Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just seeing the amount of complaints the BBC got for the use of Fairytale of New York

Where are you seeing that?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Where are you seeing that?

Haha there was sweet fk all I'd say, the Rags are just throwing out clickbait, it's a nothing story

Most probably didn't even watch the show anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just seeing the amount of complaints the BBC got for the use of Fairytale of New York

The Mirror, Star and Mail are reporting 11 complaints.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/4926929/gavin-and-stacey-only-got-eleven-ofcom-complaints-over-using-the-word-f-in-fairytale-of-new-york/

To save you clicking or searching believe me that's it 11 complaints. Apparently loads of giving out on social media but only 11 out of an audience of 12.31 million.

I'd link to Shane's comment but I'd get banned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it
    My mum summed it up perfectly the other evening, she didn't watch it as it's not her cup of tea, but she said there aren't many nice, funny comedies where nothing nasty happens any more. She's right, I used to love watching Stella and The Middle and that sort of thing but when they end they aren't replaced with something similar. Most stuff is aimed at Millennial's and if you're over 40 then what you want to watch is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I found it a bit crap to be honest, think a two parter might have been better to let things develop a bit better. Smithys new girlfriend was a crap storyline once she actually turned up.

salmocab wrote: »
    I found it a bit crap to be honest, think a two parter might have been better to let things develop a bit better. Smithys new girlfriend was a crap storyline once she actually turned up.
    Smithy's girlfriend was awful, but I think it was partly to show how difficult it would be for a newcomer to be accepted or to fit in with the old crowd. Plus she was a totally spoiled Daddy's little Princess, basically the opposite to Nessa.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Did anyone think it was basically a "Greatest Hits" type reflection on previous years? Basically, every conversation either felt like it's been touched on before or was a nod to previous scenes in some way.

It just didn't feel like there was much originality in there.

Don't get me wrong.. as a special, it was fine. But definitely wasn't worthy of the acclaim it's been getting on social media.

Smithy's girlfriend was awful, but I think it was partly to show how difficult it would be for a newcomer to be accepted or to fit in with the old crowd. Plus she was a totally spoiled Daddy's little Princess, basically the opposite to Nessa.

She was too opposite though it was bad writing and a bit obvious.

Yeah Smithy's girlfriend was very well written imo. The whole point of her was to be as awkward as possible in front of everyone

She basically played the Dave Coaches role from the last Christmas Special. Not necessarily a bad person at heart but as Millicent alludes to just a completely different background and ideals to everyone, and the culture clash is very well portrayed

Her role was crucial in the episode though. When we last saw Smithy he had formed an ambiguous but clearly amicable relationship with Nessa. Most of the humour of the show to date had revolved around their tentative relationship so I was wondering how they'd fit the humour into their now friendly association as productive co-parents. My hunch was that Smithy would have another unseen "Lucy" on the go, but by actually introducing the shallow and materialistic girlfriend from a completely different world and landing them right into the thrust of the dynamics built up between both families was genius imo

It also was so in character for Smithy. He has always been incredibly insecure and immature, while being a great person at heart. Its so typical of him that he would form a relationship with a photogenic younger girlfriend while being way too blind and immature to face up to his true feelings. It brings his and Nessa's relationship full circle. Last time it was Nessa using the clearly incompatible Dave as a beard for her own gratification.

But Corden plays it brilliantly. Never does Smithy reference his love for Sonia or anything positive about her. Its very subtly well played. His justification for getting engaged is because simply all his friends are, and even when referencing her, he first says "friend" just like Nessa did with Dave in the last series. His put on mannerisms and accent are so typical Smithy also, and some good comic relief.

And like with Dave in series 3 and Smithy's reaction, this time it all culminates in Nessa finally addressing her own true feelings. So as a result Sonia was a vital part of the episode. We can all relate to a Sonia also. We've all had that outsider introduced into our groups at different times, who don't understand the existing dynamics and subsequently can cause a bit of a stir!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭appledrop

I adored it!

I'm a huge Gavin & Stacey fan so it was like a trip down memory lane. Gavin's parents outstanding as always + Stacey family. It was brilliant + I certainly laughed!

The new girlfriend storyline was so well done + she was a horror. Yes beautiful but with no substance like so many fake ones nowadays. I nearly fell off the chair when she said she was a bit worried about meeting Nessa but then saw her + knew she had nothing to worry about there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Am I the only one who didn't notice before?

https://twitter.com/Gwynnotriangle/status/1210270412002729987?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

You are joking aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You are 100% the only person who didn't know this. Jesus wept.

Peter Sutcliffe?!

It was even mentioned in the Gavin and Stacey wedding episode!

Basq wrote: »
    Did anyone think it was basically a "Greatest Hits" type reflection on previous years? Basically, every conversation either felt like it's been touched on before or was a nod to previous scenes in some way.

It just didn't feel like there was much originality in there.

Don't get me wrong.. as a special, it was fine. But definitely wasn't worthy of the acclaim it's been getting on social media.
    I just looked at it as a fun trip down memory lane. Typical Christmas gathering stuff where people reminisce about the good old days, there's a bit of one up man-ship and there's always a couple who get drunk and end up having a one night stand that ends up being very tricky.

