Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Momma cat hating kittens

• 26-12-2019 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

So devastated. Took my two Savannah females to be spayed, age 7 mths.
    Still suckling from momma.
    Momma spayed 2 months prior..
    Kittens home same day, momma hates them.
    Won’t tolerate them near her, hissing spitting etc.
    I thought this would be normal given they smelled differently, but three weeks on, she still won’t let them near her.
    Will Feliway spray help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Some thoughts on this. I have never had this with my cats when I was breeding Siamese as usually they had gone to new homes by that age.

7 months is late for them to be suckling. A drain on the cat. And the motherly hormones ended when she was spayed so there was no longer that physical maternal bond with them.

I took on a feral who had had kittens which had been rehomed. She was docile and affectionate to me, then suddenly the mumsy hormones went and she became an aggressive little madam. From loving to be picked up to attacking the hand that fed her. And any ankle that came within reach... ouch!

Spaying her was half way to that; them being spayed was the other half.

All female cats tend to reject grown up offspring?

Never underestimate the power of feline hormones

Are you planning to keep them both? ? If so maybe ensure they have a space of their own to reduce contact?

I do not think Feliway will help; they are adjusting to a new time/status of their lives,

PS was she still lactating after spaying? Only just seen that. As I said my litters had always left home by 3-.4 months.

And try not to think of it in terms of human emotions? Not hatred just needs them away as they are fully grown. The language is normal cat talk
    BengaLover wrote: »
    I thought this would be normal given they smelled differently, but three weeks on, she still won’t let them near her.
    Will Feliway spray help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

BengaLover wrote: »
    Will Feliway spray help?

Kittens are usually fully weaned before the time they are 10 weeks. Very unlikely they were still getting milk from her at 7 months, more likely just a comforting habit.

Mammy has decided to put an end to it and that's that, they'll soon get the message.

Advertisement