Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrambler bikes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bladespin wrote: »
    Has nothing at all to do with motorsports.

So, like this thread till the "motorsport enthusiasts " arrived to let us know they were being persecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Yeah just looking across the various responses to the video, it's gone global big time. Expect over 10 million views across different platforms at the end of the weekend. Probably over 30 million into the first week of the new year.

Well done that auld fella. I hope the Guards and Tusla have already knocked. It needs to be dealt with severely and quickly.

An absolute embarrassment to lawless Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bmc58 wrote: »
    Are you saying you have no problem with uninsured and totally inexperienced children driving around public roads at high speeds??My mind boggles at your logic.

Why would you need to ask that??

The poster has made his views explicitly clear.
    Have you even read the thread?

My mind boggles at the stupidity in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭bmc58

blade1 wrote: »
    I was filling my bike a the local fuel station and a traveller came up to me and asked me would I sell him my bike.
    I said I'd want 4k for it, thinking that would put him off.
    He then pulled bundle of 50s out of his pocket and counted out 4k :eek:

Really??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

It's your lack of understanding is the problem so.
    As you've admitted yourself.

Yes, I freely admit I can't understand how any parent would even consider taking such a risk with their child's life, but it is what it is.

Different strokes for different folks. No pun intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

They should only be allowed on properly regulated sites.
    If theyre on the open road the Garda should have the same regard to them as the London met have towards moped criminals and run them off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭bmc58

No you whoa.
    Again making up rubbish.
    I called you no name.
    I simply asked you a question.
    Did I hit a nerve?:rolleyes:

My nerves are fine thank you.You seem to be the one in a bit of a tizzy and can't even remember your posts.Check your posts and see did you not call me stupid??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pablo128 wrote: »
    That's a no brainer to be fair. No one under the age of 16 can legally drive anything in a public place that's mechanically propelled.

The issue is catching them.

As I said before, ram them. If they get hurt it’s on them and their parents.,

I was filling my bike a the local fuel station and a traveller came up to me and asked me would I sell him my bike.
    I said I'd want 4k for it, thinking that would put him off.
    He then pulled bundle of 50s out of his pocket and counted out 4k :eek:

Was your bike on a trailer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

As I said before, ram them. If they get hurt it’s on them and their parents.,

I've seen Gardai ramming bikes before. Here's what happened last time I mentioned it on here.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108955790&postcount=42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

They should be confiscated and crushed. People are idiots.

And their bikes resold for parts, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

AulWan wrote: »
    I've read enough of them to question it. I think your enthusiasm for motorsports could be clouding your judgement a little, if you think a child the age of the one on the video has any place on a motorbike. No one here is blaming scramblers. They're blaming the parents.

I personally can't understand any parent who would buy such a present for their child, or any who would put a child the age of the one in the video on a motorbike of any kind. Sorry, but I do not accept scramblers as being suitable for young children.

That doesn't make me anti-bike or anti-motorsport, when it is age appropriate.

You shouldn't expect others to live their lives through your opinions. If a parent thinks their child is able to operate a machine designed for them, and they can do so in a safe manner that doesn't put them or others at risk that is none of your business.
    To paraphrase Guy Martin, if you don't like road racing, go mow your lawn and let us get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

prunudo wrote: »
    You shouldn't expect others to live their lives through your opinions. If a parent thinks their child is able to operate a machine designed for them, and they can do so in a safe manner that doesn't put them or others at risk that is none of your business.
    To paraphrase Guy Martin, if you don't like road racing, go mow your lawn and let us get on with it.

Most of the ones talked about in the thread aren't operated in a safe manner, but rather by dragged up toerags who terrorize motorists and pedestrians. And I'm never happier than when I see them hitting lampposts and walls. Natural selection at it's finest.

Rather them than some innocent person going about their business

How many professional motorcyclists die per year doing their job compared to footballers, rugby players etc??

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Most of the ones talked about in the thread aren't operated in a safe manner, but rather by dragged up toerags who terrorize motorists and pedestrians. And I'm never happier than when I see them hitting lampposts and walls. Natural selection at it's finest.

Rather them than some innocent person going about their business

Absolutely, but the poster I quoted doesn't think any child should be on a motorbike, even in controlled situations.
    Its a strange time we live in, on one hand we're all liberal and excepting of same sex marriage and giving women control of their bodies and yet here we have an example of someone telling others how to parent their kids through their own opinions.

• Advertisement

How many professional motorcyclists die per year doing their job compared to footballers, rugby players etc??

Go on, tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

A Lot more

Not many this year compared to 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Absolutely, but the poster I quoted doesn't think any child should be on a motorbike, even in controlled situations.
    Its a strange time we live in, on one hand we're all liberal and excepting of same sex marriage and giving women control of their bodies and yet here we have an example of someone telling others how to parent their kids through their own opinions.

I'm all for controlled situation with all the right gear and all that, after all each to there own. I actually went to a few of those stunt shows.

But the word scrambler and quad nowadays throws up images of scrotes going around neilstown, ballymun, finglas, coolock running amok ( these are the places I've witnessed it before people say I'm stereotyping)

If a parent thinks their child is able to operate a machine designed for them, and they can do so in a safe manner that doesn't put them or others at risk that is none of your business.

Would you ever cop on and stop making excuses for crappy parenting.

The parents in the uploaded video that triggered this thread obviously thought their child was able to "operate a machine designed for them" and look what happened. The kid could have ended up dead or severely hurt.

The legal minimum legal age for scramblers on the public road is 16. That should be extended to off road, too.

The parents in the uploaded video that triggered this thread obviously thought their child was able to "operate a machine designed for them" and look what happened. The kid could have ended up dead or severely hurt.

The legal minimum legal age for scramblers on the public road is 16. That should be extended to off road, too.

Not denying the video from yesterday is shocking but I think you're underestimating how good and capable kids can be when trained in the right environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I feel sorry for those who have to put up with that crap from kids driving scramblers around housing estates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

You're delusional. Probably send your child down the local gaa club? What if he/she gets a bad belt of a hurl to the head & the kid ends up dead or severely hurt?

Wrong.
    I can't believe any motorcycle company makes bikes for 3 year olds, but seeing as they do, these machines should not be available for sale to the general public where any muppet can put a young child onto a bike that could potentially kill them.

And there is no question that child yesterday could have been killed.

They should be available for sale to off-road clubs only, where the children of enthusiasts can pay to use them and be taught to ride in a controlled setting by someone qualified to teach them.

Hope that clears that up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

I don't know why you'd want to buy your child one of these. Motorbike racing even in 'controlled' environments is really dangerous. Why would you want to encourage your child to do something that is so dangerous if you end up competing as an adult. And the acccidents they have are completely life changing.

FAMLEE wrote: »
    You're delusional. Probably send your child down the local gaa club? What if he/she gets a bad belt of a hurl to the head & the kid ends up dead or severely hurt?

Nope, mine had no interest in GAA. But if they had, they wouldn't have been allowed partake without the safety gear required. Including headgear.

The muppets in this video did not even have a helmet on that poor child.

In my opinion, the sale of these bikes should be severely restricted so that muppets who have no sense of how to keep their own children safe, (let alone anyone else's, or property) can buy them.

See above post.

Wrong.

Fair enough, your other post seemed to suggest you were against kids on motorbikes. Particularly the last sentence.

"I personally can't understand any parent who would buy such a present for their child, or any who would put a child the age of the one in the video on a motorbike of any kind. Sorry, but I do not accept scramblers as being suitable for young children"

Go on, tell me.

I’m sure the stats are available. I can think of a few off the top of my head due to my interest in road racing. To say it’s safe is nonsense. Even the top riders will tell you it isn’t safe.

Wrong.

Did you not post the above?

Fair enough, your other post seemed to suggest you were against kids on motorbikes. Particularly the last sentence.

"I personally can't understand any parent who would buy such a present for their child, or any who would put a child the age of the one in the video on a motorbike of any kind. Sorry, but I do not accept scramblers as being suitable for young children"

I am against children on motorbikes. But as you quoted above, that is my personal opinion. That doesn't stop anyone else from putting their toddler on a motorbike if they want. But its also my right to believe they are taking a huge risk with their child's safety if they do.

(eta) And yes, I do think the minimum age should be 16.

I’m sure the stats are available. I can think of a few off the top of my head due to my interest in road racing. To say it’s safe is nonsense. Even the top riders will tell you it isn’t safe.

I'm not denying the risks aren't there but motorsport or any high risk activity seen to get a free pass for people who wish to impose their own opinions on how others should live their lives.
    The likes of Marc Marquez or John McGuinness didn't become champions by jumping on a bike at 16 yrs of age and suddenly discovering they had natural talent. They were on bikes from a young age and to think that todays kids are any less capable is naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

So, like this thread till the "motorsport enthusiasts " arrived to let us know they were being persecuted.

No-one suggested persecution, just trying to draw a line between sh*tty parenting and parents who make the effort.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I am against children on motorbikes. But as you quoted above, that is my personal opinion. That doesn't stop anyone else from putting their toddler on a motorbike if they want. But its also my right to believe they are taking a huge risk with their child's safety if they do.

(eta) And yes, I do think the minimum age should be 16.

Is it just motorbikes that you think kids should be banned from or all hazardous activities like rugby, gymnastics, horse riding etc?

In appropriate surroundings, with proper instruction and safety gear of course, not just let loose like the poor kid in the video?

Race tracks for scramblers/quads should be regulated in Ireland. In order to be able to buy a scrambler you should have to be a registered member of a track.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Is it just motorbikes that you think kids should be banned from or all hazardous activities like rugby, gymnastics, horse riding etc?

In appropriate surroundings, with proper instruction and safety gear of course, not just let loose like the poor kid in the video?

Tell you what, if start a thread on those, I may or may not give my 2 cents worth.

But this thread is about children on scramblers - not GAA, rugby, gymnastics, or horse-riding, or anything else you'd like to deflect the subject onto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

Race tracks for scramblers/quads should be regulated in Ireland. In order to be able to buy a scrambler you should have to be a registered member of a track.

There's no way to regulate buying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wilfuler. wrote: »
    There's no way to regulate buying

They buy them from their friends for much less than they are actually worth.
    They take them home and parents do/say nothing - and so it goes on.

Clubs are regulated and tend to be pretty strict, that’s not the problem.

How do you stop someone buying something?
    Bear in mind, the parents in the video probably ignored advice; and RSA have issued all sorts of warnings. etc and it’s well known you need a license, tax, insurance etc to ride a bike on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

When I was a kid, about 6 or 7, my parents brought us to a motocross track in France where they let us drive little scramblers and quads around a track. We were given safety instructions and all the safety gear and it was one of the funnest couple of hours I had as a child I absolutely loved every minute of it.

There’s nothing wrong with kids doing motor sports with the right gear, supervision and in the right environment. But these things certainly aren’t toys and parents absolutely shouldn’t be letting their kids loose on them in public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What's a better way to go, dying doing the thing you love while in your prime or dying after a long age of slaving away to capitalism?

• Advertisement

Clubs are regulated and tend to be pretty strict, that’s not the problem.

How do you stop someone buying something?
    Bear in mind, the parents in the video probably ignored advice; and RSA have issued all sorts of warnings. etc and it’s well known you need a license, tax, insurance etc to ride a bike on the road.

If I want to buy a gun, I need a gun license. If you want to buy a scrambler you should need a membership of a moto-x club. If your bike is found being driven by someone you’ve sold it to, or lent it to, massive fines and a ban from owning a motorised 2 wheel vehicle.

If I want to buy a gun, I need a gun license. If you want to buy a scrambler you should need a membership of a moto-x club. If your bike is found being driven by someone you’ve sold it to, or lent it to, massive fines and a ban from owning a motorised 2 wheel vehicle.

Yes but how do you enforce that and who enforces it? Clubs can’t seize and inspect bikes and many of these bikes don’t have registrations as such, also worth remembering it’s not usually bike shops or riders where these are sourced, a lot are imports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I said I'd report back.

Ballymun was unusually quiet today, but there was a noticeable Garda presence too, but God only knows what was going on in the courts (Poppintree, not the law courts).

The gas thing about the Poppintree ring road (Balbutcher Lane) where this quad caused a huge accident is there are over 20 Garda camera's covering the entire road.

The funny thing is when I was growing up in the flats in Ballymun Poppintree was called 'the posh end of Ballymun, and the residents of Poppintree even got in on the act and corrected anyone who said Poppintree is in Ballymun lol

By the way, the uploaded video didn't trigger this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Do shithole estates in England and other countries have problems with these scramblers too? Or is this a uniquely Irish phenomenon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's the 21st cent version of sulky racing or the unregulated purchase of large "cultural" pets.

• Advertisement

Yes but how do you enforce that and who enforces it? Clubs can’t seize and inspect bikes and many of these bikes don’t have registrations as such, also worth remembering it’s not usually bike shops or riders where these are sourced, a lot are imports.

The Gardai. If a shop sells a scrambler etc without seeing club membership, shut them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The Gardai. If a shop sells a scrambler etc without seeing club membership, shut them down.

Do most of these come from shop sales or private sales?

And if you buy one in Newry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Do shithole estates in England and other countries have problems with these scramblers too? Or is this a uniquely Irish phenomenon?

Yes other countries do.

In Saudi Arabia its cars instead of bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Do you think the scumbags in the UK are more considerate?

bike-accident.gif?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=540%2C299&ssl=1

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement