Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrambler bikes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

strandroad wrote: »
    In all probability it was a family member. Perhaps his mother. Sheer stupidity too but here's hoping that they will see some consequences due to that.

It's good that it's out as it shines a light on the sh1tty behaviour but I'd be raging if I knew the person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

donvito99 wrote: »
    It is embarrassing that people organise motorbike races for children under the age of 10 and that some toddlers are beginning and "academy" at 4 years of age.

What happened to, you know, football and riding a bicycle...

It’s how champions are made but not just for that, there will always be kids that like something different, apart from the boring stuff like football, I have 2 boys, one is football crazy, both gaa and soccer, it’s his life really, my other has no time for it despite all the encouragement we could give, he likes cars and bikes, that’s it, his dad is the same, I haven’t influenced him but he chose that as his passion so I help him in any way I can, I’m not embarrassed by that in any way.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

strandroad wrote: »
    In all probability it was a family member. Perhaps his mother. Sheer stupidity too but here's hoping that they will see some consequences due to that.

And once it goes in to the public domain all control of it is lost. I suppose once the kid is ok they could claim £250 sending it on to You've Been Framed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

Omackeral wrote: »
    If the parents are willing to teach him properly and legitimately and with patience and not just stick him on a badly lit public street with no protection then yeah you're actually right.

You preciously said "a field or a quiet beach" though. Can't just rip around wherever you want either.

Yeah it's not the little lads fault, neither is it the bikes fault nor the manufacturer. It's purely down to the parents ignorance & negligence for safety.

And yeah I agree with you there I suppose.. you can't just rip around wherever you want if you don't have land or a field with permission but a wide open space is necessary for learning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

guyfo wrote: »
    The fight against the Motorsport enthusiast continues.... Don't tar everyone with the same brush, plenty of responsible parents buying their kids bikes, or karts, to start them off in racing. It's no more dangerous than contact sports.

If they are using them in a housing estate then yes they should be punished, that is if it anything other than taking the bike for a quick first spin. Plenty of appropriate places to use them.

Bullshit, keep telling yourself those lies. When was the last time someone playing soccer or rugby left an innocent bystander in a vegetative state?

• Advertisement

FAMLEE wrote: »
    Yeah it's not the little lads fault, neither is it the bikes fault nor the manufacturer. It's purely down to the parents ignorance & negligence for safety.

So much this, no matter what you do for your children it’s down to the parents to Mach sure the child is in a position to enjoy the present safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Markcheese wrote: »
    Wouldn't it just be easier to just track the bikes with a drone ,and then seize them ....

No, how many bikes are there? Is there a Gardai drone unit?? If there isn’t, who flies the drones to track them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

eviltwin wrote: »
    That kid is a world Parent away from the child on the scrambler

Sad video clip,for a lot of reasons. :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Bullshit, keep telling yourself those lies. When was the last time someone playing soccer or rugby left an innocent bystander in a vegetative state?

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time a motorsport event left an innocent bystander in a vegetative state?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

bladespin wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, when was the last time a motorsport event left an innocent bystander in a vegetative state?

Does this count as a "motorsport event"?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/the-motorbike-ran-over-my-husband-and-crushed-his-face-1.3624025

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Does this count as a "motorsport event"?

It does in its hole!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Bladespin, you're starting to sound like you actually approve of what the parents of this toddler did.

AulWan wrote: »
    Bladespin, you're starting to sound like you actually approve of what the parents of this toddler did.

That's what you picked up from his posts?

Has nothing at all to do with motorsports.

Seriously, have you even read my posts at all? These slime only damage a topic I’m passionate about, motorcycles, bikes will get the blame as usual, while personal responsibility takes a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Omackeral wrote: »
    Also, whoever sent that video out is a bit of scumbag.

I don't know what their intention was in sharing the clip, but I actually think it will do some good service.

Many middle class Irish people will be so insulated from this sort of behaviour they wouldn't believe it unless they saw the video. I think it might help support a stronger reaction to neighborhood neglect, weak policing and terrible parenting. I won't hold my breath though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Seriously, have you even read my posts at all? These slime only damage a topic I’m passionate about, motorcycles, bikes will get the blame as usual, while personal responsibility takes a pass.

That is pretty much the opposite of the content of this entire thread really..

If you took the time to read it, you'll see countless posts lamenting the empty headed idiots that purchase these motorcycles for their children for use on public streets, estates and parks.