I just looked at it as a fun trip down memory lane. Typical Christmas gathering stuff where people reminisce about the good old days, there's a bit of one up man-ship and there's always a couple who get drunk and end up having a one night stand that ends up being very tricky.

Yeah 100%

The only thing that was a bit forced was the Pete and Dawn scene I thought, although it was great to see them back. I think they were just looking for a few cheap laughs with the stoned scene but I didn't fully buy it myself.

I've seen many were disappointed Dave Coaches didn't appear in some form. It might have been a nice touch to see him come into the Dolphin for a pint and bump into the group, showing there was no hard feelings 10 years on. I've always thought he was never really a bad guy deep down, but just didn't fit into the group dynamic, and was socially inept!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

DellyBelly wrote: »
    You are joking aren't you?
    Not joking at all. TBH, Shipman was the only one of the names that I could have remembered. I'm sure I heard the others, but they never really stuck.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Wouldn't have been a huge Gavin and Stacy fan but I really enjoyed this. Smithy and Nessa stole it for me, I find the two main characters quite boring being honest.
    Are Gavin & Stacy really the main characters? I know they got top billing, but it was very much an ensemble cast, with Smithy, Ruth, Pam, Mick and Bryn getting loads of screen time.

Are Gavin & Stacy really the main characters? I know they got top billing, but it was very much an ensemble cast, with Smithy, Ruth, Pam, Mick and Bryn getting loads of screen time.

They are easily the worst characters in the show, Stacey is actually a pain in the hole but it was very much the rest of the characters that made the show.

salmocab wrote: »
    They are easily the worst characters in the show, Stacey is actually a pain in the hole but it was very much the rest of the characters that made the show.

Gavin is a good down to earth bloke but Stacey is the true villain of the series :pac:

Faked being on the pill for months, made zero effort when she moved in to Gavin's family home, broke up with him after he got a deposit off his parents for a lovely house because it wasn't in Barry, sat around all day while Gavin worked in series 2, never told him she was engaged 5 times.

I always felt Gavin deserved better than her, but imagine an awful world where Bryn was never introduced to Gavin's family and friends :pac: :D

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Gavin is a good down to earth bloke but Stacey is the true villain of the series :pac:

Faked being on the pill for months, made zero effort when she moved in to Gavin's family home, broke up with him after he got a deposit off his parents for a lovely house because it wasn't in Barry, sat around all day while Gavin worked in series 2, never told him she was engaged 5 times.

I always felt Gavin deserved better than her, but imagine an awful world where Bryn was never introduced to Gavin's family and friends :pac: :D

I always found Gavin a bit of a soppy lad, now that said them being a pain of a couple was part of the shows dynamic that made it work, it was not about them but about the people they brought together.

Well yes they were always the main focal point of the series

Series 1's main story centred on their courtship, engagement and marriage

Series 2 - their initial struggles with married life, trying to find a place to live and homesickness

Series 3 - their reconciliation, pregnancy attempts, infertility and subsequent successful pregnancy attempt

The other characters just played supporting roles around all this

This Christmas special was just a catch up for everyone. Gavin and Stacey's story is told. Theyre now just your average normal settled married couple of 10 years. They've been through all the trials and tribulations many marriages go through really , bar infidelity which was considered but would be too dark for a happy Christmas special. So as a result the focus wasn't as much on them in the special

Well yes they were always the main focal point of the series

Series 1's main story centred on their courtship, engagement and marriage

Series 2 - their initial struggles with married life, trying to find a place to live and homesickness

Series 3 - their reconciliation, pregnancy attempts, infertility and subsequent successful pregnancy attempt

The other characters just played supporting roles around all this

This Christmas special was just a catch up for everyone. Gavin and Stacey's story is told. Theyre now just your average normal settled married couple of 10 years. They've been through all the trials and tribulations many marriages go through really , bar infidelity which was considered but would be too dark for a happy Christmas special. So as a result the focus wasn't as much on them in the special

Not sure I agree that they were the focal point, I think they were just the vehicle to drive the rest along.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

gavin is not far off the Dave character from the royale family in the gormless department

him and stacey are the perfect couple in that they are such inherently boring people

Like basically any real life couple I know in their 30s onwards :D

Kids, mortgages, career focus tends to do that to people.

That's the point. The show focuses on the development of a realistic late 20s couple and the real life challenges that marriage brings. By bringing together their quirky families is where the entertainment comes from

The supporting cast are all exaggerated characters for comic relief. I like the fact Gavin and Stacey are just your typical couple though ("boring" if you prefer) as they're the ones the audience can truly relate to, and it helps their abnormal associates to flourish even more

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    gavin is not far off the Dave character from the royale family in the gormless department

him and stacey are the perfect couple in that they are such inherently boring people

Stacey might be boring but she is also lush :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's on again on BBC London.
    I'm enjoying it again second time in a week.

gmisk wrote: »

Hard to see how they could get another series out of it but money talks I guess!
    elperello wrote: »
    It's on again on BBC London.
    I'm enjoying it again second time in a week.

Always pick some things up the second time, you never noticed initially

Pam after leaving the puddings behind "I can see them there, in my mind's aisle" :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

Sorry to jump in - but - having never watched an episode of this before, I watched the Christmas special. I found it to be good light hearted tv. Looking to watch all the episodes now but series 1 isn’t on Netflix? Where can I watch series 1 would anybody be able to tell me?

Advertisement