Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrambler bikes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Tippsman wrote: »
    I've my reasons, as an organisation, I've nothing against the good guards.

Are you a member of the organisation, just so we know where everyone coming from.

Your ma :)

Thought as much.

I am indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Trilla90

And here’s the aftermath of 2 cars trying to avoid a quad in what looks like Ballymun

https://twitter.com/jim_eganj/status/1209915469261627398?s=21

I encountered a little scumbag on a quad bike coming towards my car on that road earlier that day (Christmas Day). He was in the opposite lane speeding down the road towards the metro hotel coming from poppintree. I had to slow right down to avoid him and he couldn't have been more than 13 years old, had about 3 acquaintances watching on from the path egging him on, not surprised to hear there was a crash soon after.

Saw some of the wreckage the following day, can only hope the little c*** was caught by someone or the quad was wrecked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

And here’s the aftermath of 2 cars trying to avoid a quad in what looks like Ballymun

https://twitter.com/jim_eganj/status/1209915469261627398?s=21

Are you sure that's from this year?
    Looks like one I saw at least a year ago if not longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Witcher wrote: »
    'Repore'....Christ :pac:

Have a read here chief;

https://kfmradio.com/news/13122019-1229/81-people-satisfied-service-provided-garda-siochana

Absolute fantasyland stuff...completely detached from the reality of what the Gardai experience day to day...you'd be lucky to find a first aid kit or fire extinguisher in the back of a patrol car and you want drones :pac:

Okay ,I wasn't expecting to randomly find a drone in the boot, for a start you'd need an operator with a level of training ..
    And just because there may not be a first aid kit or fire extinguisher in the boot doesn't mean that it shouldn't be there..
    Some of the small hand launched airplane style drones have endurance of several hours and while not cheap to buy , the operating cost is low ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Witcher wrote: »
    'Repore'....Christ :pac:

Have a read here chief;

https://kfmradio.com/news/13122019-1229/81-people-satisfied-service-provided-garda-siochana

Absolute fantasyland stuff...completely detached from the reality of what the Gardai experience day to day...you'd be lucky to find a first aid kit or fire extinguisher in the back of a patrol car and you want drones :pac:

Okay ,I wasn't expecting to randomly find a drone in the boot, for a start you'd need an operator with a level of training ..
    And just because there may not be a first aid kit or fire extinguisher in the boot doesn't mean that it shouldn't be there..
    Some of the small hand launched airplane style drones have endurance of several hours and while not cheap to buy , the operating cost is low ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Markcheese wrote: »

Fantasy land.

Fan

Tasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Irish Times:

Garda investigate video of child on scrambler bike hitting lamp post

Also mentioned, pregnant woman being hit by a scrambler in Summerhill, playing pitches in Drimnagh being destroyed on Christmas night and Quad involved in a two car crash in Ballymun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

AulWan wrote: »
    Irish Times:

Also mentioned, pregnant woman being hit by a scrambler in Summerhill, playing pitches in Drimnagh being destroyed on Christmas night and Quad involved in a two car crash in Ballymun.

large-145584-still-game.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's funny in this country how penal fines can be brought in at the drop of a hat for some stuff and others which actually need it simply are not.

Take for example feeding a seal, you can be fined up to €5000 :rolleyes:...
    20604320_1388254747954293_6739629170965163567_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=57gwMA0s-_0AQkYJucvlymZ5Sh8paVAG8nkqBjqiRPyhw3dUKIjj0HppA&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=19bc783d54d146be48004ab6fbbfa2bd&oe=5EB27FA1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Tippsman

Irish Times:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/video-shows-shocking-aftermath-christmas-17474751

The ballymun one was wrong,

https://mobile.twitter.com/NeilThePaddy/status/1209951423229808641

The ballymun one was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The playing pitches being savaged makes me pretty angry I’m going to set up wire traps, around the laneways that’ll stop the chunts dead in their tracks. Slice their f**cking heads off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you sure that's from this year?
    Looks like one I saw at least a year ago if not longer.

It was posted on Christmas Day, and as can be seen in the above posts, the Garda are investigating it...

