Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special

Options
  • 26-12-2019 11:53am

Did anyone watch? Found little occurring, if truth be told. A bit tired. Still don’t know what happened on that fishing trip.
    Glad to see Gavin and Stacey with a little family. Normal, like. Uncle Bryn was the only one that has aged. Loved their rendition of Fairytale Of NewYork.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Found it to be unimpressive, fairly disappointed ��

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Poor.

Funnily enough I switched on an old episode of Peep Show on Netflix straight after it, and that was in a different class of comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

I really enjoyed it. I think a lot of 40 something year olds like myself can relate to it. Yeah there were moments that felt a bit forced but then again when you have a large group of people together at Christmas there is a lot of forced and faked jollity. I can't stand James Cordon but I do miss Stella so it was nice to have a bit of Nostalgia. It passed an hour and we laughed and enjoyed it, can't ask for much more than that on Christmas night when you're sprawled on the sofa feeling like a beached whale and not sure what day of the week it is. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I really enjoyed it. I think a lot of 40 something year olds like myself can relate to it. Yeah there were moments that felt a bit forced but then again when you have a large group of people together at Christmas there is a lot of forced and faked jollity. I can't stand James Cordon but I do miss Stella so it was nice to have a bit of Nostalgia. It passed an hour and we laughed and enjoyed it, can't ask for much more than that on Christmas night when you're sprawled on the sofa feeling like a beached whale and not sure what day of the week it is. :D

Yeah agree

Dunno what people were expecting really. Its been ten years, it was always just going to be a catch up of the characters with no real serious plot points or revelations. Just some easy, nostalgic viewing, to be enjoyed on Christmas Day. It fulfilled that very well for me, the hour flew by.

Some great subtle nods to fans of the series - Neil junior wrapping presents in tinfoil just like his father in the last special, Bryn's Greece tshirt, Dick Powell still up to his old tricks, Nessa and her ambiguous age, the mentions of "Chinese Margaret" and "Big Fat Sue" and so on.

As ever the two best characters are not the (boring) lead ones, but Nessa and Smithy. I love how parenthood has matured them both but they still fundamentally remain the exact same flawed characters - Nessa still has the tough exterior and ripping off people with dodgy services, Smithy still getting hammered and going to nightclubs at 40ish and as shallow as ever with a beautiful but clearly incompatible partner. Both are still too emotionally insecure to address their true feelings for each other, even ten years on,
    until the cliffhanger ending

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Loved it but then I loved the whole series from the start so I was always going to be a sucker for anything they'd do.

Bryns manic cooking was priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

There was a few laughs and it was great to see them all back again but it wasn't great overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

Very poor but then again it had been going downhill long before they called it quits ten years ago.

Someone mentioned earlier 'What more could we have asked for?'

I would have thought something entertaining would have been the start, something humourous would have been a bonus.

There is a good lot of money to be made in the Christmas specials, you'd think. I always liked Ruth Jones but it was just her and Corden getting together to remember what it was like back in the day. They didn't have any real idea and just rehashed what worked ten years ago. Good luck to them but it would have been nice for it to be entertaining.

Hate to break it to some people that you aren't going to find out what happened on the fishing trip because the writers' never knew. That was the joke. Like trying to add up Nessa's past.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Apparently it was the most watched BBC show of the decade.

Finding out what happened on the fishing trip would be like meeting "her indoors" in Minder.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

I really enjoyed it. The hour flew by without me looking at my phone which never happens anymore. My brother and Iaughed out loud a few times. Not hearing about the fishing trip is part of the joke, we even heightened the sound incase we missed it. Loved the nods to the past series . No mention of Dave Coaches though. Thought the simple jokes like Pam' towels to Gwen was funny.

• Advertisement

Worth noting that Gavan and Stacey started on bbc3 and worked best when it was a sleeper hit that people stumbled upon or found out through word of mouth. Very different to being the heavily promoted showcase for Christmas day TV. Royle family suffered the same. Just give the people the catch phrases they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I really enjoyed it, it's a show I've only ever dipped into but there was lots to enjoy.

A very well made Christmas special ... it didn't get bogged down in plot but it moved the story on nicely.

Nessa and Bryn's Fairytale Of New York was brilliant.

Gavin and Stacey and The Royle Family are two peas in a pod.
    Great writing and an excellent ensemble cast.

Both do it for me all day long.

The Royle Family Christmas Special is a real favourite - "cup of soup with a twist" gets me every time

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

elperello wrote: »

The Royle Family Christmas Special is a real favourite - "cup of soup with a twist" gets me every time
    Mingling Dave!!!
    Love them both, queen of sheba is imo one of the greatest episodes of tv of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Loved it and I loved the royle family too

NIMAN wrote: »
    Apparently it was the most watched BBC show of the decade.

Job done then.
    If they topped out with their target audience they can take another bow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Wouldn't have been a huge Gavin and Stacy fan but I really enjoyed this. Smithy and Nessa stole it for me, I find the two main characters quite boring being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Each to their own, but this was very poor, in no way funny. Wouldn't be a huge fan of the show when it was on, but it did have some humour in it, but this was very poor. Just a bad soap opera really, and a waste of time. Comparing Jim Royle/Ricky Tomlinson to Corden/et Al is just wrong,and disrespectful to a fine comic actor in Tomlinson.

No disrespect to Ricky intended in my posts.
    He is great but Royle Family and Gavin and Stacey were not star vehicles but depended on the writing and the strength of the full casts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I thought it was pretty good, I came late to the series but hadn't really heard about it either so myself and the wife have a real soft spot for it.

I think the cliffhanger ending is really a little way to leave the door open incase it did well and judging by the viewers it did just that. Personally, I didn't really think it was needed but it did leave a little bit of Drama.

All in all as good as I had hoped for.

• Advertisement

Loved it here too.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Wouldn't have been a huge Gavin and Stacy fan but I really enjoyed this. Smithy and Nessa stole it for me, I find the two main characters quite boring being honest.

Yeah they're boring for sure but that's the intention. Gavin is just playing the straight guy in the middle of a group of weird and wacky characters.

The special was never going to be their time to shine - they're settled down at 40 odd with 3 kids, their storyline is long resolved. They definitely teased a potential infidelity angle though, but given its a special on Christmas Day ultimately thought better of it

Nessa and Smithy are the most flawed and enigmatic characters so will always be the chief entertainment, with the hyperactive Pam and childlike Bryn great supporting acts. Gavin and Stacey are simply just the sane link to the audience, constantly embarrassed and confused by their family and friends' behaviour but ultimately would never change them for the world!

elperello wrote: »

Did you see their last Christmas special? Dire at best.

I agree. Churning them out. Caroline aherne of course was receiving cancer treatment at the time. Everything after the queen of Sheba was terrible. It was like a team of consultants was asked to watch the programs and write a new one. They picked out what got laughs and repeated it, missing the heart and all the little details that made the original so special.

Back to Gavan and Stacey (and I was a fan initially) - fairytale of New York scene was islands in the stream - step into Christmas scene was a rehash - the 'boring' conversation about the service station was a rehash (think they had similar pieces about oven gloves).

Look it killed an hour when there was nothing else on. Gone are the days of popular enough TV programmes to have Xmas specials. Gavin and Stacey was looked forward to and got a big audience. It just was poor. I like Ruth Jones and Matthew Horne and hope they make lots of cash from it.

Morgans wrote: »

Back to Gavan and Stacey (and I was a fan initially) - fairytale of New York scene was islands in the stream - step into Christmas scene was a rehash - the 'boring' conversation about the service station was a rehash (think they had similar pieces about oven gloves).

But that's the whole point. It's not that they can't be bothered to come up with brand new jokes and ideas, "rehashing" older ones is staying true to the characters. The service station conversation isn't meant to have the audience rolling around laughing, its exactly the mundane topic of conversation this particular group of characters would be discussing in the pub

Gavin and Stacey was never a roll on the floor type of comedy, it was always primarily character driven.

The step into Christmas scene is simply staying true to the Smithy character and his relationship with the Shipmans. He is always over-exuberant, it would be totally out of character for him to just enter the house in silence, that's not Smithy. Even with the passing of 10 years the beauty of it was that all the characters of the show are basically the exact same, with their quirky mannerisms all still in tact.

I loved the Smithy and Nessa role reversal from the Christmas Special and final series also. Back then Nessa was the one visibly in denial about her feelings for Smithy and forcing a relationship with the incompatible and unlikeable Dave Coaches. Smithy's role in the episode is very well written, just like Nessa before, he firstly refers to Sonia as a "friend" and very quickly changes the subject when Gavin discusses her at the Shipmans house. It was very well played how his and Nessa's relationship has come full circle in the decade but both are still too emotionally insecure to face up to their true feelings

jr86 wrote: »
    But that's the whole point. It's not that they can't be bothered to come up with brand new jokes and ideas, "rehashing" older ones is staying true to the characters. The service station conversation isn't meant to have the audience rolling around laughing, its exactly the mundane topic of conversation this particular group of characters would be discussing in the pub

Gavin and Stacey was never a roll on the floor type of comedy, it was always primarily character driven.

The step into Christmas scene is simply staying true to the Smithy character and his relationship with the Shipmans. He is always over-exuberant, it would be totally out of character for him to just enter the house in silence, that's not Smithy. Even with the passing of 10 years the beauty of it was that all the characters of the show are basically the exact same, with their quirky mannerisms all still in tact.

I loved the Smithy and Nessa role reversal from the Christmas Special and final series also. Back then Nessa was the one visibly in denial about her feelings for Smithy and forcing a relationship with the incompatible and unlikeable Dave Coaches. Smithy's role in the episode is very well written, just like Nessa before, he firstly refers to Sonia as a "friend" and very quickly changes the subject when Gavin discusses her at the Shipmans house. It was very well played how his and Nessa's relationship has come full circle in the decade but both are still too emotionally insecure to face up to their true feelings

Yeah. I'd prefer my comedies to be funny. Otherwise anyone would write it. In fact, anyone could. Let's have Nessa do something 'nessa', Pam will now do something 'pam' - repeat for an hour. Millions will love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Terri26 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. The hour flew by without me looking at my phone which never happens anymore. My brother and Iaughed out loud a few times. Not hearing about the fishing trip is part of the joke, we even heightened the sound incase we missed it. Loved the nods to the past series . No mention of Dave Coaches though. Thought the simple jokes like Pam' towels to Gwen was funny.
    I loved the bit with the towels and how it backfired on her, she was so hell bent on using those towels, I mean going to the lengths of wrapping them up so her husband wouldn't realise she was bringing them with her. Bryn getting drunk on Archers made me laugh because back in my singleton days a friend of mine used to get absolutely hammered on it and always swore she'd never drink it again, until the following weekend of course. Part of the fun of it all is that Gavin and Stacey are such normal down to earth people from completely bonkers families.

I loved the bit with the towels and how it backfired on her, she was so hell bent on using those towels, I mean going to the lengths of wrapping them up so her husband wouldn't realise she was bringing them with her. Bryn getting drunk on Archers made me laugh because back in my singleton days a friend of mine used to get absolutely hammered on it and always swore she'd never drink it again, until the following weekend of course. Part of the fun of it all is that Gavin and Stacey are such normal down to earth people from completely bonkers families.

Yeah was great to see Pam at her best

"Mick, the woman cannot cook!" haha such a Pam thing to say and its not even Gwen doing the dinner :pac: Then insisting they drive all the way back to Essex to collect puddings!

Pam is such a brilliant character and the straight and level-headed Mick is absolutely perfect as the calming husband! I loved the "my little prince's prince" reference to her grandson also

Paying an apparent couple he's never met 10 pounds a month and refusing to pay Dick Powell 5 quid was just vintage Bryn also!

Some publicity for the Dolphin pub in Barry, which I assume is real!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Yeah that was horrific, and I used to be a fan of the show. Same as with Only Fools, they just didn't know when to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Just seeing the amount of complaints the BBC got for the use of Fairytale of New York

Advertisement