break. I am based in Armagh and would be willing to travel around 2 hours. I played Seapoint the other day and found it in excellent condition. Thinking of playin Portmarnock Links course next week in their open. Had looked at playing Portstewart but they’re using mats on the fairways which I have no interest in.
    Any recommendations on courses that are in good condition and not using mats on fairways etc? Corballis is on the list as well. Baltray are apparently using mats as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    I am interested in playing some new courses over the Christmas break. I am based in Armagh and would be willing to travel around 2 hours. I played Seapoint the other day and found it in excellent condition. Thinking of playin Portmarnock Links course next week in their open. Had looked at playing Portstewart but they’re using mats on the fairways which I have no interest in.
    Any recommendations on courses that are in good condition and not using mats on fairways etc? Corballis is on the list as well. Baltray are apparently using mats as well.

Portmarnock Links booked out this Saturday (at least it was when I rang :( ) but might be a late dropout or two.

Not many links options available south of the border otherwise, the European Club excepted (although an 80e entry fee to their open this weekend might put many off). They dont use mats in their defence, but you can expect the odd mudball from my experience, especially around the 5th hole.

Given that the east coast has a relatively mild and dry fri to monday forecast, you do have a few options to play some good courses in competition. The K Club, Kileen Castle and Mt Juliet all have opens on over the weekend. They certainly wont be bone dry but nice to play em with a meaningful scorecard in your hand.
    Best option might be Carton House Open on Friday; never been thoroughly blown away by its condition in winter time but its been a while at this stage. Its also a counting competition and I know theyve upgraded their drainage system in the last year or two. Might be a push to get there in 2 hrs but if thats doable, that might be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Braved Ballybunion today, course is in excellent condition and the golf wasn't too bad either. Round number 2 for 2019, not a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Have you tried Greenore or RCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Portmarnock Links booked out this Saturday (at least it was when I rang :( ) but might be a late dropout or two.

Not many links options available south of the border otherwise, the European Club excepted (although an 80e entry fee to their open this weekend might put many off). They dont use mats in their defence, but you can expect the odd mudball from my experience, especially around the 5th hole.

Given that the east coast has a relatively mild and dry fri to monday forecast, you do have a few options to play some good courses in competition. The K Club, Kileen Castle and Mt Juliet all have opens on over the weekend. They certainly wont be bone dry but nice to play em with a meaningful scorecard in your hand.
    Best option might be Carton House Open on Friday; never been thoroughly blown away by its condition in winter time but its been a while at this stage. Its also a counting competition and I know theyve upgraded their drainage system in the last year or two. Might be a push to get there in 2 hrs but if thats doable, that might be your best bet.

Played The Monty on Monday and have to say it was in brilliant condition,only soft spot I came across was right of2nd fairway

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Yeah I have played both. RCD is closed to the public until the 6th apparently. Geeenore will be wet but a cracking course in the drier weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Corballis will be in good shape also
    Playing there Sunday and might try and sneak in 12 holes on my own on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Played Corballis just before Christmas and it was in great condition. Greens were excellent and fairways very good

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Slight hijack..... Playing Carne Monday ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Slight hijack..... Playing Carne Monday ðŸ˜
    One of the best courses in my opinion. hope you get good weather

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

RCD are up their own h**e. They close both courses to visitors every year at this time to keep the peasants out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Down9194 wrote: »
    RCD are up their own h**e. They close both courses to visitors every year at this time to keep the peasants out

This peasant was on it yesterday albeit with a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Down9194 wrote: »

Imagine a members club looking after members?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

dar_cool wrote: »
    Played Corballis just before Christmas and it was in great condition. Greens were excellent and fairways very good

Played corballis yesterday evening. Was lovely. Wet around the 14th/15th green, but everywhere else was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Laytown Bettystown? Using mats though. Im surprised Seapoint isn't using them, although it's mostly parkland/faux links anyhow. Baltray bring them in early regardless of growth, not sure if any decent links that doesn't use them. Be a damp parkland you need, although by your post it sounds like links you're after?

Doesn't look too windy or wet this week, so how about Concra Wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Played the Valley course in Portrush today. Only £25 and it was in brilliant condition. Normal playing conditions and greens were very good. Tempted to go back this Friday again!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Played all 27 in Carne today. Forward tees and placing. 39 off 15.
    The new 9 are a roller-coaster. Need to play them about 10 times to realize how to play them right. Get up there if ye can. Best 25euro spent.

Advertisement