Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Archbishop Martin hits nail on head here

• 25-12-2019 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

I'm glad someone said it.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/800-dresses-and-limousines-have-nothing-to-do-with-first-communion-archbishop-38810856.html

Important milestones and occasions have been seriously undermined by the ignorant masses. Communions, confirmations xmas etc., are just paydays and glamour events now.

Even in the school I teach in, this year, there has been virtually no mention of traditional Christmas values. Its only ever about how much junk can be accumulated and how much crap consumed. And on a side note, its always the more scummy kids from disadvantaged backgrounds who will have the flashiest gear returning in Jan.

Unsurprisingly, it will be these same ignorant folk shouting the loudest when the next recession arrives.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You are a teacher and are referring to your pupils like that?

You sir are the scumbag here in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilfuler.

Teachers should be well paid and respected

We end up with people like the op teaching our kids

I'm sure Mr. Jizzbeans is a wonderful, respectable teacher..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Simi

Wilfuler. wrote: »
    Teachers should be well paid and respected

We end up with people like the op teaching our kids

Teachers are well paid. Respect is earned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

JizzBeans wrote: »
    Important milestones and occasions have been seriously undermined by the ignorant masses.

You might want to re-phrase this. There is an argument to say that the religious 'hocus pocus' of the mass displays an ignorance of what Christianity is about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/800-dresses-and-limousines-have-nothing-to-do-with-first-communion-archbishop-38810856.html

Important milestones and occasions have been seriously undermined by the ignorant masses. Communions, confirmations xmas etc., are just paydays and glamour events now.

Even in the school I teach in, this year, there has been virtually no mention of traditional Christmas values. Its only ever about how much junk can be accumulated and how much crap consumed. And on a side note, its always the more scummy kids from disadvantaged backgrounds who will have the flashiest gear returning in Jan.

Unsurprisingly, it will be these same ignorant folk shouting the loudest when the next recession arrives.

I don't think that someone who refers to others, particularly the less well off,in such a way has any standing to pontificate about Christian values. Specks and beams and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭JizzBeans

I don't think that someone who refers to others, particularly the less well off,in such a way has any standing to pontificate about Christian values. Specks and beams and all that.

What is the problem with using the term scummy? Its actually one of the nicer descriptions. Its not a dig at the less well off as such, more so scumbag families. I know plenty of less well off kids/families who are not scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,855 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That "scummy kids" comment is crass and ignorant.

Without the support of "ignorant masses" mainstream churches would never have amassed the wealth and power that they achieved. I'd consider that a good thing though...

If you want a more observant, more devout RCC you're going to have to accept that as it rapidly shrinks its temporal influence will also rapidly shrink. This means getting out of any schools which receive public funding.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 martinpeter

Absolutely

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I love the virtue signalling here. Yes the word scummy should not be used but one wonders how charitable posters on here are in real life.?How much they push for paying more tax to help the less well off or the opinions they express in private about certain areas of Dublin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Unfortunately most of our schools have a catholic patron and require the teaching and "belief" in Catholicism from their teachers. As such we have people "like the OP" that want to judge others from a religious ivory tower.

Perhaps look at the real problem, all religion is a crock of sh!t with no scientific of factual basis whatsoever and should not have any place in the education of our children. It disgusts me that our children are indoctrinated in this archaic muck (or any other made up muck).
    Take that on board and perhaps you would be less concerned about these "values" you refer to.
    On another note the crass communion (etc) is a good representation of everything wrong with the world today....consumerism on speed. It is however a bit rich to teach a load of lies and then "preach" about the wrong other people do. If this crap was not taught in school then the junk you talk about would not exist.
    If archbishop whatever was serious about his "man in the sky" (not a woman but don't get me started..) he would remove his indoctrination machine from schools and allow the true believers (AKA misguided) avail of the sacraments.
    On a final note I hope you are a troll, kids are not scummy they are innocent children shaped by the society they are in. If their teacher thinks they are "scummy" guess how they will grow up. I really hope my kids do better than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So why doesn't he refuse them entry to these 'sacraments' then?

I have an idea for him and his CC.....why don't they put all religious teaching on after school closes, see how many followers he'll have in his flock in the future.

Or how about getting out of our education system altogether?

I hope I live to see the day this guy and his ilk are surplus to requirements. He's like a bloody celeb at this stage, never out of the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

A few obvious things the RC church could do..
    Move "Communion Season" to Jan-March
    Hold Communions mid-week
    Insist that all parents become part of the Communion preparation
    Establish a dress code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

homer911 wrote: »
    A few obvious things the RC church could do..
    Move "Communion Season" to Jan-March
    Hold Communions mid-week
    Insist that all parents become part of the Communion preparation
    Establish a dress code

What? No mention of the fake tan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,855 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

NIMAN wrote: »
    So why doesn't he refuse them entry to these 'sacraments' then?

I have an idea for him and his CC.....why don't they put all religious teaching on after school closes, see how many followers he'll have in his flock in the future.

Or how about getting out of our education system altogether?

I hope I live to see the day this guy and his ilk are surplus to requirements. He's like a bloody celeb at this stage, never out of the media.

You can be sure the limo etc. parents wouldn't lift a finger to put their child through the sacraments if the school wasn't doing all the work for them.

Win-win. We get secular schools, we get only religiously observant parents putting their kids through sacraments, the "big day out" crowd go to Tayto Park instead. Wouldn't this make everyone happier?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement