Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrambler bikes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

Between judiciary, gardai, councils, welfare etc.

Nothing works in the manner it should here

No systems in place.for dealing with these people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭gabe1977

Not every young fella that acts the maggot on a scrambler is necessarily a scumbag as portrayed in the majority of posts.

I can guarantee you if the majority of us as young lads were handed the keys to a scrambler I doubt we'd have said no to a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You dont even know they are on the dole. Just because the video was recorded beside a Mercedes earlier, doesnt mean its theirs. You just seem to want some sick demented joy in taking money from them becuase you dont think they are using it properly. No one wants to see kids ripping around communities in them things, but fining them is not going to rectify that.

I'll be generous and give you a 0.05% chance that that father with his shirt off on Christmas morning putting his son on a scrambler is not on the dole.

I will grant you, as one of the apologists and, by extension, enablers of this sort of behaviour that statistical possibility.

There is a fractional chance you are correct in your effort to divert attention from the real problem that facilitates this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'll be generous and give you a 0.05% chance that that father with his shirt off on Christmas morning putting his son on a scrambler is not on the dole.

I will grant you, as one of the apologists and, by extension, enablers of this sort of behaviour that statistical possibility.

There is a fractional chance you are correct in your effort to divert attention from the real problem that facilitates this.

I'm not enabling sh!t, I just dont go around proclaiming stuff I dont know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

gabe1977 wrote: »
    Not every young fella that acts the maggot on a scrambler is necessarily a scumbag as portrayed in the majority of posts.

I can guarantee you if the majority of us as young lads were handed the keys to a scrambler I doubt we'd have said no to a spin.

I would say 100% of parents that give their child a scrambler on Christmas morning are scumbags tho.

You caused the accident

Can only go on probabilities. I'll go with, by far, the most likely.

Whether they are even on the dole or not I hope TUSLA gets involved with that.

That is child abuse.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I would say 100% of parents that give their child a scrambler on Christmas morning are scumbags tho.

No one is actually calling the kids scumbags from what I see. It's rightly aimed at the so-called parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

gabe1977 wrote: »

As "young lads", we're not old enough to make a decision on whether to access a scrambler or not. Kids don't see the harm or dangers, how can they? They are kids.

This is where the parents are responsible, or irresponsible in this case, and should be making better decisions for their kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Can only go on probabilities. I'll go with, by far, the most likely.

Whether they are even on the dole or not I hope TULSA gets involved with that.

That is child abuse.

I never condoned it.

Probabilities is just a bullsh!t way of covering yourself now for what you said earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

spurious wrote: »
    Agreed. Our SW system is arseways.
    Genuine people who take jobs in an effort to come off the social welfare should only then be given things like medical cards/fuel allowance/HAP - only when they themselves make an effort.

It should not be the case that it is more lucrative to lie around all day doing nothing.

Child benefit should be linked to attendance at school/hospital appointments etc..
    If these people can't/won't parent properly, there have to be incentives to get them to attempt to do so.

We have a brilliant SW system......

If you don't want to work

I never condoned it.

Probabilities is just a bullsh!t way of covering yourself now for what you said earlier.

I'm sorry. Yes, you are right. On another viewing i'm sure that father is a hard working, upstanding member of the community.

We shouldn't judge, you are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I'd happily judge. That's despicable behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Hilarious to see the hand wringers bend over backwards to explain this scummy behaviour, but ultimately they're the ones who will be vindicated,as there is zero political will (no scamblers flying up and down in the leafy areas where our elected officials live) or effort by the gardai to tackle this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I just seen that video there of the quad bike child. Surely that should be enough to have the big lad charged with attempted murder. Putting the child on the quad and aiming him at a lamppost with the throttle in his hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

mloc123 wrote: »

Have to call BS on that, it's not that simple, I'd buy my youngest lad a bike for Christmas (if I could afford it), he's a junior academy racer who's already competed in a couple of races on rented bikes and wants a bike more than anything, there'd be no footpaths or roads for him, just a track. Does that make me a scumbag???

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

bladespin wrote: »
    Have to call BS on that, it's not that simple, I'd buy my youngest lad a bike for Christmas (if I could afford it), he's a junior academy racer who's already competed in a couple of races on rented bikes and wants a bike more than anything, there'd be no footpaths or roads for him, just a track. Does that make me a scumbag???

100% of people who give children bikes and let them out on to a street on Christmas morning are scumbags.
    But I think you know that's what he meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Hilarious to see the hand wringers bend over backwards to explain this scummy behaviour, but ultimately they're the ones who will be vindicated,as there is zero political will (no scamblers flying up and down in the leafy areas where our elected officials live) or effort by the gardai to tackle this problem.

Who’s condoning it?

BDI wrote: »
    I just seen that video there of the quad bike child. Surely that should be enough to have the big lad charged with attempted murder. Putting the child on the quad and aiming him at a lamppost with the throttle in his hand.

Council to blame fitting the lampost in his line of sight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Esse85 wrote: »
    As "young lads", we're not old enough to make a decision on whether to access a scrambler or not. Kids don't see the harm or dangers, how can they? They are kids.

Lamppost Lad had a fcuking soother in his mouth. A bloody toddler basically. Absolutely scummy unfit vermin putting him on that motorbike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Wilfuler. wrote: »
    Council to blame fitting the lampost in his line of sight

Cracker....

emo72 wrote: »
    100% of people who give children bikes and let them out on to a street on Christmas morning are scumbags.
    Totally agree.
    emo72 wrote: »
    But I think you know that's what he meant.

They were very clear on what they meant, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

Just saw that video of the little lad, that was painful to watch .. looks to be a brand new pw50, a great little bike which me and my brother started off on. there is a throttle restriction on them and you can tie a cord to the subframe and follow them to get a young fella started off.. so there was no excuse, no helmet either what was the da thinking for god sake! Take him to a field or a quiet beach and get him into riding, teach him properly! Use the cord and get him stop on command over and over and over. I've been around bikes all my life and have seen countless newbies jump on bikes young and old, get told how to click into gear and use clutch then whiskey throttle straight into a bush or fence

There is a right way to teach a child how to ride/respect a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Omackeral wrote: »
    Lamppost Lad had a fcuking soother in his mouth. A bloody toddler basically. Absolutely scummy unfit vermin putting him on that motorbike.

He is past toddler age, the fact that he still has a soother at his age is just another example of irresponsible parenting. He'll probably have massive overbite as a result. Stick a soother in his mouth, send him into a lamp post at full throttle and film the whole thing to share for laughs. What a gem of a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

FAMLEE wrote: »
    Just saw that video of the little lad, that was painful to watch .. looks to be a brand new pw50, a great little bike which me and my brother started off on. there is a throttle restriction on them and you can tie a cord to the subframe and follow them to get a young fella started off.. so there was no excuse, no helmet either what was the da thinking for god sake! Take him to a field or a quiet beach and get him into riding, teach him properly! Use the cord and get him stop on command over and over and over. I've been around bikes all my life and have seen countless newbies jump on bikes young and old, get told how to click into gear and use clutch then whiskey throttle straight into a bush or fence

There is a right way to teach a child how to ride/respect a bike.

The young lad still had a soother in his mouth for christ's sake!
    He was in no way old enough to be riding any sort of motorbike, even if it had a throttle restriction etc.

• Advertisement

Could have been killed

Where exactly were the parents sending him on the bike if he missed the lampost or had they even thought that through

Stewball wrote: »
    The young lad still had a soother in his mouth for christ's sake!
    He was in no way old enough to be riding any sort of motorbike, even if it had a throttle restriction etc.

I strongly disagree, yes he has a soother in his mouth but he was stood on his own two legs & seemed to be able to balance the bike. There is no reason why he shouldn't be well able to operate the bike with the right gear, training & supervision! The Yamaha PW50 is targeted specifically for kids of his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wilfuler. wrote: »
    Could have been killed

Where exactly were the parents sending him on the bike if he missed the lampost or had they even thought that through

Around the block and back again obviously..

lawred2 wrote: »
    Around the block and back again obviously..

Nah I think he was getting the ferry to Holyhead

I strongly disagree, yes he has a soother in his mouth but he was stood on his own two legs & seemed to be able to balance the bike. There is no reason why he shouldn't be well able to operate the bike with the right gear, training & supervision! The Yamaha PW50 is targeted specifically for kids of his age.

Quick Google says around ten years of age.

That child is about five I'd expect.

Only a complete dolt would think a 2 stroke motorbike was fit for a five year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Only a complete dolt would think a 2 stroke motorbike was fit for a five year old.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. It would seriously struggle
    to move withh a 10 year old on it FFS, Google pw50 age range.. from Yamaha themselves! :

The "PW50" is designed as an entry-level model for children ages 3~6 or so (weight under 25 kg) and offers features including (1) automatic engine, (2) lightweight body, (3) shaft drive and (4) the same type of right-left hand brakes as a bicycle.Jun

3 years of age

Jesus Christ

No idea what I was reading then but that sounds mental to me.

Guess I'm a dolt then, Get up to your local track on a Sunday & watch the 10year olds flying high on the 65's. You'll be in for a real shock!

strandroad wrote: »
    He is past toddler age, the fact that he still has a soother at his age is just another example of irresponsible parenting. He'll probably have massive overbite as a result. Stick a soother in his mouth, send him into a lamp post at full throttle and film the whole thing to share for laughs. What a gem of a family.

Poor JaydenKaydenBrayden doesn't stand a chance.

Kids that age are still using stabilisers on their bicycles.

"He can stand on his own two feet". Sure he can sit can't he?! Stick him in an 18 wheeler rig!

Guess I'm a dolt then, Get up to your local track on a Sunday & watch the 10year olds flying high on the 65's. You'll be in for a real shock!

10 years old is a world away from this child in the lamppost video though tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I hope this straightens things out a bit.
    https://youtu.be/VVWJkT-bW-M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

pablo128 wrote: »
    I hope this straightens things out a bit.
    https://youtu.be/VVWJkT-bW-M

That kid is a world away from the child on the scrambler

Poor JaydenKaydenBrayden doesn't stand a chance.

No and it's very sad. I've worked with some deprived kids, only a little bit but it breaks me to know how innocent, cheerful and helpful they are up until the age of maybe 11 when they really start absorbing the f*cked up world their families offer them and they warp to cope.

• Advertisement

Kids that age are still using stabilisers on their bicycles.

"He can stand on his own two feet". Sure he can sit can't he?! Stick him in an 18 wheeler rig!

Yes they are but a child can use stabilisers on a bike at any age! Its not the child's fault they will learn to balance the bike progressively with practice. If a child can use a wooden balance bike around the house, They can learn to ride a PW50!

I don't think he'd reach the pedals in an 18 wheeler? Or even be able to count through all 14 gears.. Lol

Some Kids that age are still using stabilisers on their bicycles.

Some kids learn early, I’ve seen 6 & 7yr olds leave grown ups in their dust. Our lad had his first mini moto race at 7, and finished second :)

He stopped using stabilisers at 4.

That said he was thought properly, even had him do an academy before he sat on a minibike, where they teach them from scratch, that’s what those parents SHOULD have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I can't believe any motorcycle company makes bikes for 3 year olds, but seeing as they do, these machines should not be available for sale to the general public where any muppet can put a young child onto a bike that could potentially kill them.

And there is no question that child yesterday could have been killed.

They should be available for sale to off-road clubs only, where the children of enthusiasts can pay to use them and be taught to ride in a controlled setting by someone qualified to teach them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

eviltwin wrote: »
    That kid is a world away from the child on the scrambler

He's around the same age. People were arguing saying he's too young to be on the bike. He isn't, that bike he's on is for his age group.

Obviously the surroundings are completely unsuitable, and are the training methods. But he's not too young for the actual bike itself.

Most of the top motorcycle racers were racing at his age.

strandroad wrote: »
    No and it's very sad. I've worked with some deprived kids

Mad how this is considered deprived. A thousand euro scrambler or whatever it costs. They're deprived alright but not in the sense that we usually think of. They're deprived of sensible parents who'll parent.

Also, whoever sent that video out is a bit of scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

It is embarrassing that people organise motorbike races for children under the age of 10 and that some toddlers are beginning and "academy" at 4 years of age.

What happened to, you know, football and riding a bicycle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mad how this is considered deprived. A thousand euro scrambler or whatever it costs. They're deprived alright but not in the sense that we usually think of. They're deprived of sensible parents who'll parent.

Parental neglect is deprevation

Yes they are but a child can use stabilisers on a bike at any age! Its not the child's fault they will learn to balance the bike progressively with practice. If a child can use a wooden balance bike around the house, They can learn to ride a PW50!
    l

If the parents are willing to teach him properly and legitimately and with patience and not just stick him on a badly lit public street with no protection then yeah you're actually right.

You preciously said "a field or a quiet beach" though. Can't just rip around wherever you want either.

In all probability it was a family member. Perhaps his mother. Sheer stupidity too but here's hoping that they will see some consequences due to that.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Parental neglect is deprevation

Yeah I said that literally in the very post you quoted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement