Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundbars, are they worth it?

• 25-12-2019 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I've never owned a soundbar but am wondering if they are worth it? I understand the marketing concept but how does it translate to reality?

Do they really improve the sound over the TV speakers (in this case a 55inch Samsung UHD Smart TV)?

I'm considering one because no matter what I do to change the sounds settings on my TV, many movies and TV shows have muted voices, even on 'Clear voice'.

Will a soundbar improve that it just make things louder?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Really depends on what soundbar you choose, inevitably better quality ones cost more. Suggest you ask Richersounds on their Boards forum for advice, they have them listed on their website, soon get an idea of what’s available in your budget. Can't offer a recommendation myself, have never owned one.

Cheers,

Ritz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What's your budget?
    As suggested above^
    Have a look on richer sounds at a Yamaha YSP2700,
    Apparently a very good soundbar.
    I am debating one myself or a full 5.1 system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I think his question is 'Will a soundbar make muted voices sound clearer?'

I don't know but if the answer was yes I'd get one myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I got a Yamaha Soundbar for my 52in LG Plasma as the speakers on it were Less than Good. Never looked back.
    I don't spend enough time watching TV or movies to bother with 5.1 or surround, but the Soundbar is fantastic.
    If you want a home cinema, go with wireless 5.1 or something similar. If you just want to hear whats going on with a good sound quality while you kick back and have some beer and popcorn, save yourself the $$$ and get a Yamaha soundbar.

I bought a Sonos soundbar on black Friday, predominantly because the iptv setup I had was doing my head in with the whispering followed by crazy loud explosions. It has been so good, that I actually forget what it was like beforehand. It is sooooo much better now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I got a Yamaha Soundbar for my 52in LG Plasma as the speakers on it were Less than Good. Never looked back.
    I don't spend enough time watching TV or movies to bother with 5.1 or surround, but the Soundbar is fantastic.
    If you want a home cinema, go with wireless 5.1 or something similar. If you just want to hear whats going on with a good sound quality while you kick back and have some beer and popcorn, save yourself the $$$ and get a Yamaha soundbar.

Which model did you buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I've never owned a soundbar but am wondering if they are worth it? I understand the marketing concept but how does it translate to reality?

Do they really improve the sound over the TV speakers (in this case a 55inch Samsung UHD Smart TV)?

I'm considering one because no matter what I do to change the sounds settings on my TV, many movies and TV shows have muted voices, even on 'Clear voice'.

Will a soundbar improve that it just make things louder?

As long as its a half decent soundbar it'll definitely improve clarity.I've a Samsung TV and soundbar and you notice the difference when the soundbar doesn't turn on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I think his question is 'Will a soundbar make muted voices sound clearer?'

I don't know but if the answer was yes I'd get one myself

I'm tired of playing volume tennis with the tv. Can't make out a word people are saying, but the sound effects are way too loud. Does my head in.

Advertisement