Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for home leavers?

Options
  • 25-12-2019 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm 24 years old and recently started my career following graduation. I'm trying to stand up on my own 2 feet and live alone. I moved out the family home during the summer and currently house share with some friends where I pay 400eu a month. This is alright for now but ideally I want to rent some sort of an apartment and live alone.

I'm sure everyone is aware of how expensive apartment rent is so I was wondering if there was some sort of a scheme or similar that helped young people/graduates to get set up? My salary is 44,000EU a year and I'm Dublin based

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

1123heavy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm 24 years old and recently started my career following graduation. I'm trying to stand up on my own 2 feet and live alone. I moved out the family home during the summer and currently house share with some friends where I pay 400eu a month. This is alright for now but ideally I want to rent some sort of an apartment and live alone.

I'm sure everyone is aware of how expensive apartment rent is so I was wondering if there was some sort of a scheme or similar that helped young people/graduates to get set up? My salary is 44,000EU a year and I'm Dublin based

Yeah it's stop working get pregnant and be housed....

Come on seriously you can't be that naive....

If you want to live alone rent a bedsit, if you want cheaper then you need to move further afield and we'll outside Dublin....

Honestly you would be best saving at home and purchasing when you save enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Your education resulting in your good job was the scheme.

That’s a great salary for a recent graduate. Well done. And welcome to the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

There isn't, and if there was people on your wage shouldn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

There's the help to buy scheme which is available to any first time buyer

You're on what 2.8k a month net, paying 400 rent, you could be easily saving 1k and live comfortably and you'll have a few salary rises too I'd imagine over the coming years

If you're living with friends enjoy that while it lasts, you're only 24 plenty of time for buying your own place but if you're in any of the big urban areas which I imagine you are given your graduate wage I'm afraid you're looking at 5 or so years before you're in a position to buy without a legup from the bank of mam and dad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Only in Ireland, 44k a year and wants help from the govt.
    Naive or a troll, I don't know which.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,390 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's terrible at 44k you can't really rent on your own here in Dublin.

Realistically it would cost 1300/1400 a month for a one bed apt in a reasonable area here.

Mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

votecounts wrote: »
    Only in Ireland, 44k a year and wants help from the govt.
    Naive or a troll, I don't know which.

With all respect the government take a sizeable portion of my salary and considering I'm young and a recent grad as mentioned, it is not beyond reason to investigate as to what options are available.

@SureYWouldntYa I appreciate that response. Yes a few lads living together sounds great but that's about it, I think it's time I went solo completely and established myself alone. I will look into the help to buy scheme but by the name of it I suppose I'll have to commit myself to a property, I'm single with no idea what the future may hold so it's probably a bit much for me now, though no harm informing myself about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

I don't like these millennial / snow flake comments but Jesus a 24 year old earning nearly 50k a year asking where the government scheme is to facilitate him getting a bigger place kinda says a lot about a generation of Molly coddled individuals with limited grasp of reality.

noodler wrote: »
    It's terrible at 44k you can't really rent on your own here in Dublin.

Realistically it would cost 1300/1400 a month for a one bed apt in a reasonable area here.

Mess.

You see I could rent an apartment for 1,600eu fairly close to work and then have about 1,5 k to live off per month, covering everything from bills to leisure activities, then that's my salary gone with 0 savings. I think I'd be fairly stupid to not be saving anything and I'd like to save as much of it as I can so when the time does come that I've a partner and want to settle down, I've a lot of the onerous financial demands already seen to.

So yes in a way it's not 'really' doable, unless you simply live to pay your rent and live from one month to the next - which renders the whole point of all the study rather pointless

I don't like these millennial / snow flake comments but Jesus a 24 year old earning nearly 50k a year asking where the government scheme is to facilitate him getting a bigger place kinda says a lot about a generation of Molly coddled individuals with limited grasp of reality.

Sorry buddy, perhaps this online method of communication is rather poor when it comes to tone, but I'm anything but a 'snowflake' as you so eloquently put it. I wouldn't have been given this job and I wouldn't have seen past the nightmare that was the last 5 years to get to where I am right now if I was in anyway 'entitled', so rest assured I am not. I did my work and was looking at what options are available to me now for the next step, that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭SteM

Want to stand on my own 2 feet..... any chance of a hand out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This is definitely a troll.... Mods delete...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Sorry buddy, perhaps this online method of communication is rather poor when it comes to tone, but I'm anything but a 'snowflake' as you so eloquently put it. I wouldn't have been given this job and I wouldn't have seen past the nightmare that was the last 5 years to get to where I am right now if I was in anyway 'entitled', so rest assured I am not. I did my work and was looking at what options are available to me now for the next step, that is all.

I would recommend keep house sharing, save and invest in your career at this stage. Still go out and enjoy yourself but keep saving regularly.

