Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for home leavers?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

noodler wrote: »
    They are indeed over 50%.

Between 55-58 once USC and PRSI are included.

Nope they are not that percentage of gross at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

I'd rather see someone like this given a hand than the wasters and spongers on the dole who will never contribute a penny to the country

But he doesn't need a hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 GeetarPick

Stheno wrote: »

Yes they are. Look it up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

GeetarPick wrote: »

Show me who pays over 50% of their gross income in tax usc and prsi?

Just one example would be fin ed.

And I mean their entire gross not some cherry picked figure

Even someone on 100k as a paye worker doesn't pay anywhere near 50% plus between the three

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭SteM

I'd rather see someone like this given a hand than the wasters and spongers on the dole who will never contribute a penny to the country

There is, there's the help to buy scheme when he's ready to purchase and until then he can easily afford to rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

GeetarPick wrote: »

Go follow your own advice, cause you clearly didn't

Some people have very strange ideas or fixed past memories when it comes to tax rates

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

1123heavy wrote: »
    There is a lot of "oh look at you, meanwhile in the real world ..." type of chat in the thread as if we're somehow not allowed to advance our own lives or even must feel guilty just because somebody else either never chose to go to college/picked the wrong course/didn't do well or whatever. Just general resentment which seems to be toxic

Im the mother of a recent graduate so I’m familiar with people in their early twenties who have a 3rd level qualification and found it quite straightforward to get a well paid job.
    I don’t use the terms millennial or snowflake.
    I am curious to know though firstly, what your expectations were of how much independent living would cost? And secondly why you think that there would be help for you to pay your rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

So someone who works hard to get straight through college with the education and talent to land a decent job out of the gates should receive less consideration and assitance buying a home he cannot afford (44k will get you nothing in Dublin) than someone who either doesn't work at all or earns less (in turn paying less into the tax system that assists eligible home buyers). I do believe in helping people in need but it should not be to the detriment of the people who are in effect doing the most to provide the financial source of that help. Stop ridiculing the guy because he didn't just drop out of school onto the dole and wait for someone to hand him a home, or because he landed a good job. He asked a reasonable question and has been more than reasonable in response to a lot of ignorance that appears to stem from nothing more than thinking someone who works hard should not even ask about being eligible for some payback from it.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    So someone who works hard to get straight through college with the education and talent to land a decent job out of the gates should receive less consideration and assitance buying a home he cannot afford (44k will get you nothing in Dublin) than someone who either doesn't work at all or earns less (in turn paying less into the tax system that assists eligible home buyers). I do believe in helping people in need but it should not be to the detriment of the people who are in effect doing the most to provide the financial source of that help. Stop ridiculing the guy because he didn't just drop out of school onto the dole and wait for someone to hand him a home, or because he landed a good job. He asked a reasonable question and has been more than reasonable in response to a lot of ignorance that appears to stem from nothing more than thinking someone who works hard should not even ask about being eligible for some payback from it.

How would someone on the dole buy a house? Think you are confused here tbh

OP will be eligible for payback unlike someone on the dole he should be able to buy his own home in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Show me who pays over 50% of their gross income in tax usc and prsi?

Just one example would be fin ed.

And I mean their entire gross not some cherry picked figure

Even someone on 100k as a paye worker doesn't pay anywhere near 50% plus between the three

But i guess you realise he/she is talking about the marginal rate of tax? The marginal rate of tax for public servants is in the region of 58%.

• Advertisement

But i guess you realise he/she is talking about the marginal rate of tax? The marginal rate of tax for public servants is in the region of 58%.

That's not what was claimed in this thread by multiple posters. That's my point.

No on pays over 50% of their gross income in taxes

And that is what really gets me about this country.

If I am willing to do more and perhaps get another job on the side- If i am to go through the books a 100euro payment would give me 42 euro. One would then begin to conclude, what is the point? What is the point trying to add more value into this economy when its sucking you dry.

And that is what really gets me about this country.

If I am willing to do more and perhaps get another job on the side- If i am to go through the books a 100euro payment would give me 42 euro. One would then begin to conclude, what is the point? What is the point trying to add more value into this economy when its sucking you dry.
    Are you a public servant doing overtime and on the higher rate of tax as that's the only scenario your post applies to

A second job outside the public sector does not attract the same levels of tax such as the pension levy.

Some people on here could do with educating themselves rather than spouting falsehoods

• Registered Users Posts: 26,390 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Addle wrote: »
    He probably also didn’t spend as long in education and married and had a family young.
    He also probably didn’t travel the world or have all the mod cons people have now.

Do you want your dad’s life?

Ridiculous strawman nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,390 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Don't be so intransigent.

It's clear what the OP meant regarding marginal tax rates.

Are you a public servant doing overtime and on the higher rate of tax as that's the only scenario your post applies to

A second job outside the public sector does not attract the same levels of tax such as the pension levy.

Some people on here could do with educating themselves rather than spouting falsehoods

Yes overtime- why bother come in and stop the crap from hitting the fan ...it'll will look great on your p60, annual income 70k or so but in reality your working your backside off and earning just as much as somebody on a cushy 9-5 earning 50k.

Yes overtime- why bother come in and stop the crap from hitting the fan ...it'll will look great on your p60, annual income 70k or so but in reality your working your backside off and earning just as much as somebody on a cushy 9-5 earning 50k.

Is someone forcing you to do it?

noodler wrote: »
    Don't be so intransigent.

It's clear what the OP meant regarding marginal tax rates.

No. It wasn't at all

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

You don't earn the same as someone on 50k, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Stheno wrote:

Get a job....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

OP will be eligible for payback unlike someone on the dole he should be able to buy his own home in the future

Not confused at all. I don't expect somone on the dole to buy on their own, there are schemes to assist with housing though. I do expect in a functional society that the right of someone who works and pays into the system to benefit from it. And that is a key thing in any argument of this type"Right". A lot of people think you have a right to a house, food, healthcare etc. simply by sucking air. In a world of limited and ever shrinking resources that is not only not true but borders on fantasy. You have a right to what you earn, as does the tiniest amoeba in fighting for existence, anything else is compassion and charity. Those latter 2 are essential in a decent society (and I absolutely support) but they are secondary to supporting those who fight to earn. This is how economies work.
    I've been unemployed, probably so far a total of about 4 years over my life but bar 6 months I lived on my own savings and some dire mitigating life choices that I had to fight tooth and nail to get out of. I know what it is not to know where your next rent is coming from, and how hard it is to eventually be able to buy a house here (only a year ago). And with that experience I will absolutely support the idea that those who work should get more out of the system than those that don't.
    And more directly here reiterate that the OP had a perfectly valid point and expectation (that yes unfortunately has to be dashed by current reality).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Not confused at all. I don't expect somone on the dole to buy on their own, there are schemes to assist with housing though. I do expect in a functional society that the right of someone who works and pays into the system to benefit from it. And that is a key thing in any argument of this type"Right". A lot of people think you have a right to a house, food, healthcare etc. simply by sucking air. In a world of limited and ever shrinking resources that is not only not true but borders on fantasy. You have a right to what you earn, as does the tiniest amoeba in fighting for existence, anything else is compassion and charity. Those latter 2 are essential in a decent society (and I absolutely support) but they are secondary to supporting those who fight to earn. This is how economies work.
    I've been unemployed, probably so far a total of about 4 years over my life but bar 6 months I lived on my own savings and some dire mitigating life choices that I had to fight tooth and nail to get out of. I know what it is not to know where your next rent is coming from, and how hard it is to eventually be able to buy a house here (only a year ago). And with that experience I will absolutely support the idea that those who work should get more out of the system than those that don't.
    And more directly here reiterate that the OP had a perfectly valid point and expectation (that yes unfortunately has to be dashed by current reality).

Agreed with everything you posted, until the last bit, where you contradicted everything that went before. You should profit from your labour, but expecting the State then to help you when it is obvious you have the earning capacity to afford rent, sorry, no, I don’t want my taxes going to help the op get a nice pad just because he feels he doesn’t want to share and save for a while, like most new graduates do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Guys the OP had a pretty valid question, of course he wants to see what's available to him to ease the burden. Unfortunately OP if something did exist in Ireland at the moment like tax relief on rents the supply and demand situation at the moment would ensure that any rebates available would only serve to push rents up further and wipe out any gains.

Some people have taken umbrage at the OP earning a decent salary at a young age, I think a lot of it stems from jealousy to be honest and smacks of sour grapes and begrudgery

To show it wasn't a ridiculous question or an entitled question I'll give 3 examples available to people that earn 44k, 74k or 104k

If you have children, you get help via children's allowance, no matter what your salary is. 140 a month per child so a typical family could be getting 280 to 420 a month because they chose to have kids

If you buy a house you get mortgage interest relief, no matter what your salary is. There is also the help to buy scheme giving people tax back and can be up to 20k euro because they chose to buy a brand new house. Unfortunately this scheme just pushed house prices up when introduced

If you want to fund your retirement you get tax relief on your contributions up to a percentage based on age.

So, fair play to the OP for asking the question and I don't think some of the responses were fair to him.

OP for what it's worth I think you should share rent with someone too until you get to the point where you are in a position to buy. I earn more than you and the thoughts of paying 1600 a month on rent in addition to other home expenses would be a kick in the teeth for me.

I shared with people before I bought my own house at age 29 and it was fine, but they were always people I knew, never lived with strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Guys the OP had a pretty valid question, of course he wants to see what's available to him to ease the burden. Unfortunately OP if something did exist in Ireland at the moment like tax relief on rents the supply and demand situation at the moment would ensure that any rebates available would only serve to push rents up further and wipe out any gains.

Some people have taken umbrage at the OP earning a decent salary at a young age, I think a lot of it stems from jealousy to be honest and smacks of sour grapes and begrudgery

To show it wasn't a ridiculous question or an entitled question I'll give 3 examples available to people that earn 44k, 74k or 104k

If you have children, you get help via children's allowance, no matter what your salary is. 140 a month per child so a typical family could be getting 280 to 420 a month because they chose to have kids

If you buy a house you get mortgage interest relief, no matter what your salary is. There is also the help to buy scheme giving people tax back and can be up to 20k euro because they chose to buy a brand new house. Unfortunately this scheme just pushed house prices up when introduced

If you want to fund your retirement you get tax relief on your contributions up to a percentage based on age.

So, fair play to the OP for asking the question and I don't think some of the responses were fair to him.

OP for what it's worth I think you should share rent with someone too until you get to the point where you are in a position to buy. I earn more than you and the thoughts of paying 1600 a month on rent in addition to other home expenses would be a kick in the teeth for me.

I shared with people before I bought my own house at age 29 and it was fine, but they were always people I knew, never lived with strangers.

Mortgage interest relief was done away with.

It still benefits some but it's been fazed out.

I couldn't get rent tax relief and then also missed the both for the mortgage and bins tax relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Says it in a nutshell, your post. Thank you

Also that a young person in no need automatically thinks the state should support him immediately ?
    What are they being taught? Where is the self sufficiency and resourcefulness? And responsibility?
    Dav010 wrote: »
    Agreed with everything you posted, until the last bit, where you contradicted everything that went before. You should profit from your labour, but expecting the State then to help you when it is obvious you have the earning capacity to afford rent, sorry, no, I don’t want my taxes going to help the op get a nice pad just because he feels he doesn’t want to share and save for a while, like most new graduates do.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

1123heavy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm 24 years old and recently started my career following graduation. I'm trying to stand up on my own 2 feet and live alone. I moved out the family home during the summer and currently house share with some friends where I pay 400eu a month. This is alright for now but ideally I want to rent some sort of an apartment and live alone.

I'm sure everyone is aware of how expensive apartment rent is so I was wondering if there was some sort of a scheme or similar that helped young people/graduates to get set up? My salary is 44,000EU a year and I'm Dublin based

Hi OP, no there is no government schemes. Some companies do give wage advancements to new hires as they understand that moving to Dublin and finding accommodation is a difficult and expensive process.

Don’t know why the majority of responders are giving you a hard time. All you have asked was if there is any government scheme’s for newly qualified individual to get set up working in Dublin. I don’t think OP was referring to an annual accommodation bail out. I can understand some people might be envious of your situation hence the backlash.

Perhaps, in years to come the government will have such ‘Get started’ schemes available in order to attract the young qualified and talented individuals to work and stay in Ireland. I am aware that some of the corporates are doing this for the initial hiring of employees.

Also, thanks in advance! As you will be paying in excess of 10k in income tax for the upcoming year and this is set to rise for years to come. So as a 24 year old I really do think you are contributing your fair share to our society.

Fair play man. I think more people should show you some appreciation 🙌

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Graces7 wrote: »
    Says it in a nutshell, your post. Thank you

Also that a young person in no need automatically thinks the state should support him immediately ?
    What are they being taught? Where is the self sufficiency and resourcefulness? And responsibility?

Where did the op say that they think the government should support them? They merely asked if there were any schemes they could avail of? When I built my house 20 years ago I got a first time buyers grant... I could have built without it, but it was available to me so I took it.
    The op completed college and got a job and is housesharing, paying taxes (high enough taxes, I'd imagine as a single person), so are being self-sufficient and responsible.
    I find it quite laughable that you come on talking about self-sufficiency and responsibility etc from your position. It's people like the op whose taxes enable your lifestyle. To condesecendly ask "what are they being taught" etc? There's not enough rolleyes to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,064 ✭✭✭✭zell12

zell12 wrote: »
    Sure, lobby TDs for an SSIA scheme, get 25% more money from Govt
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Savings_Incentive_Account
    I presume you wrote to FiannaFail, OP :D
    Fianna Fail's €10k giveaway plan for first-time buyers
    pledging to give first-time buyers €1 for every €3 they save for a mortgage as part of a radical new plan to make home ownership a reality for thousands of young families.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:confused:

Bless you!

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Where did the op say that they think the government should support them? They merely asked if there were any schemes they could avail of? When I built my house 20 years ago I got a first time buyers grant... I could have built without it, but it was available to me so I took it.
    The op completed college and got a job and is housesharing, paying taxes (high enough taxes, I'd imagine as a single person), so are being self-sufficient and responsible.
    I find it quite laughable that you come on talking about self-sufficiency and responsibility etc from your position. It's people like the op whose taxes enable your lifestyle. To condesecendly ask "what are they being taught" etc? There's not enough rolleyes to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭antimatterx

There isn't, and if there was people on your wage shouldn't get it.

Not exactly a high salary tbh

Advertisement