Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Prime Sport

• 26-12-2019 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I wonder will they expand this. If they had every game, I'd imagine they would see a huge uptake in Prime. Even if it was 200 euro a year.

It's hands down far better than Sky or BT.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Can't wait for it to become the norm, for one weekend in the year it's actually affordable to watch the football, build-up and commentary is excellent as well, although i'm not sure about jim Rosenthall(sp) would prefer someone else presenting.

Just can't justify paying sky/eir or whoever has the rights, it's just too expensive and i'd rather not have to sit through Burnley v Norwich to feel like i'm getting some value from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya the coverage is ideal. If you don’t have a smart tv/games console and/or bad internet you’re kinda in bother, but I like it.

Obviously being about 90 seconds behind actual live is a touch annoying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya the coverage is ideal. If you don’t have a smart tv/games console and/or bad internet you’re kinda in bother, but I like it.

Why is it behind?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Apparently in the next year the technology will allow sports to be streamed 'live'with no delay.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Why is it behind?!

Since it’s streaming over the web I don’t think it’s possible to have a faster feed

• Advertisement

Apparently in the next year the technology will allow sports to be streamed 'live'with no delay.

That will literally not be possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The delay is a bit annoying alright. If it’s a game you’re really invested in you have to put the phone / smart watch aside as the goal alerts will buzz at least a minute or two before you see it!

Otherwise it’s great. I’ve been trying NowTv for the last few weeks and I’ve been impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Don't mind a minute or two delay at all really....very handy service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Any articles relating to that . It would be an interesting read

why you say that ?

Any articles relating to that . It would be an interesting read

why you say that ?

For everything in the feed (commentary etc) it takes time for the feed to go through to receivers.

Betting companies/data companies etc receiving feeds get them from in-stadium cameras which have nothing to do with TV/Internet distribution (hence no scoreboard on their screens etc)

I don’t know fully about it, but the guys that sit in the department beside me in work are in Video Acquisition and it’s not possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For everything in the feed (commentary etc) it takes time for the feed to go through to receivers.

Betting companies/data companies etc receiving feeds get them from in-stadium cameras which have nothing to do with TV/Internet distribution (hence no scoreboard on their screens etc)

I don’t know fully about it, but the guys that sit in the department beside me in work are in Video Acquisition and it’s not possible.

I'm just relaying what was discussed on The Last Word about it. They brought up the topic of the delay in transmission and they said that it was being worked on and that we'll have the tech to do it. Even satellite has a 20 second delay,watch a game on terrestrial TV along with satellite and you'll see the delay.

If there’s a huge increase in users won’t the quality and reliability go to pot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Strictly speaking the same applies to SAT TV. The lag is less, but still, its there.

I think what is meant is that its virtually live, a handful of seconds behind, as good as. Not 2 minutes behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If there’s a huge increase in users won’t the quality and reliability go to pot?

It's Amazon

RasTa wrote: »
    It's Amazon

That’s why it’s so surprising it’s actually decent at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Amazon own the biggest servers in the world all major streaming sites use there servers.

Amazon own the biggest servers in the world all major streaming sites use there servers.

I’m aware of what they have, I worked in one before, yet they’re fairly incompetent wither their streaming service normally. That’s what would worry me if their traffic trebled overnight or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

No, it's multicast
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_multicast

Sounds good. They haven’t a massive pile to fix at this stage either so it’s good that this is the starting point and it can’t go backwards.

Do like this every game, every goal service. Sadly have to listen to John Hartson and Robbie Savage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    I wonder will they expand this. If they had every game, I'd imagine they would see a huge uptake in Prime. Even if it was 200 euro a year.

It's hands down far better than Sky or BT.

Although the ability to show all games is new it could still be a while before it becomes the norm.

The EPL was built on the idea that all 20 teams shared the TV revenue.

If you move to a situation where all games are available then there will be an obvious difference between audiences for the big teams compared to the smaller teams.

So the big teams will want a bigger cut of the revenue as they will be pulling the bigger audiences.

The next TV rights deal will be interesting if it moves in that direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I’m aware of what they have, I worked in one before, yet they’re fairly incompetent wither their streaming service normally. That’s what would worry me if their traffic trebled overnight or something.

Good to know you are the go to poster then for the future since you worked for them and are aware of what they have.

Good to know you are the go to poster then for the future since you worked for them and are aware of what they have.