I wouldn't take the unkind posters here seriously either, we all started somewhere and you have a good starting salary but still not enough to buy a property and just over the threshold for a council property (no chance of one anyway). You are right to be considering your options but there is no help for your salary level and that is a reality for many these days, don't earn enough to buy/ get help and taxed quite heavily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The only thing was rent relief but that's gone now.

Aside from that just save for a deposit if you want to buy at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There's seriously some fcuking arseholes on the Internets, yes there is naivety in the ops requests, but weren't we all when younger. Well done op, you're well on the way in your career, but unfortunately our accommodation and housing situation is a complete mess, and won't be sorted anytime soon, if ever. Get cracking with saving though, and educate yourself about the accommodation and housing market as best as you can, as it's truly just filled with sharks. Best of luck with things

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi all,

I spent 8 years living with lads, it was a great experience and better than living on your own. Your friends circle will grow. Bought a house after that.

44 000 is a great starting salary , no matter what you earn the government will take more as your salary rises. You will never get any help from them for anything.. I would recommend to leave Ireland to explore the world.

Other countries offer you better support especially if you go down the family route in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MilaM

There was a tax relief for all tenants years ago, is it so out of line to enquire if there is something like this?

OP, you are on great money for someone just starting their career so well done. You have the option to continue house sharing and save, or rent apartment and not save much. Decide what you want more, enjoy living on your own or save more - both great options to have. Or buy, but you are spot on - buying is big commitment. Your income will hopefully continue to grow, so while you may not be able to save much immediately - if you really want to live on your own you should do that. Unfortunately 44k while on paper good salary it will not buy you apartment in good area with reliable transport and some sort of town/village nearby so renting could be a better short term decision.

Not being able to save much is unfortunate reality for many and house/rent prices in Dublin are one of the big reasons for that Renting on your own, even if it doesn't leave you much saving right now will be big achievement imo, and your career & higher earnings are hopefully ahead of you. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

There should be no reason why you can't put away 12 -15 grand a year savings over the next 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There should be no reason why you can't put away 12 -15 grand a year savings over the next 10 years

But I want it now, why should I have to share with others after 5 nightmare years of being a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Dav010 wrote: »
    But I want it now, why should I have to share with others after 5 nightmare years of being a student.

Spent 7 years sharing after college back in the late 90s early 00. Save..... Save.... Save... Build up rainy day fund. Put aside. Trust me. Then start in mortgage. Banks love history of saving etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

if you want to ' settle down ' with your partner why dont the 2 of you take a place together and share the rent? you would still have money left over to save then.

edit. sorry. i see your single.

right so ... find yourself a partner!

also the ' scheme ' your looking for is called HAP although im nlt sure you'll qualify for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

You see I could rent an apartment for 1,600eu fairly close to work and then have about 1,5 k to live off per month, covering everything from bills to leisure activities, then that's my salary gone with 0 savings. I think I'd be fairly stupid to not be saving anything and I'd like to save as much of it as I can so when the time does come that I've a partner and want to settle down, I've a lot of the onerous financial demands already seen to.

So yes in a way it's not 'really' doable, unless you simply live to pay your rent and live from one month to the next - which renders the whole point of all the study rather pointless

€1.5k a month for bills and leisure activities? For one person? :eek:

Do you realise there are families with 2/3 kids who manage to live on less then that a month?

Seriously, cut down on the spends. You should easily be able to live on €150 / €200 a week max after rent, so could still save.

I do commend you for at least trying to live independantly, but you are in a far better position then most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

During the 1980s /90s there was a council based scheme to help people like the op buy their first home. I think the council bought half and loaned the applicant the rest of the money to buy the other half. When the applicant was in the position they then bought the remaining half. I bought my first house around then but just got a normal mortgage, I was 22. Things were much much easier back then, what I did was considered normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Stay in your house share for now and save save save. I spend the bones of over 10 years in house shares. Started out with 6 sharing and ended up in a 2 bed apartment with someone i use to share with. She was always off travelling so was great at budgeting and not running up bills. You will make some great friends and not so great friends. Its great for personal developement. You still have your independence from home. Set up a monthly savings account on your wage and current rent you wont be long on saving a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

Wanderer78 wrote:
    There's seriously some fcuking arseholes on the Internets, yes there is naivety in the ops requests, but weren't we all when younger.

In fairness, he's 24.

I hope he's a troll though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,064 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Sure, lobby TDs for an SSIA scheme, get 25% more money from Govt
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Savings_Incentive_Account

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Because the Irish government and the previous generation have rightly f*cked up housing, especially in Dublin.

So far there are no serious plans to fix it either, so you must suffer for their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

If only we could all just have everything we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You need to develop/acquire patience and perseverance. These are skills and qualities that will serve you well.

Settle with what you have now and save for what you hope to have in a few years... When it is realistic and through your own efforts and work . Rely on only your own efforts. Your "options" are clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Because the Irish government and the previous generation have rightly f*cked up housing, especially in Dublin.

So far there are no serious plans to fox it either, so you must suffer for their mistakes.

So Mike and The Mechanics were right after all.

Advertisement