I don't think anyone whatever has an issue with organised Motorsports in organised settings..

lawred2 wrote: »

If you took the time to read it, you'll see countless posts lamenting the empty headed idiots that purchase these motorcycles for their children for use on public streets, estates and parks.

I don't think anyone whatever has an issue with organised Motorsports in organised settings..

Course they don't. He's just eager to tell us how much he loves motorsports in a thread about knackers, for some reason.

Bikes will always get the blame unfortunately bladespin, I remember hearing that RSA add on the radio over the last couple months here and there.. something along the lines of "if you love your child you will think twice about getting them a highly powered killing machine for Christmas these are not toys and can mame and seriously injure your child and others".. first time we heard it on the radio me & the Mrs were cracking up lol what a disgusting add to play nothing wrong at all with the sport of motocross! They should have took that advertisement with a completely different angle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Course they don't. He's just eager to tell us how much he loves motorsports in a thread about knackers, for some reason.

The thread is about scramblers. It is literally the title of the thread. The knacker thread is that way.
    >>>

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »
    The thread is about scramblers. It is literally the title of the thread. The knacker thread is that way.
    >>>

Its about knackers buying scramblers for children. Its not "literally" in the title but lets be honest, the vast majority are bought by adult scumbags for their mini scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The level of stupidity in this thread is staggering!

Not a single poster on this thread has condoned the illegal use of scramblers.
    Not a single poster on this thread has condoned parents who allow their kids to illegally use scramblers.

But still the idiots post idiotic posts.

Dry your eyes mate.

This being an example of the idiotic posting.
    One of many.
    Are people really this thick?

One of many.

You didn't get it, that's ok. You haven't grasped that no one gives a sh*t about buying scramblers for actual motorsports. That applies to 1% of kids who own these things. The 99% is, unsurprisingly, whats being discussed here. You and one other guy just came in preaching about motorsports for no f*cking reason.

Oh yes!

You didn't get it, that's ok. You haven't grasped that no one gives a sh*t about buying scramblers for actual motorsports. That applies to 1% of kids who own these things. The 99% is, unsurprisingly, whats being discussed here. You and one other guy just came in preaching about motorsports for no f*cking reason.

I've mentioned motorsports, have I?

lawred2 wrote: »

I have and if you had read it you would also see my posts agreeing with the lament and condemning such ridiculous behavior.

Kids on bikes is a good thing IMO, kids on bikes without a helmet or a clue how to ride the thing, at nignt, on a street, with no safety gear and a dolce of a parent in his boxers is not; simples.

The thread is about scrambler bikes, titled as such etc etc, but there are the usual posts generalizing parents who put their kids on bikes attacking bikes in general, that's why I posted.

One of many.

Yes, we have at least one poster who is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I have and if you had read it you would also see my posts agreeing with the lament and condemning such ridiculous behavior.

Kids on bikes is a good thing IMO, kids on bikes without a helmet or a clue how to ride the thing, at nignt, on a street, with no safety gear and a dolce of a parent in his boxers is not; simples.

The thread is about scrambler bikes, titled as such etc etc, but there are the usual posts generalizing parents who put their kids on bikes attacking bikes in general, that's why I posted.

You could list all of those 'usual posts'

I've mentioned motorsports, have I?

I'm sure its in there among the many uses of the word idiot, I'm just not engaged enough by you to want to check.

It's because of these c***s bikes get such a bad reputation, when its not the bikes fault! It damages the perception of the sport. with such horrible RSA campaigns like the one ran this year ,it makes me wonder when we have children in the future will they be able to enjoy motorcycling like we did as kids? or will the nanny state have banned the likes of little pw50's , 65's, 85's altogether... trail riding is considered a motorsport too, its unfortunate that these young fella's live in estates and terrorize everyone in their surroundings.. i get it

Yes, we have at least one poster who is.

Bit lousy to use his own post to tell him that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I've read enough of them to question it. I think your enthusiasm for motorsports could be clouding your judgement a little, if you think a child the age of the one on the video has any place on a motorbike. No one here is blaming scramblers. They're blaming the parents.

I personally can't understand any parent who would buy such a present for their child, or any who would put a child the age of the one in the video on a motorbike of any kind. Sorry, but I do not accept scramblers as being suitable for young children.

That doesn't make me anti-bike or anti-motorsport, when it is age appropriate.

I've read enough of them to question it. I think your enthusiasm for motorsports could be clouding your judgement a little, if you think a child the age of the one on the video has any place on a motorbike. No one here is blaming scramblers. They're blaming the parents.

I personally can't understand any parent who would buy such a present for their child, or any who would put a child the age of the one in the video on a motorbike of any kind. Sorry, but I do not accept scramblers as being suitable for young children.

It's your lack of understanding is the problem so.
    As you've admitted yourself.

• Advertisement

I've read enough of them to question it. I think your enthusiasm for motorsports could be clouding your judgement a little, if you think a child the age of the one on the video has any place on a motorbike.

I have already posted a video of a child the same age handling a dirt bike very well. All it takes is a suitable location, the right safety equipment and a competent adult to supervise and teach the child how to ride the machine. The problem in Ireland is the majority of kids are handed the thing and let off to find out everything themselves.

As I have already said, most top motorcycle racers would have been racing bikes at that age. It's not the kids or the bikes, it's the irresponsible parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Not a single poster on this thread has condoned the illegal use of scramblers.
    Not a single poster on this thread has condoned parents who allow their kids to illegally use scramblers.

But still the idiots post idiotic posts.

And yet here you are..... again.

Bit lousy to use his own post to tell him that though.

Sorry if you find it a bit confusing, but it was definitely your post that was being referred to.

How you associated a joyrider on a bike in a public park with motorsports is beyond me.

And that's it, you've admitted your just as ignorant as the scrote in his boxers in the video. You can't understand it & that's your own problem. You do not accept it but there is nothing to challenge, the PW50 (as in the video) is suitable for young children. FACT!

Sorry if you find it a bit confusing, but it was definitely your post that was being referred to.

How you associated a joyrider on a bike in a public park with motorsports is beyond me.

No sh*t Sherlock.

How you associate motorsports with the topic of this thread is beyond everyone else.

• Advertisement

No sh*t Sherlock.

How you associate motorsports with the topic of this thread is beyond everyone else.

I didn’t, I replied to another post that did though and you replied to that Sherlock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭bmc58

blade1 wrote: »
    It's your lack of understanding is the problem so.
    As you've admitted yourself.

Are you saying you have no problem with uninsured and totally inexperienced children driving around public roads at high speeds??My mind boggles at your logic.

bmc58 wrote: »
    Are you saying you have no problem with uninsured and totally inexperienced children driving around public roads at high speeds??My mind boggles at your logic.

Are you stupid or just making up stuff.
    Didn't say that once.
    At least stick to the facts.

No sh*t Sherlock.

Says the man who brought travellers into the thread. I don't think I've ever seen a traveller on a motorbike.

Says the man who brought travellers into the thread. I don't think I've ever seen a traveller on a motorbike.

I was filling my bike a the local fuel station and a traveller came up to me and asked me would I sell him my bike.
    I said I'd want 4k for it, thinking that would put him off.
    He then pulled bundle of 50s out of his pocket and counted out 4k :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I have already posted a video of a child the same age handling a dirt bike very well. All it takes is a suitable location, the right safety equipment and a competent adult to supervise and teach the child how to ride the machine. The problem in Ireland is the majority of kids are handed the thing and let off to find out everything themselves.

As I have already said, most top motorcycle racers would have been racing bikes at that age. It's not the kids or the bikes, it's the irresponsible parents.

There are more than a few ruining the fun for all.
    Based on that underage biking activities should be limited to a safe, controlled environment such as designated tracks.

Anything outside of that should face severe penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭bmc58

blade1 wrote: »
    Are you stupid or just making up stuff.
    Didn't say that once.
    At least stick to the facts.

Woah boy,less of the name calling,please.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    There are more than a few ruining the fun for all.
    Based on that underage biking activities should be limited to a safe, controlled environment such as designated tracks.

Anything outside of that should face severe penalties.

That's a no brainer to be fair. No one under the age of 16 can legally drive anything in a public place that's mechanically propelled.

The issue is catching them.

bmc58 wrote: »
    Woah boy,less of the name calling,please.

No you whoa.
    Again making up rubbish.
    I called you no name.
    I simply asked you a question.
    Did I hit a nerve?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The video has nearly 3.2million views...
    https://twitter.com/roskorfc/status/1209872034123190278

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement