Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N26 or Revolut?

• 26-12-2019 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭

Which is best in terms of value?

I see N26 have not fees for EUR withdraws where as Revolt have a 200 limit. I do travel to the Uk a lot so would N26 charge fees for Sterling withdrawals?

From observations Revolt appears more popular here but that could be because they launched first?

I mostly use Curve for online transactions and avoid FX fees.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Have to say N26. Revolut sneakily charge transaction fee at weekends. That’s enough for me anyway.
    Have a Revolutnaccount but never bothered getting the card once I realised that.

Have to say N26. Revolut sneakily charge transaction fee at weekends. That’s enough for me anyway.
    Have a Revolutnaccount but never bothered getting the card once I realised that.

No they don’t, they charge an almost meaningless currency exchange mark up to cover their asses. It can be gotten around by exchanging money in advance but it’s so low it’s not really worth the hassle.

Personally I find Revolut far superior to N26. I have both and use Revolut every single day and use N26 once every few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

It's not a sneaky transaction, Saturday and Sunday are not FX currency trading dates thus the additional margin they charge on weekends is them effectively insuring themselves on the risk if there are volatile currency movements when the FX markets open early on the Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have both but use Revolut much more. I load it as I need it and use google pay with it for my day to day.

I didn’t bother getting a physical card as I’ve no need for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Elysium1

I was living in the UK earlier in the year but used Transferwise which had tiny charges for moving money which was instant, I loved it.

I’ve been using Revolut and N26 recently. N26 partners with Transferwise for FX. They do have some atm limits-5 uses per month then they charge a fee.

For FX, I think the reality is they are more similar than different when you look at features and charges. A lot of people on Boards seem to use Revolut and swear by it. I had manyissues with them and N26 ‘just worked’ so that’s my main bank account now.

I read sometimes on Reddit - watch out if you lose your phone. Banking with these digital banks when you lose phone becomes a nightmare. Also, overall, digital banks are not regarded well for customer support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,641 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Have both. Use N26 day to day. Revolut when travelling and buying online from abroad.

Revolut all the way. Topping up on N26 is glacial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Revolut all the way. Topping up on N26 is glacial.

Does the bank you're transferring from not use SEPA instant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

OP, if you have curve, do you really need N26 or Revolut?

McGaggs wrote: »
    Does the bank you're transferring from not use SEPA instant?

I don’t know. It used to take days and then when Revolut brought out Google and Apple Pay support I never used it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

N26 is an actual insured bank and Revolut is an EPI (electronic payment institution, like PayPal) so while similar, they both have their individual preferences. I use N26 for day to day and Revolut is for food shopping (2 cards for me / wife) or payments from friends. They work best when you're using both, there doesn't need to be a choice here.

Also it should be known, N26 are beta testing top ups via Google Pay (so any card attached to your account) which is very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

So in the end I went for Revolut as a mate got around 6 quid for referring me.

So I have EUR and GBP accounts both free. My question is if I open a USD is that also free. I don't intend to use it. I am expecting a payment in USD soon and would rather keep it than convert over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Yes USD free.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Stewball

Got an email from N26 looking for my Tax ID number.

Anyone get a similar email? Do I need to give them the information to keep my account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Stewball wrote: »

Anyone get a similar email? Do I need to give them the information to keep my account?

your PPSN, farily standard thing for a bank to need

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    your PPSN, farily standard thing for a bank to need

I've opened the account months ago - just thought it was a bit odd they were only looking for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Could be a phishing e-mail when they use a wrong term like that. In the UK it's called a National Insurance number, here it's your PPS(N) number.

Are they looking for an e-mail reply or did they supply a link to click on? If they gave you a link to click, hover the mouse over it and tell us what website it's pointing to.

coylemj wrote: »
    Could be a phishing e-mail when they use a wrong term like that. In the UK it's called a National Insurance number, here it's your PPS(N) number.

Are they looking for an e-mail reply or did they supply a link to click on? If they gave you a link to click, hover the mouse over it and tell us what website it's pointing to.

It was a genuine email.
    The email said to update the information via the app - which I've now done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

N26 are based in germany so i dont think its called a PPSN over there..

in fact its called a Tax ID

It was a genuine email.
    The email said to update the information via the app - which I've now done.

Did they ask for proof, like a scanned image of an official letter or your PSC card?

• Advertisement

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    N26 are based in germany so i dont think its called a PPSN over there..

in fact its called a Tax ID

You'd still expect them to use the appropriate term for the subject's country. To avoid confusion with something similar but different.

Did they ask for proof, like a scanned image of an official letter or your PSC card?

No, not yet anyway.

Advertisement