Edit: saying now a quad wasn’t involved, just some motorsport enthusiasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Surely if the whingers won’t allow the Gardai to ram them, then surely beanbag guns, which I’ve seen the cops in Amsterdam use, could take them down if they’re flying around in fields.

Surely if the whingers won’t allow the Gardai to ram them, then surely beanbag guns, which I’ve seen the cops in Amsterdam use, could take them down if they’re flying around in fields.

You can’t be shooting bean bags at Warren/Jayson/Kayden while he’s not wearing a crash helmet..... can you imagine the payouts to the poor little lads for being knocked off their Santa presents by a law enforcement officer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Irish Times:

Whats there to investigate? They reckon the lamp post could be to blame?

Judge rules in favour of the family...

Lamp post 100% at fault.

€340,000 awarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Judge rules in favour of the family...

Lamp post 100% at fault.

€340,000 awarded.

Evidence..
    [HTTP]

Do you think they may investigate the identity of the man in the video?

Although a policy of arresting every topless man in shorts this time of year would be the superior approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

listermint wrote: »
    Fantasy land.

Fan

Tasy

So you take issue with a small drone in the boot of a squad car ,(I admit it's unlikely,)
    But don't comment on suggestions of ramming scramblers ,razor wire ,shooting with bean bags ...

Hhhhhmmmmm

Drones are real man ,they're out there ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

While we are on the subject of drones

Screenshot-20191228-144817.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

That's quality, although the douchebag parents will probably see it as a badge of honor that a celebrity has commented on a video of their little angle.

Markcheese wrote: »
    So you take issue with a small drone in the boot of a squad car ,(I admit it's unlikely,)
    But don't comment on suggestions of ramming scramblers ,razor wire ,shooting with bean bags ...

Hhhhhmmmmm

Drones are real man ,they're out there ...

Ramming and bean bag guns are used by other police forces.

Ramming and bean bag guns are used by other police forces.

On kids?
    What countries?

tuxy wrote: »
    On kids?
    What countries?

On feral teenagers, yes. In the U.K. police use ramming to take down people on scramblers and mopeds. In Amsterdam I’ve seen the police use bean bag guns on gangs of teenagers. They leave some bruise!

On feral teenagers, yes. In the U.K. police use ramming to take down people on scramblers and mopeds.

So you mean the moped gangs that the police in the UK have spend years and a large amount of money on combating and not kids joy riding?
    Two very different situations.
    And have you seen the police in the Netherlands use bean bags on scramblers?
    I'd love a video on that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

On feral teenagers, yes. In the U.K. police use ramming to take down people on scramblers and mopeds. In Amsterdam I’ve seen the police use bean bag guns on gangs of teenagers. They leave some bruise!

They go round with a sign on their back

'Feral teenager please shoot me'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

buying these machines for children in an urban environment is a profoundly antisocial act. if you do so you are showing contempt for your community, both the people and the environs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

buying these machines for children in an urban environment is a profoundly antisocial act. if you do so you are showing contempt for your community, both the people and the environs.

Absolutely blown away by the people bending over backwards to excuse it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Load of stolen bikes been ridden around Dublin city today....

Load of stolen bikes been ridden around Dublin city today....

What makes you think they were stolen? Genuinely asking.

I would say a lot of them are bought legit. Prices are quite low these days for off road bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The estates on the south side of Limerick City have been reverberating to a veritable orchestra of scrambler engines over the last 20 minutes.

I'm from Carew Park and was there for Christmas. Scramblers were going up and down the road for the day.

Tzardine wrote: »

I would say a lot of them are bought legit. Prices are quite low these days for off road bikes.

Road bikes with reg plate removed, teens riding without helmets but hoods up.

Riding through red lights, up on footpaths and zig zagging in and out of traffic, see it a lot actually.

Mopeds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

You forgot law and order and common sense in that list.

The fact that these bikes are an annoyance on the locality is part of the attraction for these morons.
    A way of sticking two fingers up at all and sundry and setting up an image of yourself as a hard man on the estate not to be messed with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Absolutely blown away by the people bending over backwards to excuse it too.

I haven't seen one post excusing riding around illegally on a scrambler.

The parents should be taken out of their homes and given a good few slaps.

They need to hit them and put a stop to all this rubbish.

These kids are able to do what they like...

So what is the advice for dealing with them?

Gardai have been contacted about a scrambler in my area by myself and neighbours several times and nothing seems to be getting done about it.

Council have no interest.

Is it just a vigilante group to the house to confiscate the bike and give the family a hiding? That's all that has been proposed to me so far and it seems like a step in the wrong direction (despite my hatred for the bikes).

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Tzardine wrote: »

Could be. Dunno what Tzardine seen, I just about seen two lads dressed black on a black 125 Honda bike about 8 tonight. No lights on front or rear, I assumed it was stolen as the lights where off or they could have just bought it like that.

Moving accident. Are youngsters really that brain-dead these days, seems to be in fashion, dress in black, don't bother with lights, either cycle around the place or hop on a bike.

So what is the advice for dealing with them?

Gardai have been contacted about a scrambler in my area by myself and neighbours several times and nothing seems to be getting done about it.

Council have no interest.

Is it just a vigilante group to the house to confiscate the bike and give the family a hiding? That's all that has been proposed to me so far and it seems like a step in the wrong direction (despite my hatred for the bikes).

Very simple really, the community needs to come together and all out on the streets.

The Gardai need to be hounded and education is key.

The usual rubbish spouted is the kids have nothing else to be doing....

Video evidence and to the door stuff so they can't say they can't do anything.

• Advertisement

Very simple really, the community needs to come together and all out on the streets.

Doesn't seem to work in real life, unfortunately. Too many people are afraid of making themselves targets. In areas like this you have scumbags acting with impunity as the Gardai and Council don't act on things when they're reported.

As a result, decent people don't feel like the Gardai or Council/Govt bodies are there to help them, so they feel on their own. They don't want to be seen to be making noise against the scummers incase they get targeted for doing so. Which makes it nearly impossible to get a grouping of people together.
    The Gardai need to be hounded and education is key.

Gardai are called routinely and either don't show up, or do a circle around and then go to their next call. Never really actually act on anything. Have discussed this with local councillors, have chatted with the local garda sergeants etc. and everyone is full of 'I'll sort that out' but then immediately revert back to not actually doing anything.

Ideal time to hound local TD
    Look at London, police did nothing, now they have no choice as bike gangs and crime took over.

Look at London, police did nothing, now they have no choice as bike gangs and crime took over.

Have been down the TD road, too. Again, calls out to house, nods and agrees. "Something must be done".

Disappears only to be heard of again when you follow up and they claim to be still working on it, or when they are looking for a few votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Don't the police push them off the bikes when in transient?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Don't the police push them off the bikes when in transient?

Police in the UK have started getting heavy handed because the issue has gotten out of hand and way beyond their control.

The same has happened here, albeit the scumbags aren't as bad as the UK ones (they're generally not thieving, but just being a nuisance) so the Gardai here are happy to trot out the 'civil matter' and 'sure what can we do' lines to get people that complain to go away and leave them alone.

Vote SF

Maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Have been down the TD road, too. Again, calls out to house, nods and agrees. "Something must be done".

Disappears only to be heard of again when you follow up and they claim to be still working on it, or when they are looking for a few votes.

What TD? Try Adams and Munster. I'm from Drogheda as I think you are, luckily I don't have this problem but I dare say if it was happening on the Dublin road the gardai might so something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

TD's all say the same thing "we're trying to push legislation through the dail" it's been 2 years now and nothing.

The way things are going in this country with the legal justice system

I'm starting to think we'd be better off with a third -way like SF and a private army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wilfuler. wrote: »
    The way things are going in this country with the legal justice system

I'm starting to think we'd be better off with a third -way like SF and a private army

Yes because ‘SF’ and their ‘private army’ really worked a treat in this state didn’t it... “wait, you don’t agree with our position on xxxxx, well, you might be getting a little visit, followed by a serious assault or if you are UNlucky, shot, thanks”.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement