Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-wired new build 4 bed semi in D 15. Alarm recomendation

Options
  • 25-12-2019 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hello friends
    I was browsing this forum for the last couple of weeks and finally decided to ask this question.
    I want an alarm with some automation capabilites and self monitoring function. Do no want any monthly contract or committments.
    I don't have a clue what is good or bad. But after educating my self from this forum, it seems Vanderbilt 4320 will be a decent one.
    Could you anyone please suggest me if this is a good system for my requirement, and approximately cost of neccessary equipments and installation costs?
    I would be grateful if I could get some contacts in the area who could install it for me
    kind regards
    Jinish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

any help please with the question? Thank you!
    jinish wrote: »
    Hello friends
    I was browsing this forum for the last couple of weeks and finally decided to ask this question.
    I want an alarm with some automation capabilites and self monitoring function. Do no want any monthly contract or committments.
    I don't have a clue what is good or bad. But after educating my self from this forum, it seems Vanderbilt 4320 will be a decent one.
    Could you anyone please suggest me if this is a good system for my requirement, and approximately cost of neccessary equipments and installation costs?
    I would be grateful if I could get some contacts in the area who could install it for me
    kind regards
    Jinish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi,

Have a look at the IoT forum too.

This has been covered a number of times, the room is split on solid certified alarms with limited Iot functionality and very capably IoT solutions but with some limitations on the alarms side of things.

Regardless of what people tell you, having two independent systems has advantages.

That siemens panel has a web server, so you have access to the state of the sensors outside your home, you can do something with that if you can program and are willing to maintain the system

theres are threads here about people using the HKC system in a more limited way.

IMO you are unlikely to get an installer that will help you in a significant way here. It's self taught, they are finicky and the callouts would be significant.
    Again IMHO

Look the the offering from Amazon, Google/Nest, Yale.
    Check Wexfordman's post about his system

Be aware that they can cut IoT links at the drop of a hat, so some function may simply drop away (eg Works with Nest, youtube casting etc)

You'll have to decide how much of this you can do, or want to do yourself.

I've an idea from your post about where you sit with it, its possibly named above, but TBH you'd need to look up the other threads, the information is there, have a look at some of BT's threads on it too, we don't always agree on things but we aren't a million miles off each other either.

Thank you Stoner

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

jinish wrote: »
    Hello friends
    kind regards
    Jinish

Hi

Most systems with apps can be free if using IP only.
    If you want app features without ongoing charges look at Vanderbilt SPC4320 , GSD or Risco. Would you be looking at a wired or wireless system?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hi

If you want app features without ongoing charges look at Vanderbilt SPC4320 , GSD or Risco. Would you be looking at a wired or wireless system?

Many thanks
    The house is wired and a new build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 riggles2

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hi

I am also looking at the Vanderbilt SPC4320, I have a old Astec 49 which needs to be upgraded.

Few questions if anybody can help
    1) Can you install this myself have a good understanding of electrics and already have all the wiring done from the old alarm.

2) See Vanderbilt won't sell to the public where would you recommend north co.dublin /meath area. and will they allow me to install or would they do it themselves.
    3) Can you use old pir's and if yes is it still better to replace for new
    4) What perimeter senor, wired pir's keypad, sounders would you recommend

Sorry for all the questions, I know this information has been answered before I am sure just can't find it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

riggles2 wrote: »
    Few questions if anybody can help
    1) Can you install this myself have a good understanding of electrics and already have all the wiring done from the old alarm.

If it is your own home you are legally permitted to, yes. It presents an interesting challenge. This is how most alarm installers learn, myself included (it is a long time since I installed). If you get stuck you can post your questions on this forum, plenty of experienced posters will assist.
    2) See Vanderbilt won't sell to the public where would you recommend north co.dublin /meath area. and will they allow me to install or would they do it themselves.

No idea. You could check the PSA website and phone a few local installers, however very few install Vanderbilt.
    3) Can you use old pir's and if yes is it still better to replace for new

You can use old PIR's in most cases, however not the old Astec 2 wire ones without the obsolete 6 wire conversion kit.
    4) What perimeter senor, wired pir's keypad, sounders would you recommend

A Vanderbilt system will need Vanderbilt keypad. I like the HKC PIR's that have a built in camera but these will only work with the HKC system. The HKC inertia shock sensors are particularly good and these are compatible with the Vanderbilt system.

Advertisement