Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrambler bikes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

The bike in the video a yamaha pw50 is safer than a bicycle for a kid that age if the parents are not idiots.

The throttle can be set so it only goes walking speed while the child learn to ride in the right place with right gear. It's shaft drive so a child won't get its finger taken off in chain and sprocket.

Realistically speaking a child could run or cycle into a pole while not look faster than this bike should have been setup for this kid to start on.

I still say it's a great little bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭matchthis

Jeff2 wrote: »
    The bike in the video a yamaha pw50 is safer than a bicycle for a kid that age if the parents are not idiots.

The throttle can be set so it only goes walking speed while the child learn to ride in the right place with right gear. It's shaft drive so a child won't get its finger taken off in chain and sprocket.

Realistically speaking a child could run or cycle into a pole while not look faster than this bike should have been setup for this kid to start on.

I still say it's a great little bike.

Yep I also blame the reckless uneducated gift purchaser too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

''Take the dummy off him and give him a crash helmet and safety gear... or take the bike off him and give him a teddy bear....''

One of the comments on the article. Spot on. Sums it up. Either he's a baby or he's a young fella. Can't be both!

Wilfuler. wrote: »
    There's no way to regulate buying

Of course there is. Weedkiller is regulated. I'm sure wholly illegal off-road bikes are easy enough to regulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Of course there is. Weedkiller is regulated. I'm sure wholly illegal off-road bikes are easy enough to regulate.

How are they wholly illegal? Used in the wrong circumstances, sure they are illegal. But if they are used off road on private land, there's nothing illegal about them.

Trying to ban them is a knee jerk idea. It's like banning log cabins to prevent people putting them in their back gardens for family members to live in. Illegally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

The Daily Mail. As accurate as ever.

"As he takes off he puts his foot on the throttle......."

Makes the writing on the journal look like Dickens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

pablo128 wrote: »
    How are they wholly illegal? Used in the wrong circumstances, sure they are illegal. But if they are used off road on private land, there's nothing illegal about them.

Trying to ban them is a knee jerk idea. It's like banning log cabins to prevent people putting them in their back gardens for family members to live in. Illegally.
    Padlo it's like banning bicycles for kids because a kid hit a pole at the same speed as this kid.

It's that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If the issue doesn't affect leafy affluent suburbia, it won't be regulated.

I didn't say ban them, I said regulate them. For example; Can only be sold by licensed sellers. Buyers use a logbook to ID themselves and the bike they own (like cars). Numberplates, lights, indicators, etc. Give them stamped number plates (ie printed onto the rear of the bike so if the person does a runner with no numberplates they can be tracked).

Something has to be done. A single scrambler bike wanders around my estate, and can be heard from 300 meters away quite clearly. There are literally hundreds of people that have to put up with the noise of one scumbag being a nuisance.

Gardai have no interest. Council have no interest. It's a joke.

• Advertisement

I didn't say ban them, I said regulate them. For example; Can only be sold by licensed sellers. Buyers use a logbook to ID themselves and the bike they own (like cars). Numberplates, lights, indicators, etc. Give them stamped number plates (ie printed onto the rear of the bike so if the person does a runner with no numberplates they can be tracked).

Something has to be done. A single scrambler bike wanders around my estate, and can be heard from 300 meters away quite clearly. There are literally hundreds of people that have to put up with the noise of one scumbag being a nuisance.

Right. So someone buys a legit scrambler and takes the plate off and tears around the estate. The Gardai and council will still have no interest and were back to square one.

Like I've already said, the issue is catching them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

For example; Can only be sold by licensed sellers. Buyers use a logbook to ID themselves and the bike they own (like cars). Numberplates, lights, indicators, etc. Give them stamped number plates.

Problem is, these bikes are made and sold ‘not for road use’ and thus don’t need any of that, indicators, lights etc just add weight (and unnecessary cost), I’m not sure there’s a VIN on them.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

And what happens after that, there’s a stack of laws already that are broken in the PW video, nothing would be done though. Parental responsibility etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Race tracks for scramblers/quads should be regulated in Ireland. In order to be able to buy a scrambler you should have to be a registered member of a track.

They're already breaking multiple rules, they're hardly going to follow newer ones.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

bladespin wrote: »
    Problem is, these bikes are made and sold ‘not for road use’ and thus don’t need any of that, indicators, lights etc just add weight (and unnecessary cost), I’m not sure there’s a VIN on them.

They have a VIN alright. Usually ground down on the bikes terrorising Finglas and Ballymun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Motor sport enthusiast? :rolleyes: Did you ever hear such sh/te. :D

They're scumbags. If they weren't acting the jock on these yokes and tormenting everyone in a 500meter radius with the noise, then no one would care about them.

An enthusiast doesn't fly down footpaths in housing estates. They go where they should be used. People don't dislike scramblers because they've nothing else to dislike. It's a present that a scumbag gets on christmas. I've yet to meet someone that got a scrambler for christmas whose family i wouldn't class as wasters.

Not everyone that gets their kid a Scrambler is a scumbag.
    I intend on getting my kid one when he's old enough. I'm lucky enough to live close to East wall where there is a dirt bike track.
    The bike will be bought new from a dealer and used under my supervision on the track ONLY

When it's not in use, it'll be locked away in a Garage/Van and never used on the road.

There are so many 2nd hand junkers knocking about that it would be very hard to regulate.
    Also the problem with logbook/reg plate is that they are not technically road legal (2 stroke emissions, both fumes and noise)

UK cops just ram kids/people on scramblers off the road.
    It will happen here soon enough and then it'll stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

They're already breaking multiple rules, they're hardly going to follow newer ones.

So the answer is ignore the problem? Shrug and do nothing?

Restricting the sale of scramblers /making it more difficult to purchase one might not eliminate the problem altogether, but it would be a step towards minimising it.

Had the joyful experience of two lads racing each other up and down the road last night after midnight on these things - god forgive me but I almost wished they'd plough them into a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Not everyone that gets their kid a Scrambler is a scumbag.

Not everyone but disproportionate amount of them are. I walk my dog daily on gormaston beach and, even though there is a track right beside the beach, there are ALWAYS absolute scum ripping the beach up, shooting past families and dogs. The Track owners have signs up but dont police their own.

Id happily see an outright ban because the 'good' owners dont do anything to change the reputation the """"""sport""""" has (airquotes intentional).

If they dont want to be tarred with the same brush theyd be in favour of regulation, they'd be in favour of harsher penalties for misuse, they'd be in favour of self regulation within their communities. But they wont because its all false indignation, they are tarred with the same brush because the are covered head to toe in it anyway.

UK cops just ram kids/people on scramblers off the road.
    It will happen here soon enough and then it'll stop.

They do not, they will employ a tactical stop as they call it if they believe they have to (risk to life, armed etc but that’s pretty rare (apart from a couple of YouTube videos of armed robbers using them lol).

The paperwork, investigation and subsequent legal action would stop it dead here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

Can't believe the opposition here to banning the sale of under-sized "scramblers" for the use of unlicensed children. Thankfully my postcode insulates me from them.

Id happily see an outright ban because the 'good' owners dont do anything to change the reputation the """"""sport""""" has (airquotes intentional).

First off, it's not my (Or anyone who uses scramblers properly and responsibly) job to change the reputation of Scramblers because some little skanger down road is using one dangerously.
    If they dont want to be tarred with the same brush theyd be in favour of regulation, they'd be in favour of harsher penalties for misuse, they'd be in favour of self regulation within their communities. But they wont because its all false indignation, they are tarred with the same brush because the are covered head to toe in it anyway.

You wouldn't even know a person in your estate had a scrambler if it were being used properly in the proper place.
    Because you would never hear it or see it (unless you see it being loaded into a Van, but that's unlikely)
    So you're not actually tarring anyone.

In terms of "self regulation within their community", them little skang balls aren't part of our community.
    We want nothing to do with them.
    They do not, they will employ a tactical stop as they call it if they believe they have to (risk to life, armed etc but that’s pretty rare (apart from a couple of YouTube videos of armed robbers using them lol).

The paperwork, investigation and subsequent legal action would stop it dead here.

Chap I know in London says the cops are ramming the moped gangs over there now, cause people are literally fed up with it

I think you're right though, in that the paper work etc would be huge hassle

Chap I know in London says the cops are ramming the moped gangs over there now, cause people are literally fed up with it

I think you're right though, in that the paper work etc would be huge hassle

They are but the moped gangs in London are part f organised crime there and are regularly armed hence the heavier response.

The gardai do need to start rounding these up on a big scale rather than the odd seizure, that imo is the best tactic, jr has a thousand euro bike lifted, the parents wouldn’t like it but might think twice about letting them out on another.

Trouble with stage zero sh*ts given attitude of the parents.

They’re damaging their neighbourhood and biking in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Wilfuler. wrote: »
    There's no way to regulate buying

Regulations on f*cking vapes is being rushed through the dail, while a law regarding scramblers sits on the shelf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Regulations on f*cking vapes is being rushed through the dail, while a law regarding scramblers sits on the shelf

What shelf is it sitting on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Gardaí should be allowed to ram the ****ers.

Gardaí should be allowed to ram the ****ers.

Another option would be to have two Garda on something like a KTM 790 Adventure R to go after them. (For non bikers, this is a road legal bike with excellent off road ability)

The big thing about Scramblers is that it's very easy to get a way from a Garda car.
    If the Garda were on bikes that could go offroad too they wouldn't even need to catch em, just keep close enough to them to see where they're going and then just seize the bike later.

Another option would be to have two Garda on something like a KTM 790 Adventure R to go after them. (For non bikers, this is a road legal bike with excellent off road ability)

The big thing about Scramblers is that it's very easy to get a way from a Garda car.
    If the Garda were on bikes that could go offroad too they wouldn't even need to catch em, just keep close enough to them to see where they're going and then just seize the bike later.

I'll bet few of you know that Tallaght Garda station have a Garda scrambler out the back that is simply 'broken down' and they apparently don't have the money to get it fixed.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.echo.ie/news/article/gardai-combat-scrambler-scourge-with-checkpoints&ved=2ahUKEwjl4eTt9tXmAhXkoVwKHQUTAO4QFjANegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw1jst01YzIUN6Pp3ebhEryL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Oh, I bet the scumbags on scramblers would just love nothing better then getting a chase of the Garda! Sure that would be fun to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

And if you buy one in Newry?

If you are stopped on it and you don’t have a club license, scrap the bike and €5k fine.

Right. So someone buys a legit scrambler and takes the plate off and tears around the estate. The Gardai and council will still have no interest and were back to square one.

Like I’ve already said, allow the Gardai to ram them.

Well if the shops can’t sell to them, what are they gonna do??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

In my rush to quickly scan over the posts I'd missed I read that as Vespa's!

Well if the shops can’t sell to them, what are they gonna do??

The vast majority come via the uk, or crappy Chinese ones via markets, not sure how more laws here would affect that.

If you are stopped on it and you don’t have a club license, scrap the bike and €5k fine.

They already do this; tax insurance, license etc etc Trouble is parents are rarely prosecuted from what I’ve seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Has the video of the kid smashing into a pole been posted yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

They already do this; tax insurance, license etc etc Trouble is parents are rarely prosecuted from what I’ve seen.

I don't really see the need for more laws or regulation. As you say there enough laws being broken that the gardai should be able to use existing legislation to clamp down on their illegal use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Tippsman

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Has the video of the kid smashing into a pole been posted yet?

Yes it has, and the video of the taxi and red car has been debunked, no one knows if the pregnant woman was even knocked down by a scrambler.

The guards repore with citizens is already at an all time low, could you imagine how bad it would be if they were ordered to ram kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Tippsman wrote: »
    Yes it has, and the video of the taxi and red car has been debunked, no one knows if the pregnant woman was even knocked down by a scrambler.

The guards repore with citizens is already at an all time low, could you imagine how bad it would be if they were ordered to ram kids.

I imagine the people it would damage the rapport with wouldn't have a good relationship with the guards anyway. The people that want to see these little scumbags off the bikes however...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Have a small drone in the boot of a squad car ,use the drone to follow / observe the scramblers, when they're stopped or go home ,move in in and seize the bike ..
    Probably cheaper than gardai on off road bikes, and safer for everyone ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I imagine the people it would damage the rapport with wouldn't have a good relationship with the guards anyway. The people that want to see these little scumbags off the bikes however...

I'd imagine no one dislikes a guard for being a guard, they've a job to do and some do it well, alot are just grandfathered in and can do as they please without repercussion, a law onto themselves so to speak.

Ramming kids isn't the answer, this isn't London where they ram hardened criminals.

AulWan wrote: »
    Oh, I bet the scumbags on scramblers would just love nothing better then getting a chase of the Garda! Sure that would be fun to them.

A valid point! They do love a chase!
    It would need to be a delayed pursuit, possibly with the use of cheap drone too.

They just need to get the bikes off them.
    The hope would be I suppose, once they realise they cant get away they'll dump the bike.

A drone itself is no use, flight time of about 17 mins tops and a range between 4km and 7km depending
    As soon as the scummers realise this they'll just wait in out in a field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

'Repore'....Christ :pac:

Have a read here chief;

https://kfmradio.com/news/13122019-1229/81-people-satisfied-service-provided-garda-siochana
    Markcheese wrote: »
    Have a small drone in the boot of a squad car ,use the drone to follow / observe the scramblers, when they're stopped or go home ,move in in and seize the bike ..
    Probably cheaper than gardai on off road bikes, and safer for everyone ,

Absolute fantasyland stuff...completely detached from the reality of what the Gardai experience day to day...you'd be lucky to find a first aid kit or fire extinguisher in the back of a patrol car and you want drones :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Clean bill of health from the Gardai every year or you lose your forever house**.

**I think some housing associations already have this.

Behave yourself and good things happen.
    Be a scummer and lose all your 'entitlements'.

Witcher wrote: »

It reads prefect :)

I wouldnt believe a survey carried out on behalf of their organisation and with a quick glance, were the 1500 people surveyed from D4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I wouldnt believe a survey carried out on behalf of their organisation and with a quick glance, were the 1500 people surveyed from D4.

Grand so, you're just anti Gardai, you're entitled to be...just good to know where everyone is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

repore? What does that word mean?

Witcher wrote: »
    Grand so, you're just anti Gardai, you're entitled to be...just good to know where everyone is coming from.

I've my reasons, as an organisation, I've nothing against the good guards.

Are you a member of the organisation, just so we know where everyone coming from.
    Edgware wrote: »
    repore? What does that word mean?

Your ma :)
    Edgware wrote: »
    No. They went to the local crack house and asked the scrotes there

Thought as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

No. They went to the local crack house and asked the scrotes there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement