Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for home leavers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I want a house gimmee gimmee gimme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I want a house gimmee gimmee gimme

Good analysis of the mentality of Irish people for the last hundred years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Good analysis of the mentality of Irish people for the last hundred years.

Actually the first part of the sentence is, I want a home, the gimme, gimme, gimme is a relatively new phenomenon, associated with your generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The answer to the OP's question is no. Simple as. The government is already paying too much to landlords, that needs to be cut down and nobody should need a handout as a single young person with no dependents and that salary level (and that rent!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Dav010 wrote: »
    Actually the first part of the sentence is, I want a home, the gimme, gimme, gimme is a relatively new phenomenon, associated with your generation.

I won't presume to know your generation, but the one frantically buying houses from 2000-2007 had a far more entitled attitude than my generation.
    Caranica wrote: »
    The answer to the OP's question is no. Simple as. The government is already paying too much to landlords, that needs to be cut down and nobody should need a handout as a single young person with no dependents and that salary level (and that rent!)

You will find that landlords have sold up in droves as the government is taking too much from them, while tenants are virtually immune to eviction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You will find that landlords have sold up in droves as the government is taking too much from them, while tenants are virtually immune to eviction.

Oh I know that, from personal experience. But HAP is hugely responsible for the high rent levels. We don't need another subvention.

I won't presume to know your generation, but the one frantically buying houses from 2000-2007 had a far more entitled attitude than my generation.

I don’t think you can describe that as a sense of entitlement, more over or misguided confidence and a willingness to embrace debt, but not entitlement.

Certainly you are on the money about selling up, I’m selling as tenants move out. I don’t feel a responsibility to provide rental accommodation for your generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

1123heavy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm 24 years old and recently started my career following graduation.
    My salary is 44,000EU a year and I'm Dublin based

44k is impressive for a 24 year old; well done. Which sector are you in?
    Caranica wrote: »
    HAP is hugely responsible for the high rent levels.

How exactly? Rents were extortionate long before HAP was introduced.

In fact HAP and the RPZ were both introduced the same month; from December 2016. So if anything, rents should have stagnated since the time HAP was introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I work in aviation.

I don't get why people can get so offended at such a reasonable request. It turns out there were schemes to help tax wise but they're no longer, so the concept isn't exactly alien. Lots of governments have schemes or incentives to medium income earners to reward them for the tax they pay, seems i missed the bus in ireland by quite some time.

I don't think anyone of previous generations had such high rent to live alone. The salary looks great on paper but after tax i'm lucky if i get much over 3k take home, i'd take 3,5k or a bit higher when work is high but it's the exception.

So 3k - 1,5k for rent leaves 1,5k for other bills and activities. Say I spend 1k per month, that leaves only 500 monthly for savings. It really is not a lot for a rainy day fund, it's not the life of a millionaire as some seem to think so i dont get where that comes from.

It looks like the conclusion as alluded to by a few is to keep sharing on what i pay now and save, thanks to the genuine contributers and i appreciate the responses

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭AnRothar

From your initial post
    I moved out the family home during the summer and currently house share with some friends where I pay 400eu a month

It is your choice to move to a more expensive accommodation.
    So 3k - 1,5k for rent leaves 1,5k for other bills and activities.
    You do not need help to get started but rather some solid advice on prudent living within your means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

I work in aviation.

I don't get why people can get so offended at such a reasonable request. It turns out there were schemes to help tax wise but they're no longer, so the concept isn't exactly alien. Lots of governments have schemes or incentives to medium income earners to reward them for the tax they pay, seems i missed the bus in ireland by quite some time.

I don't think anyone of previous generations had such high rent to live alone. The salary looks great on paper but after tax i'm lucky if i get much over 3k take home, i'd take 3,5k or a bit higher when work is high but it's the exception.

So 3k - 1,5k for rent leaves 1,5k for other bills and activities. Say I spend 1k per month, that leaves only 500 monthly for savings. It really is not a lot for a rainy day fund, it's not the life of a millionaire as some seem to think so i dont get where that comes from.

It looks like the conclusion as alluded to by a few is to keep sharing on what i pay now and save, thanks to the genuine contributers and i appreciate the responses
    you do realise there are people raising families on half what you earn …..you should be well able to save a deposit on that sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

oceanman wrote:
    you do realise there are people raising families on half what you earn …..you should be well able to save a deposit on that sort of money.

Yes but he can't rent a place to himself, go out two nights a weekend, have a nice car, health insurance, Netflix, Spotify, holiday four times a year and save 500 a month on that salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

If you think the tax man is bad now, i recommend leaving Ireland ASAP.

I am on a seemingly great wage for a 30 year old but the tax-man really hits hard.

For a public servant a gross salary of 70,000 equates to 3,561 a month net.

If you think the tax man is bad now, i recommend leaving Ireland ASAP.

I am on a seemingly great wage for a 30 year old but the tax-man really hits hard.

For a public servant a gross salary of 70,000 equates to 3,561 a month net.

Fair enough yes tax is bad. Though I've had pay checks higher than that during busy months and my salary is not 70,000 yearly. Though in my sector we get a lot of allowances which are tax free so that could be partly why

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

oceanman wrote: »
    Are we supposed to feel sorry for them? Have they been told about contraception?

Edgware wrote: »
    Are we supposed to feel sorry for them? Have they been told about contraception?

There is a lot of "oh look at you, meanwhile in the real world ..." type of chat in the thread as if we're somehow not allowed to advance our own lives or even must feel guilty just because somebody else either never chose to go to college/picked the wrong course/didn't do well or whatever. Just general resentment which seems to be toxic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

People have no problem with what you described above.

What you were originally asking is if there was some sort of social support available so that you could increase your monthly savings.
    If you can't see a problem with that now, you never will

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Edgware wrote: »

It’s called empathy. You don’t have to feel sorry for them but a shred of decent thought wouldn’t go astray.
    There is a lot of "oh look at you, meanwhile in the real world ..." type of chat in the thread as if we're somehow not allowed to advance our own lives or even must feel guilty just because somebody else either never chose to go to college/picked the wrong course/didn't do well or whatever. Just general resentment which seems to be toxic

Some people don’t have the luxury of going to college either, it’s expensive, especially if you have to rent if you have to go to college out of town.

The negative replies you got here aren’t to do with you not feeling sorry for people less off than you, you got your answer even though it wasn’t what you wanted to hear and your naivety in how helping hands in the form of grants work. Doubling down in your responses is just digging down deeper. Dig up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 GeetarPick

Christ the amont of a-holes in this world...

OP fair play to for trying to stand on your own two feet just start saving like mad now and in a few years you'll have a deposit together. Remember that the know it alls are usually people a lot older than you who were able to afford houses back in the day and think they can preach hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

You see I could rent an apartment for 1,600eu fairly close to work and then have about 1,5 k to live off per month, covering everything from bills to leisure activities, then that's my salary gone with 0 savings. I think I'd be fairly stupid to not be saving anything and I'd like to save as much of it as I can so when the time does come that I've a partner and want to settle down, I've a lot of the onerous financial demands already seen to.

So yes in a way it's not 'really' doable, unless you simply live to pay your rent and live from one month to the next - which renders the whole point of all the study rather pointless

So who are you expecting to fund this for you?

The Civil Servants living in Dublin with their parents or in shared accommodation who are earning roughly €25,000 per annum? Or perhaps people like my daughter who is working part time in a minimum wage job to fund her full-time masters? Or perhaps the pensioners with a limited income.

Because you clearly want a handout from the government. And government income comes from taxation. And all of the above people are paying taxes.

You are currently earning €44,000. Your income will rise as you gain experience. You are likely to be on €60,000 or so in your thirties. Are you then happy to put any additional monies earned back into to the Government Kitty to fund schemes that would help people like you are now?

• Advertisement

GeetarPick wrote: »

OP fair play to for trying to stand on your own two feet just start saving like mad now and in a few years you'll have a deposit together. Remember that the know it alls are usually people a lot older than you who were able to afford houses back in the day and think they can preach hard work.

Trying to stand on his own 2 feet? The op is 24, he isn’t a child, and he wants the state to support him in finding a nice pad to live alone, while earning a very good new graduate wage. That isn’t standing on your own 2 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭SteM

You didn't even read the OP, he didn't say he wanted to buy a place. He just wants to rent a place on his own but doesn't really want to pay for the luxury himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Moe power to him, but i think you'll find standing on your own 2 feet on 44k just out of college isn't the biggest challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

OP although you are getting a bit of a back lash and lots of "advice" the answer to your question is No there isn't at the moment.

Some more advice
    Living away from home for the first time and with new people can be a pain/strain but stick it out, you'll learn good lifeskills and coping skills. As you said you don't know what the future holds so save and then see what you want to do when you have some more experience and extra cash.

If you really want to go solo in a place and save at the same time then by all means do. Having done it myself it's not that difficult to live as a single person (outside of rent) on 500/600 a month and you're still saving 1k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 GeetarPick

Moe power to him, but i think you'll find standing on your own 2 feet on 44k just out of college isn't the biggest challenge

It is if you are renting in Dublin. Anyone giving out to the OP clearly doesn't have that problem. First of all I'm in that pay bracket myself and you're talking 1600 pm minimum rent in very substandard living accommodation. It really isnt that easy when your tax, prsi and usc is nearly 50% of your wages. Hence why I suggested the op save a deposit for a mortgage instead of blowing that much on rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've worked since 15, never got any help, rented 7 years got no interest relief, no relief for bins etc etc.... Paid all bills, rent and had Feck all at the end of the week but I can proudly say everything I have is mine apart from the house until the mortgage is paid.

Everything the guberment has done in all that time was actually increase rents, tax everything, USC and many other charges.

It's only going to get worse.

The op is looking for help which there ain't any unless as I stated they become pregnant and are housed or give up work and stay on the scratch.

The op has a fairly decent wage, they have many options and if they can stay at home I'd recommend doing so to get saving together a d if not then house share to get rent down.

Move outside of the city and commute like many of us.

When one is working there is no free ride....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

You've just started your career and working properly. I don't think there's much resentment towards what you've achieved (which seems to just be a degree). Youre just coming across as very entitled. Lots of people work hard, lots of people have degrees, you seem to think you've achieved something special or difficult when the difficult part of your career is all to come. There are very few who can afford to live on their own in a capital city at your age.

You've just started your career and working properly. I don't think there's much resentment towards what you've achieved (which seems to just be a degree). Youre just coming across as very entitled. Lots of people work hard, lots of people have degrees, you seem to think you've achieved something special or difficult when the difficult part of your career is all to come. There are very few who can afford to live on their own in a capital city at your age.

At what point did I say I achieved something special? I simply stated i was a new graduate to give context to my situation, that is all I said. Anything else was from other posters who seemed more interested about that and the money rather than actually responding to the query I made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

44k a year, single and wants help from government to buy a house.....this country is a mess

Like generations have done before you, save save and then save again. Get a second job if you want to save quicker

The government taking a bit of tax so you expect to get it back? Your having a laugh? What tax you paying a month? Maybe 100-200 quid? How is that going to pay for a house?

Advertisement