I wasn’t in any technical end of it, nor was I there for long, but they do like to blow themselves off to you as part of the induction so you hear all the ‘biggest’ and ‘most’ stats.
    I was just answering back your condescending post like you were talking to someone who thought all they did was shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Have you had issues with Prime Video?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Have you had issues with Prime Video?

I’ve had lots of issues with their tv shows crapping out and going back to the start, or not being able to continue to next episode, stuff like that. No such issues with Netflix, Apple TV, etc and my broadband is excellent.

I wasn’t in any technical end of it, nor was I there for long, but they do like to blow themselves off to you as part of the induction so you hear all the ‘biggest’ and ‘most’ stats.
    I was just answering back your condescending post like you were talking to someone who thought all they did was shopping.

No blue badge for you so.

RasTa wrote: »
    No blue badge for you so.

Maybe for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I think it's brilliant, having the option of choosing what game you want to watch, I wasn't really excited looking at the 3pm kick offs today so I'm watching the every game every goal. I think it's a fantastic service and hopefully it will continue in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Since it’s streaming over the web I don’t think it’s possible to have a faster feed

This.

It’s always behind. Even watching on the official skygo app on desktop it’s a good 90 secs behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

The sooner Amazon prime is available to all the better. The quality on premier sports red button is shocking for the matches. It’s actually worse than 360p quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just watching it now, the the only problem I've seen so far is , they interviewed people and the pics and sound were slightly out of sync.
    Should probably post that in AH

Much better than Sky's coverage. Massive success. We'll be hopefully seeing more of Amazon in this space.

The sooner Amazon prime is available to all the better. The quality on premier sports red button is shocking for the matches. It’s actually worse than 360p quality

It is available?

6 wrote: »
    It is available?

The soccer isn’t officially available so you’re still reduced to messing with hooky workarounds to get it. Premier Sports are the rights owners of these games for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

A two minute online chat conversation was all it took for me months ago.

Hardly taxing.

• Advertisement

The soccer isn’t officially available so you’re still reduced to messing with hooky workarounds to get it. Premier Sports are the rights owners of these games for Ireland.

Pretty straightforward workarounds tbf.

I'd imagine it'll be officially available fairly soon.

adox wrote: »
    A two minute online chat conversation was all it took for me months ago.

Hardly taxing.

Exactly. Incredibly simple.

Exactly. Incredibly simple.

I’ve read a good few people getting knocked back when looking for it changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pretty straightforward workarounds tbf.

I'd imagine it'll be officially available fairly soon.

Depends on your definition of soon I suppose. The current round of deals is for 3 years. This being year 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Problems might arise if they decide ( or are told) to switch all the accounts back if premier sports, say, get the jump.

• Advertisement

Depends on your definition of soon I suppose. The current round of deals is for 3 years. This being year 1.

Ah ok, the two minute chat to alter regional settings the workaround so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This Liverpool game is the first time I've seen a football match in 4k HDR. Looks class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

lawred2 wrote: »
    I was

Add an NI address to your account and set it as the default.

Open chat and tell them you live in NI but Prime Video is saying you are in the Republic and ask them to fix it.

Took me 5 minutes about an hour ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Have to say i watch 4 games back to back yesterday all in 4k glitch free no buffering and loved every second of it. Just what Boxing Day is all about... ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its going to kill the EPL tho, Sky and BT pay for what they can afford to make back with subs. Amazon have a **** tonne of money that they can afford a loss year on year by paying over the odds for it.

It will give clubs a massive financial increase that if/when it goes tits up sky and Bt wont be able to replicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Being 30 to 45 seconds behind does bother me though. It's not live live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

niallo27 wrote: »
    Being 30 to 45 seconds behind does bother me though. It's not live live

Satellite TV is on average 20/25 seconds behind. It's not really that big of a difference.. I tend to leave the phone down when watching on prime turn off the commentary.

I usually watch on an IPTV any so I'm used to the delay by now

Was this available in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭howiya

Was this available in Ireland?

Technically no as Premier Sports have the rights to these games in Ireland in addition to the 3pm games.

However this thread and others have many posters who have got Amazon to switch their region from Ireland to the UK in order to enable them to watch through Amazon.

This is essentially a three year trial. They have two rounds of games a season. If it were to increase in the future you would expect to see the Irish tv rights holders be more active in preventing foreign rights holders enabling people to watch the content.

• Advertisement
Advertisement